UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Hendo's gone on Twitter and been on about how great he feels and how awesome training was and stuff.

Dan Henderson: "Just got done with a great training session with the boys. @CyrilleDiabate @tarecfighter @heathlsims @RFBJJ @rockholdMMA"

It all seems so fishy though.

Even Ariel Helwani tweeted how odd it was

Ariel Helwani

Every person attached to that Hendo tweet promptly retweeted it in some form moments later. Impressive.

And also Tarec Saffiedine was mentioned as training with Hendo. But when he was initially asked about the injury rumour he tweeted that he hadn't even seen Hendo for a while. He's since deleted that comment after Hendo tweeted that he was fine which makes me think he didn't know and was later told and they're trying to cover up.

Here's the deleted tweet

A09YNaMCEAI_dVm_medium.jpg

So he can't have been training with Hendo can he.

He's injured. Why would Saffiedine even bother deleting anything unless they were hiding something? Too much smoke to be no fire knocking about.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well as of now it seems like Hendo is going ahead and fighting Jon Jones with a duff leg so they might not even look at replacements. Hendo is a fucking nutter.

The problem with replacements for this fight is that Jones is the champion. If he wasn't they could pretty much throw anyone at him. But they can't give Hamill a title shot surely? He's coming out of retirement after back-to-back losses. Vera just lost to Shogun so it would seem wrong for him to now get the shot. And Vera's on medical suspension anyway. You can't have Chael walk right from losing one title shot, go up in weight and get an immediate shot.

It's a mess. Machida would be the only sensible option but on a week and a bit notice? I doubt he'd take it and I wouldn't blame him.

It sounds like we'll be getting Peg Leg Hendo vs Jones anyway. It's a shame if it's true because this is most likely Hendo's last big shot at a UFC title. And he has to fight the scariest guy out there on one leg.

• Paid Members
Any chance this might be a bit of mind games from Hendo's camp? Try and make Jones think he's facing a hurt Hendo when he's fine, might make Jones slack off a little bit.

Could be and I hope that's all it is. But it doesn't seem like Hendo's style to me.

Any chance this might be a bit of mind games from Hendo's camp? Try and make Jones think he's facing a hurt Hendo when he's fine, might make Jones slack off a little bit.

This is what I thought, but with all the different sources going about it looks like it might be true.

The only guy who would say yes to replacing Hendo is Chael, I doubt Machida or Shogun would and on one else springs to mind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If Hendo goes ahead with a peg-leg the whole thing could turn into a farce if he collapses half way through the first round like Justin Eilers did against Arlovski years ago.

• Paid Members

I can't believe someone suggested Matt fucking Hamill!

I reckon Hendo will gut it out. There's no one of note that will take this on such short notice, and Chael shouldn't be considered either IMO. Fuck knows what will happen. If they scrap the fight altogether this will be the least bought UFC PPV in years.

I still think Hendo with a bum knee is a dangerous man, just depends if it's his lead leg or not. He's enough of a vet where he's had to fight hurt a hell of a lot, I'm sure this will be another fight. All it needs is a cortozone shot the day before the fight to help him out.

• Paid Members

Plus Jones vs Sonnen down the line could be a big PPV fight. I doubt they'd waste it now with no real time to promote it or time for Chael to prepare anything. If Jones then wiped him out in a round then they couldn't exactly sell a rematch and they've eliminated a fresh challenger and a potential PPV mega fight in one fell swoop.

As much a fan of Chael as I am he's done nothing at 205 to warrant a title shot. Literally nothing.

Thing is though, if Hendo is not cleared to fight then they will still have someone to fight Jones.

Even if it is not Sonnen, they may have to turn to either Franklin or someone even worse. There is no way that they will not have Jones fight, none of the undercard fights could sell out my local town hall yet alone sell a PPV.

I think Hendo will end up fighting personally, but there is a real chance that this could turn nasty.

• Paid Members

Something that might have worked would be to pull Gustafsson from FOX 5 and do Jones vs Gustafsson. They could always put Little Nog vs Shogun on FOX instead. Gustafsson has done more at 205 than most. I realise a Bones vs Gusty PPV wouldn't set the world alight with buys but it would be a more credible option than most I reckon.

But its highly unlikely. The reason Gusty isn't fighting until December is because he's coming off a hand injury. I think he's only just started full training again so he wouldn't be ready yet.

But yeah Hendo is probably still fighting anyway so it's all moot.

Jon Jones was the favourite before the Dan Henderson injury talk came out. Dan Henderson beating the odds was a big story but it would be even bigger if an injured Henderson defeats Jon Jones.

I believe the Henderson injury talk so we'll have to see if he's allowed to go. Problem is if he is and breaks down quickly because of the injury (Jones using those push kicks to the knee). If he can't fight, the UFC might have their biggest ever replacement problem with the show so close to happening, finding someone who would fight Jones on short notice and the show needing a credible main event because we've all said the main card is weak, putting it kindly.

I've already said it but it's a shame the UFC didn't have two top Light Heavyweights fighting on the card who were already in training so one of them could be pushed up to the main event. Again the point stands, is a fighter willing to fight Jones as such short notice and take a chance at the opportunity?

• Paid Members

If he was to be replaced, I'm sure company man Rich Franklin would get a phone call. However I agree Hendo will likely tough it out. Also, it gives him a decent excuse if he loses to setup a rematch off of.

Archived