WWE Night Of Champions 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Sheamus vs Del Rio and Orton vs Ziggler can fuck right off. There's still some gas left in the Cena vs Punk tank, though. I'm hoping Survivor Series sets up Kofi vs Punk for the title at TLC. It won't, though. If Punk's going on to the Rumble to defend against The Rock, at TLC his viable options will be Cena (and it will be played out by December), Orton (like every Orton vs Punk match, it'd fall into the "well worked but no reason to give a shit" category), or Sheamus in a unification match.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Randy Orton needs some kind of rebirth or reinvention of some sort.

He is too one dimensional and has nothing to him. He doesn't really have a gimmick of any sort, and doesn't do anything stand-out. A lot the mid card roster have better gimmicks than he has.

I think he was getting the ump last night that Ziggler was getting more cheers as a heel than he was as a face, but it is his own fault in that there is nothing to him.

Nothing.

Just finished watching the show.

First off, nice pop for JBL as he was introduced for the commentary.

Intercontinental Title match was a bit of a mixed bag of OK to ropey. Did Sin Cara pull something in his mid-section or maybe damage his ribs, he seemed to moving really awkwardly for most of the match. Didn't really botch anything this time out, which is always a plus for him. Will say that that I felt the finish was a bit naff, but good to see Miz retain.

Bryan/Kane vs. Kofi/Truth - match was OK, but really made the tag team champions looks weak. Team Friendship on the belts without even trying to get along with eachother. The aftermath with the pair of them screaming "I'M THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!" (even though completely stupid) was a riot and had me in stitches when they were still doing it backstage later. Kane being giddy with excitement about going to Disney World may be the best thing I've heard all year.

US Title match was again an OK effort for what it was, but was never going to raise above anything of TV quality. Add to this, the build-up shows how fucking quickly WWE lost interest in Tensai. Going from beating John Cena in the main event of RAW to losing to Zack Ryder in a battle royale on the PPV pre-show. Complete waste of space and will be lucky if he's still there next summer, should have just stayed in Japan with Karl Anderson. that match itself, as I've just sai was nothing special that it couldn't have just been on TV any other week, and the Ryder novelty has definitely worn off now.

Orton/Ziggler wasnt as good as I thought it was going to be, having seen very good matches between the two of them on Smackdown, particularly last year. i dont know if its just because Orton bores me to death now or if it was just a night where it didn't seem to work. Not to say that the match was bad per se, it wasn't, but its not one that I'd want to see again.

Divas Title match was what it was...nuff said there.

Sheamus vs. Del Rio was again a decent scrap, and hopefully Sheamus is now going to move onto a new challenger having beaten ADR 3 times on PPV now. Not sure exactly who thats going to be exactly, but it needs to happen now. With Orton going off to do what he needs to for 12 Rounds: Reloaded, chances are he won't feature on the title picture until around about Survivor Series. Then you look at the Smackdown roster, and who exactly is there to challenge for the title? Chrisitan is being kept off TV until after TNA do Bound For Glory as hes expected to show up there for Sting's HOF induction, Barrett has only just returned to TV....the only person even remotely close to being a challenger for the title is Ziggler.

As for CM Punk vs. John Cena - haven't read the rest of peoples comments on it, but personally I loved it. Was equally as goo as the there clash at MITB 2011. Could Cena vs. Punk really be the MOTY two years running? Honestly, in my opinion is was that good. Punk's New York Yankees trucks were cool as fuck and a great heat device in Boston. And I loved the finish. Actually went out of my way to avoid seeing results this time. had my head in my hands as i thought that Punk's title reign had finally been ended...only to have the ref call it a draw and Punk escapes with the title in his hands by sheer luck. I didn't think that they would have Punk keep the title in Cena's hometown Awesome, simply awesome.

So in summery:

* A competent opener, strengthening Miz's position as IC champion

* Bryan/Kane providing great entertainment throughout the night

* Next to no sign of AJ 'heavy sided head' Lee

* Another Punk/Cena MOTY candidate

• Paid Members

Thought this was a good show. I've really missed JBL's commentary, and he did his usual great job of justifying the actions of the heels as much as possible but never going 100% cartoony heel announcer himself. Also a good amount of stressing the importance of all the titles and helping to tell the story of the matches by explaining the wrestlers' strategies and why a particular move or decision was a good or bad one.

I didn't think there was a dud match on the whole card, and most of them had a very hot closing stretch, helped a long by an extremely vocal crowd who only occasionally annoyed me with their over-smarkiness.

The main event was as excellent as you'd expect from Cena and Punk, but I thought Orton/Ziggler and Sheamus/Del Rio both delivered quality matches even though all four are still treading water a bit. Loved Heyman during the main event as well. The debate about him as a businessman/promoter is an endless one, but he'll always be one of my favourite on screen performers and promo guys. I also still love everything about Del Rio. What a guy.

Opening four way was good fun, Kane/Bryan's double act is ridiculously over and is very entertaining when it hits. I don't really trust the writers not to make me completely hate this within a few more weeks, but I think both Kane and Bryan have been doing a fantastic job with it. Daniel Bryan is so fucking good at everything.

Cesaro vs Ryder and Layla vs Eve were fine as well actually. Not many complaints at all about the show, it'd just be nice if some of the guys on it had more compelling reasons to be there.

• Paid Members
I think he was getting the ump last night that Ziggler was getting more cheers as a heel than he was as a face, but it is his own fault in that there is nothing to him.

Nothing.

I'm not sure it is his fault. He's developed into a top class worker. He's got the look, the shape and the ability. Yet he's had nothing written for him since he turned babyface. There isn't a single reason to care about the character. They've been happy to coast along, chuck him out for very little reason in the knowledge that his music guarantees a bit of a pop. I know that's true of most people on the roster but in the case of a guy as over as Orton was a year or two ago, it's pretty inexcusable.

I know he's a crap interview which means he'll never be a Steve Austin but he's better than what they've done with him the last two years. I'd chuck him in with Heyman, he'll be a star heel again in 3 months.

the only complaint I have is after a 27 minute high impact match in which he absorbed all of his opponents finishers, borrowed or otherise, and escaped them barely at the last second, and after hitting a german suplex from the top rope, as soon the bell rang, Cena is running around like a goon compleltely no selling said punishment hes just received.

But thats the John Cena psychology we've come to expect

Nothing.

I'm not sure it is his fault. He's developed into a top class worker. He's got the look, the shape and the ability. Yet he's had nothing written for him since he turned babyface. There isn't a single reason to care about the character. They've been happy to coast along, chuck him out for very little reason in the knowledge that his music guarantees a bit of a pop. I know that's true of most people on the roster but in the case of a guy as over as Orton was a year or two ago, it's pretty inexcusable.

I know he's a crap interview which means he'll never be a Steve Austin but he's better than what they've done with him the last two years. I'd chuck him in with Heyman, he'll be a star heel again in 3 months.

Fair comment about the writers not giving him anything, but the character itself is stale. What does Randy Orton stand for? Who is he? Why should I care about him? He doesnt really have any fire to him. Not in his matches or his promos.

I don't think the writers invented Jericho or told him how to perform and change his character and reinvent himself, that was pretty much his doing.

I would have him "suspended" or something for demanding a championship match and threatening AJ, then have him randomly coming through the crowd over a number of weeks to RKO random people during matches, until he gets his title match.

Or something, where I think he's worth watching.

Nothing.

Fair comment about the writers not giving him anything, but the character itself is stale. What does Randy Orton stand for? Who is he? Why should I care about him? He doesnt really have any fire to him. Not in his matches or his promos.

I don't think the writers invented Jericho or told him how to perform and change his character and reinvent himself, that was pretty much his doing.

I would have him "suspended" or something for demanding a championship match and threatening AJ, then have him randomly coming through the crowd over a number of weeks to RKO random people during matches, until he gets his title match.

Or something, where I think he's worth watching.

Well it'd be Booker he'd threaten, I don't think him threatening a lass would go down too well in the PG era!

Great show, second best of the year behind Extreme Rules. Punk/Cena was one of the best WWE matches this year and Team Friendship are terrific. Long may they reign as WWE Tag Team Champions. Pleasure to hear JBL on commentary again working with Michael Cole, shame it came about with King's heart attack.

• Paid Members

Glad to hear Bryan/Kane took the belts.

Its a funny thing with the tag division. I personally couldn't care less if you are an actual team or not, but you need a reason to be together for it to work. Odd couples are great examples of this , they hate each other (or one hates the other) but rely on each other to be champions. (One of my favorite tag teams was Charlie Haas and Rico, great but really simple idea ).

I've actually hated "Ghana get got" (Kofi / R-truth) as to me they've had no real reason to tag together at all, and have been utterly shite as champions. I also thought the same about Air Boom as well.

Hoping Bryan/Kane keep them for a while anyway!

Glad to hear Bryan/Kane took the belts.

Its a funny thing with the tag division. I personally couldn't care less if you are an actual team or not, but you need a reason to be together for it to work. Odd couples are great examples of this , they hate each other (or one hates the other) but rely on each other to be champions. (One of my favorite tag teams was Charlie Haas and Rico, great but really simple idea ).

I've actually hated "Ghana get got" (Kofi / R-truth) as to me they've had no real reason to tag together at all, and have been utterly shite as champions. I also thought the same about Air Boom as well.

Hoping Bryan/Kane keep them for a while anyway!

The Kofi/Truth team just reeks of TNA PCS Bob Backlund rules...

"So, why are me and Kofi a tag team now...?"

"Because you are both black"

"Oh."

All the matches were good, but I've seen these matches so many times. Alberto vs Sheamus, Ziggler vs Orton and Cena vs Punk have been done about 60 times on PPV and TV. And the matches ended with the same result as always. The definition of a B-show.

I still think Cena/Punk was fresh enough, since they put a decent enough effort into the build. I skipped through Alberto/Sheamus as no amount of hype could get be interested in seeing that again. It took all my mighty strength to watch Orton/Ziggler, though I'm glad I did as it turned out really well.

Sin Cara looked pretty shit tonight after one of his better showings this past Smackdown. Crowd couldn't have given a single fuck about a "showdown" between him and Rey either.

• Paid Members
Sin Cara looked pretty shit tonight after one of his better showings this past Smackdown.

Really? He supposedly walked out of the building after his match on Smackdown because the match fell apart and everyone freaked out because of how bad it was.

Here's a news piece on it:

- The match with Sin Cara vs. The Miz on Friday’s SmackDown was heavily edited, as you probably could tell by watching the match. Fans in attendance noted to us that it was one of Cara’s most-botched performances yet.

Word is that Cara went missing backstage for a while after the match. People were looking for him but he was nowhere to be found. Cara was seen walking from the ring to the backstage area shaking his head. The feeling was that Cara knew that the match didn’t go well at all.

300zhv5.jpg

I think Randy Orton needs some kind of rebirth or reinvention of some sort.

He is too one dimensional and has nothing to him. He doesn't really have a gimmick of any sort, and doesn't do anything stand-out. A lot the mid card roster have better gimmicks than he has.

Nothing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Orton's got the psycho/loner gimmick and he performs it very well (and people are into it)... It's just that they never really do anything with it. And he's an absolutely shit promo. Orton needs the writers to give him scenarios that work for his character, and they rarely do. He can't just go out there like Cena and Punk and wing it and make a good fist out of something generic. He needs the writers to make him interesting, and I think they forgot about him when Punk became the new "edgy" babyface main eventer. With Punk back on the heel side, and Sheamus going more in the Cena direction, they might put some creative focus back on how to use Orton.

the only complaint I have is after a 27 minute high impact match in which he absorbed all of his opponents finishers, borrowed or otherise, and escaped them barely at the last second, and after hitting a german suplex from the top rope, as soon the bell rang, Cena is running around like a goon compleltely no selling said punishment hes just received.

But thats the John Cena psychology we've come to expect

Who is on the cover of issue 218?

Archived