Guys you thought would be the next big thing

AshC

First name that comes to mind is Sean O'Haire. He was just super impressive to me when he first showed up in WCW. He had a good look, size, was very athletic and his Swanton finish was a thing of beauty. I was convinced he was going to be a top star at some point. And then WCW closed its doors. And things didn't exactly work out for him in WWE either. Shame.

Wrath is another one. Not exactly a newcomer but to me he was. You see, I had been kinda watching wrestling for a couple of years before that (mostly WWF) but 1998 was the year I truly became a wrestling fan because of WCW. Goldberg was smashing dudes left and right. Then all of a sudden this Wrath guy showed up and started squashing dudes too. 12-year-old me was convinced if anyone in WCW could end Goldberg's streak it would be Wrath. I was totally expecting him to knock Goldberg off the throne and become THE man in WCW. And then Nash pinned Wrath on Nitro. 12-year-old me was crashed, even though the actual Nash/Wrath was rather enjoyable and I still vividly remember Nash giving him props afterwards.

There were some others as well but these two were the main ones for me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sanders3.jpg

"Above Average" Mike Sanders. Seemed to be tipped for big things in WCW and was pretty handy on the mic from what I remember. Now working as a comedian/motivational speaker.

desmondwolfe.jpg

You've gotta feel for this lad. Deserved at least a few years on a decent salary ala Joe, Aries or ideally Punk and Danielson.

As for Ken Kennedy, I think he could have gone on to be a star but I reckon backstage stuff put a halt to that.

Im gonna say Drew McIntyre. The guy has tons of talent, has the look and was pushed as 'The Chosen One'. Then his personal life seemed to mess things up for him.

Im also gonna say Reks, he just had the look of a star. Looked mean during matches too. Shame he's now left the company.

• Moderators

He isn't that great at it though. His work is decidedly mediocre, and he's not exactly "crisp" if that's what you're getting at either. In fact, the technical stuff and matwork done in Mexico is streets ahead of what Swagger does. Just because you're a successful amateur, doesn't mean you can parlay that into being awesome at doing that kind of thing in a Pro Wrestling setting. He's nowhere near a Nick Bockwinkel for using an "actual wrestling" style, for example.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

ohaire.jpg

I heard afterwards that he left and did MMA where he tried to win a match with a dropkick. Clearly not the smartest guy and unfortunately never really took off, but for me at one time, Sean O'Haire was destined to be the next breakout star. If he looks half as good as he does in that top picture today, he'd still be worth at least a midcard spot in TNA.

He makes a good living now as an Imagination Mover.

imagination-movers-scott-durbin-3.jpg

For me it was Ludvig Borga. Remember the first time seeing him was at Summerslam 93 where he effortlessly smashed through for IC champion Marty Janetty. Then next week footage was shown of him squaring up to Lex Luger, at that point it looked like he'd be the next big heel. He then made one more PPV appearance and then left

• Paid Members
Smart in theory, but looking back, it was never going to work - Piper would've upstaged pretty much anyone on that 2003 SmackDown roster in terms of promo so he was always going to upstage any proteg

Archived