Batman & Robin appreciation/hate thread

Mr. Seven

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best bit is the opening scene. All of it. Batman does a dropkick after sliding down a dinosaur, gets attacked by ridiculously dressed henchmen on ice skates ("the hockey team from hell"), before fighting back (with the aid of RETRACTABLE ICE SKATES that obviously Alfred had built into their shoes, y'know, just in case), playing a bit of ice hockey with a massive diamond and eventually getting fired out of a giant rocket. Robin saves the day by clinging onto the rocket that is being fired into space, climbing up it (!), freeing Batman and then the pair of them surf back down to earth from 20-odd thousand feet on some doors. The scene peaks when Robin is frozen, and Batman picks him up and walks off with him under his arm like Basil Fawlty used to do with Manuel. All this happens in the first 15 minutes. It's fucking mental.

• Paid Members

This film put me off Alicia Silverstone, not because of her acting or inability to act, but because on a great number of occasions throughout the film there is clear and abundant proof that she has a moustache.

It's chronic and highly repulsive.

The film as a whole is an acid trip variant of the TV show, an exceptionally bad trip that would probably lead to you jumping out of a twenty story flat window to your death.

What did Arnie get paid for that magnamanous performance again? I know it was criminally high.

he was also smart enough to demand top billing over Clooney.

Wasn't there a rumour that Schumacher wanted Hulk Hogan to play Mr Freeze? I seem to recall that the three runner for the part were Schwarzenegger, Anthony Hopkins then Hogan. Could be utter bullshit like

• Paid Members
he was also smart enough to demand top billing over Clooney.

Wasn't there a rumour that Schumacher wanted Hulk Hogan to play Mr Freeze? I seem to recall that the three runner for the part were Schwarzenegger, Anthony Hopkins then Hogan. Could be utter bullshit like

Every story Hogan has ever told has him being the next guy they'd call. See also the George Forman Grill and Metallica needing a Bass Player

Batman and Robin is absolutely fucking tremendous and I will defend it till the day I die.

It's like WCW circa 2000 when Vampiro fought Sting on a graveyard and smashed him in the face with a tombstone. Absolutely fucking stupid, but at the same time, highly enjoyable. If you're the sort of person who wears shirts with Big Lebowski references on them and writes a blog reviewing films in quarter stars, then clearly this film is not for you. People who take films seriously will never like this, because it's a big, fat, bloated, camp mess. It's so ludicrous and over-the-top that it can't help to bring a smile to your face, I mean for fuck's sake, BionicRedneck summed the film up perfectly.

The best bit is the opening scene. All of it. Batman does a dropkick after sliding down a dinosaur, gets attacked by ridiculously dressed henchmen on ice skates ("the hockey team from hell"), before fighting back (with the aid of RETRACTABLE ICE SKATES that obviously Alfred had built into their shoes, y'know, just in case), playing a bit of ice hockey with a massive diamond and eventually getting fired out of a giant rocket. Robin saves the day by clinging onto the rocket that is being fired into space, climbing up it (!), freeing Batman and then the pair of them surf back down to earth from 20-odd thousand feet on some doors. The scene peaks when Robin is frozen, and Batman picks him up and walks off with him under his arm like Basil Fawlty used to do with Manuel. All this happens in the first 15 minutes. It's fucking mental.

It's better than The Dark Knight because it doesn't take itself so seriously and blows the absolutely fucking miserable Batman Begins out of the water. Arnie is a one-liner machine and makes the film by himself. It is essentially a film for children and people when they're pissed, not for anyone who has ever used the words "pacing", "dialogue" or "screenplay" when criticising a film. If Hogan had been in it, you'd all fucking love it.

And Speed 2 was class as well, while we're at it.

• Paid Members

To be honest, all the ludicrousies that people moan about seem pretty in-line with the stuff that made the sixties series so great.

Alphabet soup Bat-flask (with Bat-funnel) anyone?

When did they decide to review this? Because I tweeted Paul Scheer suggesting it while it was on last week. Listened to this ep this morning. About time they reviewed it, but it was worth it, great listen more so that Jason the co-host didn't talk much in it.

In this week's ep, I liked the impression of the foreign guy talking about the Wolverine/Sabertooth scene.

Archived