Impact Wrestling August 2 discussion, spoilers, etc.

pgi86

A bit unfair on Storm for people to be saying he's "dead" and failing as a face. Jeff Hardy has a pretty hardcore following and their match was always going to get 50/50 reactions. Recently the seed has been planted that he's behind the Aces and 8's and he went up against Kurt Angle this week who, as a face is pretty un-booable. He was getting good reactions from the fans during his promo's and think he's only been getting mixed reactions when facing more established bigger names in TNA. He's not the guy to spearhead the company as a face, I WILL say that much, and I don't think he should main event BFG. Personally I feel the way to go is definitely to have Roode vs Storm at BFG, but the match really doesn't need to be for the title in my opinion and people will still give a shit. If anything I think the feud has gone past the point of needing to be for the title but then again maybe that's just me.

Solid Impact this week as well. Nothing to complain about what so ever and everything ticked along nicely.

What a testament to how over Bully Ray is as a heel that a small portion of fans we're actually chanting "Let's go Robbie" during his match with Robbie E!!

Hardcore Justice on paper looks like it could be a sneakily good PPV. The ladder match and main event should all be good and the Tables, Falls count anywhere, X-division and tag match should be solid at worst.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby Roode has Aces and 8s on the payroll, and trying to put the heat onto Storm.

Having all the guys at ringside for the match I thought it would have been the perfect opportunity for Aces and 8s to abduct Brooke Hogan or at least intimidate the fuck out of her backstage, given that all the protection would have been ringside (all part or Roodes plan).

That's what I would have done anyway.

I don't watch TNA very much but I did watch this week's Impact, and as is constantly pointed out, it's incredibly clear that the commentary team is one of, if not THE biggest, problem with the television. If Raw had ended as Impact did with the in-ring brawl, the commentators would be making a point of mentioning it instead of just staying silent. Tenay and Taz NEVER sound excited about anything.

Case in point: during the Angle/Storm match, Storm hits Angle with the Angle Slam. I could hear JR's voice in my head saying "Now wait a minute! Storm... He just hit Angle with his own Angle Slam BAH GAWD". Even Michael Cole would make a point of throwing out an 'Oh my God' or at least act a bit surprised. Instead, we get Taz going 'Well, Storm used the, er, Angle Slam on Kurt there' and THAT'S IT. I think Tenay may have come out with some dull-as-dishwater comment but none of it felt like it mattered. It's clear to me that TNA's product has improved in leaps and bounds, and the Bound for Glory Series, whilst arguably a little confusing, is nonetheless a solid concept that engages the viewer. But if the broadcast team doesn't seem to give a fuck, why should I?

Except she legged it from the building after getting the recorded letter with the playing cards in it?....

I'd imagine he'd have changed that bit to make his idea work. I think the idea is alright. They'll probably do it later down the line as they're establishing the uncertainty of Storm's role at the moment.

I agree with the point about the commentators being dead for Storm's Angle Slam.

The ending felt flat but the idea was good. Tazz and Tenay needed to comment on it.

I liked how they introduced Wes Brisco (even more so if he indeed is part of Aces and Eights).

Devon needs to start defending the TV title on Impact again.

Joseph Park remains an highlight of the show.

I don't watch TNA very much but I did watch this week's Impact, and as is constantly pointed out, it's incredibly clear that the commentary team is one of, if not THE biggest, problem with the television. If Raw had ended as Impact did with the in-ring brawl, the commentators would be making a point of mentioning it instead of just staying silent. Tenay and Taz NEVER sound excited about anything.

Case in point: during the Angle/Storm match, Storm hits Angle with the Angle Slam. I could hear JR's voice in my head saying "Now wait a minute! Storm... He just hit Angle with his own Angle Slam BAH GAWD". Even Michael Cole would make a point of throwing out an 'Oh my God' or at least act a bit surprised. Instead, we get Taz going 'Well, Storm used the, er, Angle Slam on Kurt there' and THAT'S IT. I think Tenay may have come out with some dull-as-dishwater comment but none of it felt like it mattered. It's clear to me that TNA's product has improved in leaps and bounds, and the Bound for Glory Series, whilst arguably a little confusing, is nonetheless a solid concept that engages the viewer. But if the broadcast team doesn't seem to give a fuck, why should I?

You're not wrong. They really haven't developed as the product has. Tenay is a decent enough play-by-play, but Tazz is just terrible. I think a long time ago, on Smackdown, I liked him, but now at his best he's white noise, and at his worst he ruins everything.

But who else is there? You could give Al Snow a try I suppose. Bully Ray will make a great colour when he decides to call it a day, but that's not this year.

• Paid Members

I think I've just realised what they are doing with Wes Brisco. I clicked on when they started advertising Luke Gallows for house shows. I reckon they are going to have them all show up unmasked every week (Wes last week, Luke this week, whoever the next etc), and have the likes of Kurt Angle or Sting shake their hand and say "fan of your work, nice to see you getting a chance" etc. And then they'll all come together and unveil who they are. Because it'll look odd as fuck if they all unmask and they are just former WWE midcarders. I think the plan is to introduce them as regular characters, who seemingly pose no threat to anyone and then its revealed Jarrett is the leader of them.

Probably explains why Joey Ryan is still knocking about as well.

You're not wrong. They really haven't developed as the product has. Tenay is a decent enough play-by-play, but Tazz is just terrible. I think a long time ago, on Smackdown, I liked him, but now at his best he's white noise, and at his worst he ruins everything.

But who else is there? You could give Al Snow a try I suppose. Bully Ray will make a great colour when he decides to call it a day, but that's not this year.

I was thinking about this on Sunday, I never really minded Mike Tenay when he was with Don West in fact they were sometimes too excited, listen commentary during the asylum years especially the early ultimate X matches. At least they made things seem important. Now Tenay with Taz barely raises his voice. They are both at fault and are dragging down the product as said. Part of the problem has to be as well that Tenay just is not that good, look at WCW he never really went past being the third guy on commentary and was only on a Nitro or PPV when they were desperate I believe.

Personally I prefer Jeremy Borash as a commentator and put him alongside somebody else, theres plenty of old vets from the 90-s early 2000 that could do the gig .

I think I've just realised what they are doing with Wes Brisco. I clicked on when they started advertising Luke Gallows for house shows. I reckon they are going to have them all show up unmasked every week (Wes last week, Luke this week, whoever the next etc), and have the likes of Kurt Angle or Sting shake their hand and say "fan of your work, nice to see you getting a chance" etc. And then they'll all come together and unveil who they are. Because it'll look odd as fuck if they all unmask and they are just former WWE midcarders. I think the plan is to introduce them as regular characters, who seemingly pose no threat to anyone and then its revealed Jarrett is the leader of them.

Probably explains why Joey Ryan is still knocking about as well.

I like that idea.

Some how it reminded me of in 2003 when Sean O'Haire kept appearing backstage.

I really enjoyed the episode. Chavo looked as good as ever. I hope they continue to use Gunner/Kash and Chavo/Hernandez as teams I love the two combinations. I'm still liking the Aces and Eights angle. The angle is working with the wrestlers but Taz/Tenay are making it shit on the announce table. The end of IMPACT was really flat with the 4 brawling.

Hoping Zema Ion fucks off soon. I really don't want to see him Vs little Jesse. Kenny King is great. As much as I like Austin Aries he has took a backseat since winning the title. I hope they feature him more and give him something more interesting on the show.

Good show though. Looking forward to the next episode.

I'd like to see an announce team of Tenay, JB and Douglas Williams. Williams' almost weekly appearances on commentary during 2010 were fantastic and he'd be a good addition not only from an international perspective but he'd be able to fill in the viewers on the technicalities of a move rather than Taz's almost weekly blurbs about how he thinks a move wasn't executed right and how he would do a suplex instead. In that respect I think it's a shame that TNA didn't work out a deal with Desmond Wolfe during his two week period of being an 'Xplosion commissioner' and get him on commentary as that is what he has gone and done with ROH anyway.

• Paid Members
I'd like to see an announce team of Tenay, JB and Douglas Williams. Williams' almost weekly appearances on commentary during 2010 were fantastic and he'd be a good addition not only from an international perspective but he'd be able to fill in the viewers on the technicalities of a move rather than Taz's almost weekly blurbs about how he thinks a move wasn't executed right and how he would do a suplex instead. In that respect I think it's a shame that TNA didn't work out a deal with Desmond Wolfe during his two week period of being an 'Xplosion commissioner' and get him on commentary as that is what he has gone and done with ROH anyway.

Desmond Wolfe is an absolute bore on commentary. Doug was pretty much the same. Its alright for a novelty on a show for a few minutes, but I couldn't put up with Doug Williams for 2 hours every week. Calling moves and telling stories and adding drama is completely different to calling moves. Taz knows every move in wrestling, but thats not what his job is. TNA needs a new voice for sure. Borash was great on commentary the other week. He's the best they have. Bischoff and Borash were awesome on commentary on Xplosion a few months back. A proper heel/face dynamic.

Sean Wheelock expressed interest in doing commentary for TNA in an interview the other week, he said he could do both Bellator and TNA. I'd have him it a flash. He's usually great, adds excitment and takes things super serious when talking about wrestling. Even as much as saying Devon Dudley was in the audience at a recently Bellator events to make sure the Aces and Eights didn't run in and attack the MMA fighters. Which is hilarious.

Archived