Transfers that died on their arse :-(

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Reading the Transfer thread and with the Van Persie transfer being at such an advanced level of speculation, anything less than RVP in the red shirt of United would seem a crushing disappointment at the moment, it got me thinking. What have been your heart wrenching experiences with transfers regarding the club you support? The ones where for weeks you think you have them, you've changed their clubs on FIFA and stuff like that.

For me it was Alan Shearer. I was convinced United had him snapped up. I remember at Euro 96 telling all my mates "next year Shearer and Cantona will be fucked the likes of Juventus in Europe". Seems strange now but at the time people were saying "what the fuck would he go to Newcastle for? One season wonders/not in Europe/Keegans lost the plot" etc. Then he turned up in a Newcastle shirt one afternoon. I was in a safe place in Sunderland, though, because the whole town came together for the hatred of Shearer. The twat.

As a side story, I remember seeing a young lad in 2006 with a "Baines 3" Sunderland shirt on. I think he'd agreed a move to Sunderland before Everton came in and jumped the gun a bit. I like Baines and everything, but who would have seem him as such a marquee signing, they'd get his name on their shirt? Especially back then?

Ronaldinho to man united. that one was gutting

I remember a newpaper running an article about the prospect of him coming up against seaman again in a future manc derby. I think it failing was blamed on kenyon. then he went to barca and was the best player in the world for a few years. :(

Not a hugely gutwrenching one ( but it felt so at hte time) lee bowyer to lfc... We agreed a fee he had a medical then spent what felt like two weeks negotiating his contract before rick parry fucked him off...

Leeds got the last laugh on us by selling harry kewall to us.

To be fair, at the time Bowyer was one of the best English midfielders. He was outstanding when we were in the Champions League, but his career derailed when we sold him. Is Kewell hated by Liverpool fans, we fucking despise him for the club he joined when he left you.

Now, if only this transfer happened

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ampard-bid.html

Instead, we bought Seth Johnson.

Asprilla to Darlington, was another than was to take the world by storm. Asprilla even got paraded at Darlo It all went a bit wrong after that

We signed Emad Meteb, had photos taken, the works, and then fucked off back to Egypt to play vs Zalamek in the African Champions League, whilst awaiting a work permit. We were non too plussed and binned the whole deal.

• Awards Moderator

Darren Ambrose to Birmingham. I remember him leaving us in the summer of 2012 but upon his return to Selhurst Park, he scored a 93-yard screamer in to his own net. Sacked immediately, he returned to Palace to take us to the Premier League with 145 goals for the season.

I'll be quoting that, come May.

Archived