Movies from the mid-to-late 90s

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

"Ratcatcher". An utterly depressing film set in 1973's Glasgow. First twenty minutes always bring a tear to my eye when one of the wee guys drown in the Forth & Clyde Canal.

I liked "Mission to Mars" even if everybody else didn't.

I'm a huge Kevin Spacey fan and no I won't say Usual Suspects but Swimming with Sharks. I'm guessing most here would have seen but if not please do. Especially if you hate your boss.

Good shout!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

National Lampoons Senior Trip is one that sticks out for me. It's a bad film all over, but the amount of quotable shit that came from it, that was recycled for years between my friends will live on forever. I love this film.

000581_35.jpg

"Ratcatcher". An utterly depressing film set in 1973's Glasgow. First twenty minutes always bring a tear to my eye when one of the wee guys drown in the Forth & Clyde Canal.

I liked "Mission to Mars" even if everybody else didn't.

I'm a huge Kevin Spacey fan and no I won't say Usual Suspects but Swimming with Sharks. I'm guessing most here would have seen but if not please do. Especially if you hate your boss.

Good shout!

Ratcatcher is great, it was written and directed by Lynne Ramsay of We Need To Talk About Kevin fame. Has anybody seen Small Faces? It's about Glasgow gang culture in the sixties, akin to Neds. Small Faces is better though.

• Moderators

Just read the synopsis. Fucking hell. I'm never watching that. I'd be jumping off the Aqueduct if I did.

• Paid Members

I suspect it hasn't aged well but I love Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight back in the day. Really want to get that bad boy on Blu Ray. Whats not to love, Billy Zane hamming it up, a cracking undercard of actors, 1-800 Suicide by Tha Gravediggaz and the Crypt Keeper back in action.

• Paid Members

Some possibly lesser known ones I'd recommend if you can track them down.

Indictment:The McMartin Trial - Excellent TV Movie surrounding one of the most expensive and long running trails in US legal history. James Woods stars as the attorney defending a family who run a nursing home on multiple cases of child abuse.

American Me - Can be lazily described as a Latino 'Goodfellas'. Edward James Olmos stars in a gangster film that spans 2 generations & follows him in & out of prison. William Forsythe co-stars & is brilliant. A particularly memorable scene involves a chap getting buggered with a machete.

Bound - Originally marketed as a steamy, full-on lesbo romp this taut mob thriller from the Wachowski brothers is much more than that. Gina Gershon stars alongside Jennifer Tilly as a pair of lovers trying to rip off Tilly's mob partner (Joe Pantaliano).

Set It Off - A group of African American women resort to robbing banks to makes ends meet. I've not seen this in ages but remember it being far better than it's well trodden storyline suggested.

I mentioned this before in the 'Forgotten gems' thread (I think?)

Surviving The Game - Essentially 'Hard Target' but with Ice T instead of JCVD & Rutger Hauer as the baddie. A far better supporting cast than Hard Target consisting of the cream of 90's video 'stars' (Charles S Dutton, Gary Busey, F.Murray Abraham & John C McGinley) but lacks Wilford Brimley on horseback kicking ass with a bow & arrow. Available on US Netflix

• Paid Members
Indictment:The McMartin Trial - Excellent TV Movie surrounding one of the most expensive and long running trails in US legal history. James Woods stars as the attorney defending a family who run a nursing home on multiple cases of child abuse.

I've been trying to find this for weeks with no luck. I might actually have to buy it, for fuck's sake.

• Paid Members
National Lampoons Senior Trip is one that sticks out for me. It's a bad film all over, but the amount of quotable shit that came from it, that was recycled for years between my friends will live on forever. I love this film.

000581_35.jpg

fuck yeh! mine and Silky Kisser's group of friends liked the same stuff as lot of people, but we also had a couple of movies id say were exclusively ours, and Senior Trip is one of them. As far as im aware it's never even been released in this country, it's a small film but it's f'n great (featuring a young Jeremy Renner). It has that nostalgic quality for me which glosses over the fact that it's probably cack to everyone else, but as Silky said, so quotable.

The other rubbish film that was a favorite amongst our group was...

215px-BioDomeposter.jpg

Universally seen as turd, Kylie Minogue says it's the worst thing she's ever been involved with, it killed Stephen Baldwin's career and it made everyone hate Paulie Shore even more. Regardless, i fucking love it. Must have seen it from beginning till end at least 20 times, classic.

• Paid Members

I made the mistake of watching Surviving the Game directly after Hard Target on Netflix a couple months back. Yeah that one probably should have remained a fond memory. It has its moments but its not anywhere near the league of Hard Target. Heck its probably not even in the top 10 under dog being hunted action films let alone top 10 greatest action films like Hard Target. Busey is tremendous in it though. The Dinner table scene is a truely great bit of Busey.

Two Hands is tremendous if anyone hasn't seen it. Its a Austrailian crime thriller with some lovely black comedy from 99. It stars Heath Ledger before making it big in the US and also has the great Bryan Brown of FX fame playing top heel and hes great at it.

EDIT - VIVA LAS BI-O-DOME! Curse it, now theres a film that inspite its self I have warm and fuzzy feelings for. Might have to give it a drunken watch again soon along with a bunch of others in this thread.

One that instantly sticks out to me is Mulholland Falls. It was a VHS favourite in my house and my Dad absolutely loves it, but I've not seen it since I was about 10 and don't remember anything about it. I've been meaning to watch it again for some time now but never get around to it.

• Paid Members

I watched one of my favourite movies from the 90s again recently, Wishmaster -the 1997 wes craven produced horror movie about an evil genie, I loved it at the time and it's still great.

I was surprised to note that it had aged a lot, it seems so "90s" now, it's funny how when something is current you don't really think about it being "of the time" but looking back on it it seems dated and so does everything else from the period.

215px-BioDomeposter.jpg

Universally seen as turd, Kylie Minogue says it's the worst thing she's ever been involved with, it killed Stephen Baldwin's career and it made everyone hate Paulie Shore even more. Regardless, i fucking love it. Must have seen it from beginning till end at least 20 times, classic.

I was just coming in here to pimp that myself. I was a mid-teen when this came out, and along with my love Beavis & Butt-Head, this film just clicked for the same reasons. It was stupid and funny. I immediately wanted little blonde dreads, but never plucked up the courage to go through with it.

Beavis & Butt-Head Do America was also a very funny film and deserves a mention in here.

• Paid Members
Agreed on Shadow Warriors: Assault on Devil's Island aswell, love that and the sequel got it from a video shop when I was a kid. Fun action

Both of these were on 5USA about a year ago, they are sat on my hard drive, still haven't gotten around to watching them yet but will do now.

Shannon Tweed got me through a few Friday nights when they played her sex therepist films on C5 in the early days.

Even though virtually no one saw it..( because it came out the same week as titanic) and despite the fact the guy playing the villain wasn't too convincing, i always had/have a soft spot for the postman starring kevin costner. Its a shame it bombed in the cinema.

Mind im pretty sure im the only one to enjoy it .

I wasn't keen on the Postman, but on the subject of Costner, I don't get all the hate for Waterworld. I quite enjoyed it, and it had multiple repeats in the Scarn household. Yea, so what it had a massively overblown budget, but so what? The VHS of it didn't cost me any more then the Police Academy films.

Archived