Super SummerSlam!

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Looking at my choices, you can probably tell I'm not half as emotionally invested as I used to be. Tricky to balance the guys I wanted with the matches I wanted and still have a feeling of a card that builds rather than just a random set of matches.

(1) Your opener, a one fall contest

1995 1-2-3 Kid VS Hakushi

That's what you want, isn't it? Punchy opener, energertic as you like but brief enough to get everyone's pulse racing without burning them out. Lovely stuff.

(2) For the WWF Womens Championship :

1994 Alundra Blayze VS Bull Nakano

Whether you usually bother with d'gorls or not, this is a great wrestling match. Anyone who disagrees is either upset they aren't prettier, or a different breed of moron.

(3) For the WWF Tag Team Championship :

1991 Nasty Boys VS Legion of Doom

Honestly, I already had ten matches when I realized I needed a tag team title match and rejigged, costing me my original opener. Power & Glory boys - I'm so, so sorry. Anyway, this is just loads of fun, The Mouth gets what's coming to him, and it's a feelgood ending.

(4) A Ladder Match

2005 Eddy Guerrero VS Rey Misterio

These guys will be synonymous with each other forever, so I thought we might as well have their most famous WWE match on there. This became an easy choice once I jettisoned Shawn/Razor and realized I had chance to put a different ladder match in their. Another feelgood happy ending, well unless you have a thing about sleazy latino wannabe homewreckers. A couple of shaky moments but ultimately great drama and the right result.

(5) For the Intercontinental title :

1991 Bret Hart VS Mr Perfect

What, instead of the Bulldog match?? Yeah, it's my card, what of it? If I want Hitman winning, he's winning. I was never going to have my SummerSlam without Perfect neither, do you want him wrestling the Red fucking Rooster? Plus Hart/Smithers needs going on top, and I had more than enough main event going on. This stays, complete with Bruce Hart in his High Energy headband, and Al Hays describing Stu as "lost for words" after he snatches the mic off him before he has chance to speak. Spiceworld.

(6) The best two out of three falls :

2000 Chris Benoit VS Chris Jericho

Getting two of my favourite wrestlers from the time in for a much-forgotten match, selected mostly to insert a good value slice of simple quality wrestling before the carnage the next two matches will provide.

(7) Hell In A Cell

2008 Undertaker VS Edge

A great, dramatic match with a good old fashioned revenge storyline running through it for a feelgood ending.

(8) A no disqualification, unsanctioned match

2002 Shawn Michaels VS Triple H

If the previous match was physical drama connected to the violence, this pips it for emotional drama. It's Shawn Michaels your boyhood hero coming back after a four year absence! Will his back hold up?? Will he still be the SHOWSTOPPA??? Every hiptoss could kill him you know! Plus his best mate betrayed him! You have to love this match, and it even threatens more feelgood, before Trips brings up back down to Earth with a cold hard THUD.

(9) For the WWE Championship

2003 Kurt Angle VS Brock Lesnar

What joy when you realize you havent got a title match and you haven't used either of these beasts. And it's a fucking good match too. The ending surprised the hell out of me at the time, somehow these pair wrestled each other for months and I never quite got tired of it. This is my title match, but don't go to bed yet kids, it's not the main event!

(10) Your main event - a tag team attraction

1989 Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake VS Macho Man & Zeus

Come on, you know you love it! It's the 80s and Hulkamania is running wild! Can Savage contain Zeus??? Just how much trouble are "HULK.... HOGAN!!!! and BEEFCAKE BARBER!!!!" in?? Lots. Sherri and Liz!! A purse gets in the ring!!! He picks him UPPPPP!!!! And about the best aftermath to a match you can imagine for, yes, a FEELGOOD ending. Don't know about you but I could watch Sherri kicking wildly in the clutches of the Hulks atomic drop for... oooohhh, seven or eight minutes.

SummeRaid, it's the feelgood hit of the summer.

Hogan, 20 years past his prime, in a classic old school performance, putting over a young star. A forgotten gem.

I must have blinked and missed that part of the match.

Main Event

WWF Championship Match: Undertaker vs Steve Austin - SummerSlam 1998

The build to this may be some of the best and most intriguing stuff the WWF has ever done and the match didn't disappoint either.

WWF Intercontinental Title Match: British Bulldog vs Bret Hart - SummerSlam 1992

An absolute classic and main event of the first WWF card I ever went to.

WWF Tag Team Title Match: Hardyz vs. Edge & Christian vs. The Dudleyz - SummerSlam 2000

An innovation and first match of its kind in the WWF. Would later spurn another classic at Mania 17

Tag Team Attraction: The Mega Powers vs. The Mega Bucks - SummerSlam 1988

A great main event with the backstory of Jesse Ventura perhaps being a biased ref and then Elizabeth's interference followed by the first signs of the Mega Powers' break-up

Jailhouse Match: Big Boss Man vs. The Mountie - SummerSlam 1991

Great to see the Mountie finally get his comeuppance and the vignettes afterwards are pure comedy gold.

Six-Man Tag: Bam Bam Bigelow & The Headshrinkers vs. Tatanka & The Smoking Gunns - SummerSlam 1993

Bit of a hidden gem this. All six guys just went out there and tore it up

Opening match: 1-2-3 Kid vs. Hakushi - SummerSlam 1995

Often overlooked but a great little light heavyweight bout with the US debut of the Space Flying Tiger Drop!

WCW Title Match: The Rock vs Booker T - SummerSlam 2001

Had to shoehorn Rocky in here somehow. This was a decent match, if a little bit of a foregone conclusion

Unsanctioned Match: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels - SummerSlam 2002

Never thought HBK would be able to come back and put on a match of this quality

Batista v John Cena - SummerSlam 2008

The two biggest new stars in the company squaring off in a knockdown, drag out affair.

Summerslam 1992 - Intercontinental Championship - Bret Hart © vs British Bulldog - Bret had so many great matches at Summerslam, but the match with Bulldog tops the list, amazing match, 30+ minutes of pure technical wrestling and fantastic storytelling, made both of them look like a million bucks after it, bonafide 5* classic.

Summerslam 2002 - Unsanctioned Match - Triple H vs Shawn Michaels - 4 years away from the ring and HBK turns up and pulls this out of the fire! Absolutely mental how it looked like he never missed a beat. Triple H just poured on the punishment and no one brings the emotion quite like HBK, the finish was clever, JRs commentary added volumes to the match, just made it seem like the impossible had happened. Triple H's post match sledgehammer attack was beautiful.

Summerslam 2001 - WWF Championship - Stone Cold Steve Austin © vs Kurt Angle - Wow, all I can say about this match is Wow! Heel Stone Cold was just as unstoppable in this match as Face Stone Cold, he absolutely battered the shit out of Angle for ages, gave him 3, fucking 3! Stone Cold Stunners, and that Red, White and Blue Machine just kept coming, Angle looked like a beast and it was a hell of a match.

Summerslam 1996 - Boiler Room Brawl - The Undertaker vs Mankind - This feud really turned Undertakers career around, from the mediocrity of 94-95 and feuding with Kama, King Kong Bundy and the rest of DiBiase's Million Dollar Corporation, to feuding with Mankind and oh what a change! The Boiler Room Brawl was just crazy, what a brawl, ladders, light tubes, chairs, stairs, tables, fire extinguishers, all sorts! Taker and Mankind really pulled out all of the stops, just quality.

Summerslam 2008 - Batista vs John Cena - A great match at an awkward time, easily could have headlined any PPV of 2008, but it was crammed into a PPV headlined by Edge vs Taker in Hell In A Cell, but I'm not complaining! Great match, up there with their Wrestlemania 26 match, lovely to see Cena lose clean for once.

Summerslam 2000 - Tag Team Championship - TLC - The Hardyz vs The Dudleyz vs Edge & Christian - An amazing match

Summerslam 2003 - United States Championship - Fatal 4 Way - Eddie Guerrero vs Rhyno vs Tajiri vs Chris Benoit

Summerslam 2007 - ECW Championship - John Morrison vs CM Punk

Summerslam 1999 - Love Her or Leave Her Match - Test vs Shane McMahon

Summerslam 2011 - Wade Barrett vs Daniel Bryan

• Paid Members
Got two matches from Summerslam 1991 there.

And??

Don't repeat gimmick matches (only one cage style match, only one ladder style match, etc) and use no more than 2 matches from one show.

Archived