Movies from the mid-to-late 90s

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Knocking a few ideas about in chat and Seven suggested this would make a good thread. And everyone likes a good film thread, right? Talking about those forgotten gems that you are into.

Here's mine - Assault on Devils Island. Look it up. Hulk Hogan, Apollo Creed, Shannon Tweed and the bloke from Karate Kid. All star casts. Steroids, soft core born and guns.

EDIT: Just realised daft cunt Dr. No has already done this thread. Fuck him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bingo. I remember loving Bingo as a kid and can still whistle the theme song despite having not seen it since before I reached double digits. Not only was it a quality film, but it had that bloke who seemed to be in every film from the 80s/90s - Kurt Fuller

6182-26511.gif

Also, Here Comes Garfield. I still shed manly tears when Odie is about to be put down. I've never been totally huge on Garfield, but I'd rank this as one of my favourite animations of all time. The soundtrack is terrific.

Edit: Here Comes Garfield was from 1982, bloody hell. I'm still leaving it in here though because I watched it endless times growing up as a kid in the 90s, and people need to know about it.

• Paid Members

215px-Bicentennial_man_film_poster.jpg

Always enjoyed this, must have seen it nearly 20 times loved it as a kid. Williams was always my favourite actor when I was little with the likes of Flubber and Jack etc

Agreed on Shadow Warriors: Assault on Devil's Island aswell, love that and the sequel got it from a video shop when I was a kid. Fun action

• Paid Members

I'll tell you what's good from that period that deserves more love - Air Force One. Cracking action film. Harrison Ford v Gary Oldman? Ta very much.

I'll tell you what's shit from that period that deserves less love - Cube. Boring, appallingly acted, stupid ending. Crap.

Alrighty, here goes....

Empire Records, a bunch of record store workers band together to stop "The Man" from absorbing Empire Records and turning it into a large retail music chain. Amazing Soundtrack, pretty similar to Detroit Rock City actually. I think its one of those films that if you're a certain age you love it, if you aint that age its probably not for you.

Before Sunrise, prob not for everyone, two strangers meet on a train in Europe, they talk for 80 mins and not much happens but I think its magical...

Viewed out of context it probably seems like nothing but its an incredible scene, those looks between them are amazing.

Dazed and Confused, one of my all time top 5 favourite films, there just an amazing energy in this, I love it. Manages to be nostalgic and personal. The film that got me into rock music as well.

The Indian Runner, well I only just watched it the other day so whether its forgotten or not remains to be seen but powerful stuff.

That Thing You Do! Tom Hanks, Steve Zhan, what more do you want? A film about a One Hit Wonder band called The Wonders and the success they achieve and the eventually falling apart that happens...

Power Pop at its finest.

A Midnight Clear, completely forgotten, only just out on DVD not sure anyones seen it. I remember it was on TV one night and it haunted me for a long time. A really powerful antiwar film.

Also Hercules as well, maybe not forgotten but I reckon it should easily be up there with other Disney Classics, but its never talked about.

I'd write up more but im going to bed cause Raw is boring me!

• Paid Members
Empire Records, Before Sunrise, Dazed and Confused, The Indian Runner.

Don't just list stuff, give reasons, it's like Butch said the other day - list threads are shit. Let's not make this another one.

Even though virtually no one saw it..( because it came out the same week as titanic) and despite the fact the guy playing the villain wasn't too convincing, i always had/have a soft spot for the postman starring kevin costner. Its a shame it bombed in the cinema.

Mind im pretty sure im the only one to enjoy it .

Air Bud was a stormer, as were the first few sequels. I used to watch the first one everyday for a good few weeks, until my Mam stopped me watching it after I threw a basketball at my cousin's golden retriever, thinking it would "do an Air Bud".

I was amazed to find out they're still making sequels, there must be about 8 of them now.

• Paid Members
I'll tell you what's good from that period that deserves more love - Air Force One. Cracking action film. Harrison Ford v Gary Oldman? Ta very much.

You know what's even better? The Fugitive. Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee motherfucking Jones, and no dodgy bluescreen airplane spots.

I put off watching The Fugitive for ages, as for some reason I didn't think it would be any good. I was wrong though.

The sequel is a pile of arse though. I've watched it in it's entirity at least three times and still have no memory of anything that happens in it.

Se7en gets my vote as a great mid-90s film. Gory deaths, Kevin Spacey, and Brad Pitt, so that the women don't mind you watching it.

Dunston Checks In starring George Costanza from Seinfeld as a luxury hotel manager/single father who's two kids get up to much mischief when they discover a chimp that's an expert cat burglar is staying in their hotel with his evil master who's played by Ruper Everett.One of my favourite ever films as a kid,even today when I stay in hotels I secretly hope that I'll discover a chimp rifling through my bags in my room.

Billy Madison:As much as I can't stand Adam Sandler in general,I absolutely loved this film as a kid.Chris Farley's cameo as the bus driver was great fun too.Plus Larry Hankin's in it.

• Paid Members

Gattaca is one of my favourites with a wonderful score and original idea. Jude Law's best work for me.

I'm a huge Kevin Spacey fan and no I won't say Usual Suspects but Swimming with Sharks. I'm guessing most here would have seen but if not please do. Especially if you hate your boss.

Archived