Death in Wrestling in 2012

NEWM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In terms of what would have the biggest effect on me, it would of course be the favourites Taker, HBK, Foley and Jericho. Can't really see any of them going soon, although Foley maybe looks like he should already have gone.

The most interesting one to look at, in my opinion, as having the biggest effect on the WWE would be HHH. He's the obvious successor to Vince at the top and although there will be obvious changes I can imagine it being quite a transitional process. If HHH was to croak it, then Vince shortly after who could you imagine running the company? Stephanie or Linda? Fuck that. Shane's doing pretty nicely for himself now so I can't imagine he'd want to take the risk of jumping ship to a declining business. I imagine there'd be a buy-out by Red Bull, some shitty American sports company or something along those lines.

The only 1 I can think of that hasn't been mentioned and I can't really say it'd be a shock but if Kurt Angle dies then I'd expect shit to fly.

You have a guy who was on death watch in WWE, released for fears of his health and was picked up by another company the second his no compete expired. So maybe these days hes not in quite as bad shape but still I'd say he's one bad bump away from at least being paralyzed and I wouldn't rule out dieing in a match with the state of his neck. Youd think the company that brought him in would have better plans for him than moonsaults off cages and my personal favourite "We have this guy we want to debut and try to make a legit main eventer, his finisher will be to put someone on the turnbuckles and dump them on their head. I know lets put him against Kurt, have him beat him by that finisher and have him do it after every run in." I don't think I ever cringed so much as I did when I knew that spot was coming up again.

If both Vince and Trips popped their clogs it would really be a mental situation.

It's not like the old days where there are a bunch of quality bookers out there that you could bring in and hope they can do the job. There is no-one out there at the moment that they'd trust with the Book, so it would end up being the same bunch of useless fucks that are writing at the moment, but without Vince and Triple H there to influence or over-ride them. Back in the day there were always options; Dusty, Watts, Jerry Jarrett, JJ Dillon, even outside chances like Jim Ross or Dutch Mantell. No-one like that is getting anywhere near the WWE book in 2012. Your Cornettes and Heymans are even less likely. It would just be Stephanie and her boobs running rampant.

I just don't know what to make of Kurt Angle. For years, the scuttlebutt was that he was the king of conditioning, a supremely trained athlete with a really professional attitude to keeping himself in shape. Then all of a sudden he was getting kicked out of WWE and admitting he was popping pills, everybody had him on their death list, and yet he pops up in TNA and starts having great matches.

Then periodically he gets skeletal and you start thinking "uh oh" and then 6 months later he's back to looking in top nick (as he does at the moment).

He's either days away from death, or he'll live to 100 and still be having good matches in his 70s. He's an enigma.

Don't think any would shock me. Would still be pissed if it was a favourite though. We all know the risk is there, it's entirely plausible that it could happen to any of them, and there's a far greater chance of it happening in comparison to the average guy off the street.

That said, things seem to have calmed down in the last couple of years. Active guys in their 30 and 40's croaking certainly doesn't seem to be happening half as much nowadays as it was in the last decade (touch wood it continues like that, obv.). I think in the last 2 or 3 years, Savage, Kanyon and Doctor Eckeees were about the only ones that raised an eyebrow and they were all 'unnatural' - not related to wrestling, substance abuse etc.

• Paid Members

To be honest, with the business cleaning itself up a lot in the wake of the Eddie and Benoit double whammy and the lack of any high-profile wrestler deaths in the past couple of years, it has got to the point where I would be pretty shocked right now if the death of an active WWE wrestler was reported.

• Paid Members

If a plane crash killed the WWE roster on their last tour, they'd just scoop them up off the ground and hire new people. As long as there are wrestlers willing to break their backs, the WWE will live long into the future. All they would do is bring in people from FCW and bring Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Batista, Lesnar, Shawn Michaels and maybe Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan and Sting back and bring in Fit Finlay, Pat Patterson and Bret Hart as agents.

Looking at it, a plane crash and the subsequent death of the whole roster would probably make Raw more watchable.

Vince is on the out soon, surely. He's just turned 67 and this network thing is apparently testing him; MAHOOSIVE heart attack waiting to happen.

I'm surprised he hasn't had a brain hemorrhage with the way he went on sometimes. The video where he introduced the nWo was mental, I was convinced his brain would explode out of his head at one point.

Thing is, it doesn't just have to be a drug related death. We could wake up tomorrow to the news that CM Punk's bus had crashed and killed everyone on board.

On the topic of a plane crash, I find it hard to believe they would 'start over'. Even if they did bring some of the old guard back, how would you even begin to do two weekly TV shows and a pay-per-view every month with guys who are probably unknowns (FCW) to half the people that watch RAW and SmackDown every week?

Thing is, it doesn't just have to be a drug related death. We could wake up tomorrow to the news that CM Punk's bus had crashed and killed everyone on board.

the irony would be if the driver had be drinking.

if scott hall died it would shock me because that guy is indestructible

Archived