BOTTOM IS NOT BACK

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I'm Alan Partridge came back after 5 years and was solid, and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads was fucking amazing, even better than The Likely Lads, and one of the best sitcoms of all time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bollocks, Butch is right. Culture is amazing. The crossword conversation (especially the line "I think I'll just put bollocks.") is up there among the shows crown jewels. Next to the "duck" conversation in Carnival, quoted in its entirety in that other thread.

This is absolutely fantastic news. Bottom is my favourite comedy ever, I'm delighted it's coming back.

Whenever it gets mentioned on compilation "100 best comedies ever" type shows they only seem to go on about the slapstick comedy violence but that was never the funniest stuff for me. Like the pin the nail on the donkey scene someone mentioned before it was always the two characters that made it so brilliant. These two incredibly pathetic lonely weirdos.

The bit in the first series when they're minding the shop and he threatens that old woman had me crying with laughter. just the stupidity of it.

It started off with a bit of pathos actually, before it went all out silly. I wonder if they'll go back to that?

• Moderators

I think the pathos, the absurd, and existentialist nature of it is what makes it great. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of Waiting for Godot, and also has tastes of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead for me.

• Paid Members
I think the pathos, the absurd, and existentialist nature of it is what makes it great. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of Waiting for Godot, and also has tastes of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead for me.

...and the wanking jokes.

I'm refusing to be too negative about this until I'm watching it in glorious HD. I'm really interested to see what they do with the characters, now they're old(er) blokes.

Contest is my favourite episode of a comedy, ever. It's just too good.

'' Hahaha...... This is all sooooo silly!''

The following scene is just amazing, from Richie grovelling to having a full blown conversation with himself is golden.

• Paid Members
I worry about what a 53 year old Ric Mayall with brain damage is going to bring to the table.

This was my first thought, especially as Ade (I think) mentioned that Rik wasn't as capable of doing the violence after his accident. However, this isn't live, so they can work at a slower, safer pace.

However, as others have pointed out, it's not just the smacking each other with frying pans, it's the arguments that lead up to it.

And this thread gives me the shameless opportunity to remind people that this exists.

Archived