BOTTOM IS NOT BACK

PowerButchi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Resurrecting Bottom.... how exciting/terrifying.

To be fair they were losing legs and having them sewn back on backwards and all sorts in the series and that was forgotten by the next episode.

"Let's see how much mischief you can get up to without any legs!"

Excellent news.

One of my favourite shows ever, being done properly. Count me as one of those that got bored of the live shows towards the end, but the TV show was fucking great. If it can get anywhere near that form it will be the best British comedy TV show since Snuff Box.

I do hope that the Island location doesn't mean we get none of the other characters. They never gave a shit about logic back in the day, so i want Harry The Bastard and the like turning up randomly in washed-up crates and stuff.

I love Bottom, Hooligan's Island wasn't that bad if I remember correctly. Had a funny joke about an albatross. I hope it's still as good as ever, but I'm not surprised if it's not, but considering some of the shit on TV since it's been gone, I'm very excited.

• Moderators

I don't mind if it doesn't have the peripheral characters in it. I always thought Bottom was best when it was just those two, it was claustrophobic, tremendously played, and not just a little reminiscent of Waiting for Godot.

• Paid Members

You fucking well hit the clit right on the nail there, you cunting bastard.

EDIT - that was intended for iamtheman, although it holds true for Mike too. Gas probably just shades Hole as my favourite, for the "bollocks, you killed him" sequence, and of course Eddies passage in the gasmans log book.

• Moderators

Has to be Hole or Culture for me. Culture might just edge it. Half and hour of liquid gold.

Richie: What about "Pin the Tail on the Donkey"?

Eddie: We haven't got a donkey.

Richie: Well, "Pin the Tail on the Chicken"

Eddie: We haven't got a tail.

Richie: Oh. Well, "Pin the Sausage on the Chicken"?

Eddie: We haven't got a chicken.

Richie: Well, "Pin the Sausage on the Fridge".

Eddie: Or a pin.

Richie: "Sellotape a Sausage to the Fridge"!

Eddie: We haven't got a sausage!

Richie: "PUT A BIT OF SELLOTAPE ON THE FRIDGE!"

Eddie: It's not much of a game, is it?

Richie: Right, let me get this sorted out. Now the bent vicar stands next to the queen. And the queen goes in every direction.

Eddie: That's right.

Richie: And they let children play this, you say? I mean, it's pretty strong stuff, isn't it Eddie? You know, knights taking prawns? And apparently, if a prawn goes all the way he turns into a queen!

What comedies have ever successfully returned and been funny? I can't think of any. The new Monty Python sketches a few years ago, the later Only Fools and Horses, Red Dwarf, Harry Enfield (particularly Harry & Paul), Vic & Bob... all very disappointing and somewhat ruining the good memories.

More than any other artform, comedy is so.. of its time. Once the genre has moved on, it's hard to go back.

I'm not saying they can't pull it off, but... Bottom is sacred. At it's best, it was amongst the finest comedy Britain has ever produced, IMhumbleO. They kept the great British tradition of slapstick alive and brought it up to date. Charlie Chaplin, Stan Laurel - we fucking own physical comedy. I worry about what a 53 year old Ric Mayall with brain damage is going to bring to the table.

I know, I'm a party pooper.

Archived