UFC 151: 'The Event That Never Was'

wandshogun09

Jon Jones says "that doesn't work for me brother"  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know all that and I've heard all the interviews from all parties. I'm saying it's not really 3 days notice. It's 3 days to alter an existing gameplan. He already had a full camp. "3 days notice" implies he hasn't been training at all and got a phonecall out of nowhere. It's skewing the facts. Guys who usually take fights "on short notice" haven't had a full camp and have questionable cardio, trouble making weight, etc. Jones doesn't fit that bill. He was just offered a new, and easier, opponent.

To be honest I've not heard it talked about as three days "notice". I've heard Jackson say numerous times that it's three days "prep time", which is different.

""Fighting somebody on three days' notice is not reasonable to me"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/28/32729...-not-reasonable

Listen to the interview. And the interview he did with Mauro Ranallo. And the interview he did with Josh Gross. He says numerous times that three days to prepare for another opponent is unrealistic and unreasonable.

You can play with words all you want, but the truth is, Jackson was 100% correct in the advice he gave his fighter.

In your opinion.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know all that and I've heard all the interviews from all parties. I'm saying it's not really 3 days notice. It's 3 days to alter an existing gameplan. He already had a full camp. "3 days notice" implies he hasn't been training at all and got a phonecall out of nowhere. It's skewing the facts. Guys who usually take fights "on short notice" haven't had a full camp and have questionable cardio, trouble making weight, etc. Jones doesn't fit that bill. He was just offered a new, and easier, opponent.

To be honest I've not heard it talked about as three days "notice". I've heard Jackson say numerous times that it's three days "prep time", which is different.

Listen to the interview. And the interview he did with Mauro Ranallo. And the interview he did with Josh Gross. He says numerous times that three days to prepare for another opponent is unrealistic and unreasonable.

You can play with words all you want, but the truth is, Jackson was 100% correct in the advice he gave his fighter.

In your opinion.

The first statement is 100% fact. As for the 2nd, why he would fight possibly the most lucrative opponent in the division at present with fuck all build and a weeks notice? That fight with Sonnen will happen barring a disaster, and you can bet it'll generate Jones a huge payday when it's finally done properly.

Sonnen will have the casuals believing he can win it, and the amount of people who tune in to see "the coward" Jones get his just desserts will be huge.

The UFC know it's the money fight at present, and they'll make sure it takes place.

In fact, I'll predict right now that Chael Sonnen won't fight Forrest Griffin in December. That card will be headlined by Jones vs Sonnen provided Jones gets past Belfort without much trouble.

• Paid Members

That's the thing though, and you've said yourself, he might not even get into contention at 205.

You're response to that will probably be, "Well, he doesn't deserve a shot at the title then", but that shouldn't matter to Jon Jones. By his own admission, he's really only interested in the big money fights. I doubt he really cares whos 'earned' a title shot.

If Jones had taken the Sonnen fight, He would have won, and made a boat load, after that, if Sonnen manages to fight into contention, he gets a rematch, and both of them go on to make more money than the first fight (See Silva/Sonnen 2 on how that works)

That is a better situation, than Chael not getting into contention at all, and Jones never getting the big money fight that he wants.

Damn it. I just want see Sonnen/Jones.

In your opinion.

The first statement is 100% fact. As for the 2nd, why he would fight possibly the most lucrative opponent in the division at present with fuck all build and a weeks notice? That fight with Sonnen will happen barring a disaster, and you can bet it'll generate Jones a huge payday when it's finally done properly.

Sonnen will have the casuals believing he can win it, and the amount of people who tune in to see "the coward" Jones get his just desserts will be huge.

The UFC know it's the money fight at present, and they'll make sure it takes place.

In fact, I'll predict right now that Chael Sonnen won't fight Forrest Griffin in December. That card will be headlined by Jones vs Sonnen provided Jones gets past Belfort without much trouble.

Do you think that Sonnen was really that high up on Jones plans? He is coming off a loss vs. Silva, a defeated middleweight title contender (again) to "in the mix" light heavyweight title challenger, all without, you know, actually fighting at light heavyweight to earn the spot.

The fight is more likely to happen now, on that I agree.

That's the thing though, and you've said yourself, he might not even get into contention at 205.

You're response to that will probably be, "Well, he doesn't deserve a shot at the title then", but that shouldn't matter to Jon Jones. By his own admission, he's really only interested in the big money fights. I doubt he really cares whos 'earned' a title shot.

If Jones had taken the Sonnen fight, He would have won, and made a boat load, after that, if Sonnen manages to fight into contention, he gets a rematch, and both of them go on to make more money than the first fight (See Silva/Sonnen 2 on how that works)

That is a better situation, than Chael not getting into contention at all, and Jones never getting the big money fight that he wants.

Damn it. I just want see Sonnen/Jones.

Oh, he'll get into contention for a shot at the title somehow, that's pretty much a certainty. I'll still say that he won't deserve it, but knowing the UFC's track record they'll fast track Sonnen to a title shot because it's the only money fight left in the division.

Now, you have to believe that if I and others on a wrestling forum in the UK know how the UFC work, Jones and his advisors know it as well. Sonnen will face Jones at some point, and the money made from it will dwarf any amount made from a hastily cobbled together fight with a weeks notice.

Archived