Movies from the mid-to-late 90s

IANdrewDiceClay

I'm bit of a fan of Matthew Lillard so I would have to put in The Curve/Dead Man's Curve. Which is a great little dark Comedy from 98 about a plot to kill a room mate so 2 students can pass their course. It's up on Lovefilm at the minute.

SLC Punk a film about 2 hardcore punks living in Salt Lake city with all the Mormons in the early 80s. A good little character piece full of humour as well as drama.

Hackers is a film I do really enjoy, mostly because of how ridiculous the whole thing is, it's aged so poorly that it's very much a time capsule about the beginning of the internet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory - Steven Seagal's finest hour as an actor and a human being. Trains, terrorists, a jailbait Katherine Heigel and a brilliant Eric Boghossian make this one of my all-time favourite action flicks. Okay, it is a bit naff, but it's a fun flick nonetheless. Plus movies that are set on trains are automatically awesome (see Silver Streak) and cannot be bad. Not even some of the worst CGI ever seen and Everitt McGill jobbing to Seagal can stop me from enjoying this gem of a film.

The Ghost & The Darkness - Based on a true story of two lions who eat a shedload of people working on constucting a railway bridge somewhere in Uganda. Val Kilmer is the man in charge of ensuring that the bridge is built accordingly, but the lions cause more hassle than he originally anticipated so has to call in big game hunter Michael Douglas to rid the area of those pesky lions. A great little movie that doesn't really get remembered that well, but thoroughly enjoyable fair.

Virtuosity - Denzel Washington stars as a cop after virtual reality being/killer/all round psychopath Russell Crowe in a deadly game of cat and mouse. Or even cop and baddie. It's your good cop after dangerous criminal movie meets Lawnmower Man. Except it's not shit like Lawnmower Man.

Multiplicity - Because any film with four Michael Keatons is a winner in my book.

• Paid Members

Cruel Intentions

Soundtrack of the times which is always great.

Borderline Incest with Buffy.

Virgins

Interracial

Gays

Death

Drug Addiction

Very 90's in my mind. Great movie.

• Paid Members

Would be interesting to know if people here have seen All the Little Animals. I can't help but like it.

Hard to believe the main character would one day be Batman, its a modern day Flight of the Doves about a young teen named Bobby fleeing his evil stepfather and bumping into John Hurt's character who spends his time giving roadkill a fitting burial.

I won't list the obvious but ones that deserve a mention that may have been missed:

Falling Down

========

By far Michael Douglas best movie playing a man, pushed over the edge, when all he wants is to be there for his daughters birthday. Douglas is very convincing and you can't help but feel for him throughout.

Fatal Instinct

========

Stupid as hell parody of movies such as Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction (as if the title doesn't give it away). Is a bit Naked Gun, a bit Scary Movie and has some cracking one liners.

These are the ones that spring to mind.

Oh and and Dunstan is an orangutan, not a chimp!

• Paid Members

The Phantom

the-phantom-blu-ray-large.jpg

Following from the earlier Rocketeer, Dick Tracy & The Shadow movies, this is another one in a weird run of fun 30s/40s set films based on old (or retro in The Rocketeer's case) comic characters made in the 90s, none of the films were particularly successful and even I don't know why they were making movies of these obscure characters when so many more famous ones weren't made til years later. Maybe to cash in on the popularity of the ongoing Batman series. I know Spider-Man was in developmental hell for absolutely years before it all managed to come together. In any case, the Phantom is a fun adventure film, that is pretty old fashioned and swashbuckling in tone, it's very Indiana Jones but with way more Billy Zane in purple lycra and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Fun fact: Bruce Campbell nearly played the title role, him and Billy Zane were the final 2

• Moderators
I won't list the obvious but ones that deserve a mention that may have been missed:

Falling Down

========

By far Michael Douglas best movie playing a man, pushed over the edge, when all he wants is to be there for his daughters birthday. Douglas is very convincing and you can't help but feel for him throughout.

I don't dislike this film but there's no way in hell that it's Michael Douglas's best film..

Speaking of whom The Game is great fun, although it would be ten times better if it just ended when he hits the crash mat.

• Paid Members

I think Falling Down is quite crap, to be honest. It's never Douglas's best film. I love Michael Douglas, though, he's been in an amazing amount of quality films. From this period, The Game definitely qualifies, it's top class. But The Ghost And The Darkness also qualifies, a really awesome little film about hunting that also has a rare convincing Val Kilmer performance. I would definitely recommend it. Wonder Boys is also supposed to be superb.

• Paid Members
Under Siege 2: Dark Territory - Steven Seagal's finest hour as an actor and a human being. Trains, terrorists, a jailbait Katherine Heigel and a brilliant Eric Boghossian make this one of my all-time favourite action flicks. Okay, it is a bit naff, but it's a fun flick nonetheless. Plus movies that are set on trains are automatically awesome (see Silver Streak) and cannot be bad. Not even some of the worst CGI ever seen and Everitt McGill jobbing to Seagal can stop me from enjoying this gem of a film.

The Ghost & The Darkness - Based on a true story of two lions who eat a shedload of people working on constucting a railway bridge somewhere in Uganda. Val Kilmer is the man in charge of ensuring that the bridge is built accordingly, but the lions cause more hassle than he originally anticipated so has to call in big game hunter Michael Douglas to rid the area of those pesky lions. A great little movie that doesn't really get remembered that well, but thoroughly enjoyable fair.

Virtuosity - Denzel Washington stars as a cop after virtual reality being/killer/all round psychopath Russell Crowe in a deadly game of cat and mouse. Or even cop and baddie. It's your good cop after dangerous criminal movie meets Lawnmower Man. Except it's not shit like Lawnmower Man.

Multiplicity - Because any film with four Michael Keatons is a winner in my book.

some decent shouts there, Multiplicity is quality...and Seagal was on fire at that time for me, i can watch any of his movies from the period over and over, it is however not his finest hour, this is...

out-for-justice-poster.jpg

classic, and features one of the greatest villain's in movie history in Wiliam Forysthe's, Richie Madano.

"Anyone seen Richie?"

• Paid Members

I'm delighted to see some Seagal love in this thread, i'm a huge fan. Out for Justice had a rare emotional Seagal scene when he was telling his wife about his father aswell. Like you said the villain was awesome.

However, this was his finest hour

l_105690_367a7e23.jpg

• Paid Members

I thought "Lawnmower Man" was decent at the time. Horribly dated now though. Still reasonable though.

"Hand That Rocks The Cradle" was a decent film too. Woman playing the psycho nanny was very convincing, tormenting poor Ernie Hudson.

Cruel Intentions

Soundtrack of the times which is always great.

Borderline Incest with Buffy.

Virgins

Interracial

Gays

Death

Drug Addiction

Very 90's in my mind. Great movie.

Great film, but the lesbian scene isn't as sexy as you'd remember.

Mighty Ducks 1,2,3 for me. Number two is what got me into hockey as I saw it first. Use to watch it back to back on a Saturday before I went to training and before games. I still watched it up until i stopped playing

Archived