Movies from the mid-to-late 90s

IANdrewDiceClay

Waterworld is really under-rated, I usually watch it when it's on. It's a really decent Mad Max clone. I've never seen it, but I'd watch Postman if they were ever to show it.

I've pushed it before, but The Relic (1997) is a great monster movie and a rare Tom Sizemore starring role. Good special effects that bely its B-movie budget. I'm a sucker for the Die-Hard-in-a subgenre, and this is Die-Hard-in-a-Museum... with Monsters!

On that tip, Deep Rising (1998) is Die-Hard-On-A-Cruise liner... with Monsters! And Treat Williams! Stephen Somers directed this and the Excellent The Mummy, and then produced shit thereafter.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I watched one of my favourite movies from the 90s again recently, Wishmaster -the 1997 wes craven produced horror movie about an evil genie, I loved it at the time and it's still great.

I was surprised to note that it had aged a lot, it seems so "90s" now, it's funny how when something is current you don't really think about it being "of the time" but looking back on it it seems dated and so does everything else from the period.

I think Wishmaster looks like more of an 80s horror than a 90s one. If it was made 10 years earlier it might have had a bit more success. Honestly, first time I watched it I assumed it was from the 80s and was shocked to find that it was as late as 1997. Still a fun flick though, even if the sequels are garbage. A good example of a forgotten 90s horror would be something like Urban Legend, which had a fantastic premise but tried way too hard to be like Scream, which pretty much ruined the horror genre for a couple of years after its release.

The amount of love Bio-Dome is getting almost physically pains me. I mean I know we all have guilty pleasures but I can't think of a single redeeming quality of that film.

Bound - Originally marketed as a steamy, full-on lesbo romp this taut mob thriller from the Wachowski brothers is much more than that. Gina Gershon stars alongside Jennifer Tilly as a pair of lovers trying to rip off Tilly's mob partner (Joe Pantaliano).

I love Bound, admittedly i first watched it because i was told that Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon "Lezzed it up big style" but like you say it is so much more than that. Joey Pantaliano is superb as Tilly's psychotic mobster boyfriend and the way he becomes more and more unhinged as the film reaches it's climax is just fantastic to watch. It's easily the best film The Wachowski Brothers have ever made(although considering that the rest of their CV is basically The Matrix and Speed Racer it's not that hard to see why)

• Paid Members
The amount of love Bio-Dome is getting almost physically pains me. I mean I know we all have guilty pleasures but I can't think of a single redeeming quality of that film.

I hate Pauly Shore so much it make me angry just thinking about it...

I saw Pauly Shore doing live standup once in the states, I don't know if I was influenced by the fact that I was having so much fun and was in a great mood anyway but it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, I was bent over with tears in my eyes for the whole show it was so funny.

Plus California/Encino man is awesome.

• Paid Members
Plus California/Encino man is awesome.

If this thread was for movies from the early 90s, this would have been my first nomination. It's that whole Bill 'n' Ted vibe, where it's utterly stoopid, but just so enjoyable.

California Man was responsible for my habit of abusing people dressed as animals at theme parks.

Kingpin 1996- The script is your usual Farrelly brothers stuff but a couple of fantastic performances makes it a must see for me. Bill Murray is fantastic as the sleazy Big Ern and Woodey Harrelson is nearly as good as the washed up loser Roy Munson.

Strange Days, possibly the most underrated film of all time let alone the 90's for me, but oo be fair i do have a soft spot for anything that's about a dystopian, cyberpunk like future.

Oh what i would do for a SQUID recording/playing device.

Archived