Lumberjack matches

AshC

Have their ever been any really good lumberjack matches? I'm struggling to think of any. Especially in recent times, when the lumberjacks invariably end up battling one another other without too much of a reason. I know it's a gimmick that somewhat limits what the guys in there can do, but are there any examples matches that rise above the limitations of the stip? If not, it seems a bit of an odd one that it's endured for so long as a gimmick match when so many others (I'm thikning strap matches for one) have fallen out of fashion.

wwe-smackdown-lumberjack-560x313.jpg

• Paid Members

Daniel Bryan and Homicide had a weird one in 2005 in ROH. Weird mainly because the "lumberjacks" weren't roster members, just trainess and local talent. This did prevent any kind of mass brawl though and did lead to a pretty neat "superplex onto the lumberjacks on the outside" spot...

Eddie and Kurt had one in 2004 that was a real let down by their standards, and several ex-WWE people have said since that this was one of the nights where Eddie was a complete wreck - might also have been the match where Kurt and Eddie had a falling out over afterwards... still there was a good bit at the end where Big Show returned and laid out the entire Smackdown roster...

I would say the best one I have seen is the Steamboat/Vader 'Human Cage' match from 1993 - has a bit of a shoddy finish but very good otherwise...

Youtube Link

I liked the Luger/Sting Lumberjack Cast match at Starrcade '99 where all the Lumberjacks were people Luger had injured on his rampage.

My favourite, though, is probably Cena/Sabu at Vengeance '06. I enjoyed the WWE vs. ECW dynamic in the build and the match.

I'd say the Lumberjack is the most consistently awful gimmick match of all time. Dross like the blindfold match and the tuxedo match get rare outings and thus don't offend as regularly, but the dreadful Lumberjack matched is wheeled out a few times a year.

There has been the odd rewarding one down the years, such as the previously-mentioned Sid/Diesel and Sabu/Cena efforts. I'd add the Bret Hart vs Owen Hart clash from one of the Coliseum Video releases around '94 as being a decent effort, but nothing like what they could have managed without the albatross of the Lumberjack stipulation around their necks. I also remember Eddie Guerrero and Triple H contesting an okay one at one of the draft lottery Raws. Usually however it just degenerates into predictable out-of-the-ring brawling and is pretty much a lazy booking device for when they don't want either man to have to lose.

• Paid Members
I liked the Luger/Sting Lumberjack Cast match at Starrcade '99 where all the Lumberjacks were people Luger had injured on his rampage.

I think that was Uncensored 2000 mate. I quite enjoyed that one too as it goes. I really like the visual of a lumberjack match, but the actual match quality never seems to be too memorable.

• Paid Members

I'll go with Diesel/Sid as my favourite one as well. Mainly for the spot where Nash says "fuck this safe-style bullshit" and busts out the Tope Con Diesel for the first time since he left Madagascar.

At 6:35

I also remember Eddie Guerrero and Triple H contesting an okay one at one of the draft lottery Raws.

That was just a normal match. It did end with a mass brawl between the Raw and Smackdown guys, though.

That 'Human Cage' match was such a disappointment after the absolutely BELTING Steamboat and Vader had prior to it - a match so good, it wasn't even blighted by a countout finish. Was HBK vs Hacksaw any good? Not watched it in ages, remember being hyped up for it but that may have been youthful exuberance!

That 'Human Cage' match was such a disappointment after the absolutely BELTING Steamboat and Vader had prior to it - a match so good, it wasn't even blighted by a countout finish. Was HBK vs Hacksaw any good? Not watched it in ages, remember being hyped up for it but that may have been youthful exuberance!

Afraid not, pretty dire to be honest, WCW back in the early 90's seem to do these better than the rest but still never quite a match of the year candidate among them.

I'm sure they did the spike tombstone on Mankind as well around the same time - but yes, that was a dangerous spot - I wonder if it was as dangerous as the top rope tombstone piledriver that I'm sure I saw Justin Credible do on Jerry Lynn in ECW...

Back on topic, wasn't there a lumberjack fans with straps revenge match between Samoa Joe and Jeff Jarrett that was disappointing? I'm sure it was Joe's first less than decent effort in TNA up to that point...

Archived