WWE Night Of Champions 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

uRBhX.png

Getting booed and you're a face? Throw in a sneaky middle finger during your 'wake up taunt moment'. I'm pretty sure he said something right before he did the DDT spot on the barricade, I've re-watched it and it got muted out, not sure if it was just a drop in the feed I'm watching but given the finger straight after...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a little bereft of talking points, but it was a great show. Cena/Punk was predictably brillo, and the finish keeps the belt on Punk a bit longer which is nice for his long reign day counting.

I maintain the opinion that Miz will make a brilliant babyface one of these days. Every now and then, there's a scenario in which he overcomes a few odds and the fans fucking love it. I really enjoyed the IC despite not really giving a shit about the other three too, so fair play to them.

This is that time of year where you wish there was just one less show, because HIAC seems like a right fuck on to deal with when they could be looking towards the Survivor Series as a significant checkpoint for things. The Punk character at the moment is better with the belt than without, so I'm more interested in whatever they drum up on Raw as a result.

I thought today, could they go for Brock running in in the probably Cell rematch to help Heyman's man Punk, relighting the interest in a Cena/Brock rematch at Survivor Series which lets Brock get another big win before whatever they've got planned for him at Mania?

The main event was all kinds of awesome, Paul Heyman ringside was great as he wasn't really going mental (eg. Vickie Guerrero) which I think would have taken away from the atmosphere and he also left it all about the two guys in the ring as when they went to the ringside area he'd step back inbetween the commentary desks and never looked like he'd interfere at all. Then secondly the crowd were amazing, the atmosphere was always going to be a good one being in Cena's home town and I expected some Punk fans too so it was a good mix but as someone at work mentioned to me it's pretty bad going to your home town and having an audible part of the crowd boo you but I think that goes well with Cena's character as you either love him or hate him. And also on a side note I thought the Fight Against Cancer campaign with the shirts and what not and I'm guessing that's why the middle rope was pink too, but yeah I thought it was very well done out of WWE there. The match itself was tremendous too, I love when these two guys face each other in highly anticipated matches for the WWE Title as you never really know what the outcome will be, you know you're pretty much guaranteed a brilliant match with great storytelling throughout but you can never really 100% guess what might happen. The fact that Punk and Cena have such brilliant matches together says a lot about the two of them, they have amazing chemistry and obviously Punk is a great wrestler and has brilliant charisma and everyone knows Cena also has great charisma but he is also a very good wrestler despite what we all say and what certain fans chant at him, if he couldn't wrestle then I doubt there would be so many fans raving about last night's match right now. Lastly the finish of the match was ingenious, absolute gold, as soon as the three count was done and Cena jumped up celebrating and his music hit I thought oh no, what an awful result, mainly due to me being a big Punk fan but also because I'd like him to go at least a year with the Title, it'd bring a lot of credibility to it. I always think the face is better going for the Title rather than holding it too, I think the heel works well as a character who is slightly cowardly and sometimes uses underhand techniques to win but also shows that they don't need to use them all of the time and can just about hang in there with the face, which is exactly what happened last night. Punk had Heyman ringside but he only watched and he didn't really do anything underhand and even when everyone thought Cena had done it he somehow found a way to keep hold of his Title. The end was great, I know some people disagree but it really brings the story on and when I saw Cena celebrating I zoned out only to then see a bit of commotion and hear it announced a draw, to do it in Cena's hometown where he would get the biggest cheer for winning the Title was great too as it gave them the moment to think their hometown guy had done it only for the heel to sneak out with the draw and hold on to his Title. As you can tell I lved the whole match.

The rest of the event I'll have to rewatch as I fell asleep for the majority of it, luckily woke up just in time to see the main event though.

Cracking PPV last night, Orton/Ziggler and Punk/Cena were the stand out matches for me although the 4-way was decent also. Great having JBL on commentary andd it seemingly allowed Cole to revert back to how he was pre-turn. The backstage skit with the therapist, AJ, Kane and Bryan was hilarious and I'm pretty sure AJ had nothing on under the shirt, though I might have been my eyes playing up. The only thing I didn't like was how obvious they made it that it was Eve who took out Kaitlyn in order to worm her way into the title match

All the matches were good, but I've seen these matches so many times. Alberto vs Sheamus, Ziggler vs Orton and Cena vs Punk have been done about 60 times on PPV and TV. And the matches ended with the same result as always. The definition of a B-show.

While I agree on the other two, I never tire of seeing Cena vs Punk and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it again.

• Paid Members
The only thing I didn't like was how obvious they made it that it was Eve who took out Kaitlyn in order to worm her way into the title match

Isn't that the whole point? Everyone is supposed to see that Eve is scheming and plotting and that her supposed change in ways is a lie... except for Booker T, who she has completely fooled.

A good PPV last night. Not a great one, but very enjoyable nonetheless. All of the matches were good at the least. The whole thing was built around the 3 big, long singles matches, the first 2 (Orton/Ziggler & Seamus/Del Rio) certainly being pretty good overall, but didn't offer anything new and were dragging on a bit by the end. I thought Cena vs. Punk was terrific, though. Not at the level of their MITB 2011 effort, but miles better than their Summerslam 2011 rematch.

I was sure with Ziggler losing earlier on and so much of Seamus' match being built around an injured arm that we would see a surprise MITB cash-in, but it wasn't to be.

The 4-way was decent, the tag match was entertaining and the womens' match wasn't too shabby before they dragged on too long and outstayed their welcome.

Also, I was absolutely convinced that there was an image of Chris Benoit with the US title during the opening video package, so much so that I hit rewind and still couldn't make out whether it was him or possibly Jericho. I'm guessing the latter...

I was dog tired watching this live so will need to see it again but thought Orton v Ziggler had a great match. Cena v Punk was very good as well. I'm glad they did that finish rather than hot potato to belt again and stop punks run. It's the best thing they have going on right now so I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the story told in the Cena/Punk match, made it a bit different from their other bouts. Once Cena went for the bridge after the Super German Suplex you knew what was going to happen. I agree with NEWM that Punk's character is better with the belt at the minute, hopefully he 'Flairs' his way to that Rumble match with The Rock, then The Rock beats him. Keeping the belt off Cena a bit longer will work better for The Rock re-match IMO.

Team Friendship is living up to its potential. Few do an odd couple storyline better than Kane. The crowd are well into both men too, which is unheard of for a tag team in WWE these days. I second the idea of them doing skits at Disneyland. AJ is horrible.

Can't really remember much else, other than thinking Orton is on the long road of midcard nothing (it was a good match with Ziggler, but I really don't care about anything Ziggler does).

• Paid Members

The finish to the IC match was great.

I fell for the WWE Title finish hook, line and sinker, I was getting annoyed on Twitter that Cena had won. Great match and great finish. I felt CM Punk's Rock Bottom was awesome too.

I hope Punk comes out tonight and unveils a new belt.

I was so well behaved! I managed to see no spoilers before seeing the evening showing at my local cinema in Melbourne. So I loved it.

Mind the one thing that really bugged me was that, even though there were kids in the audience, you had guys in the back swearing and screaming how fake something is. Shits.

Anyway, generally a good show with the US, tag and WWE title matches really standing out. Great fun.

Archived