Favorite matches by promotion

Michael_3165

This is a difficult one. I don't watch any TNA, ROH or NOAH, so I can't comment on any of those.

WWF - Probably Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart from Wrestlemania 10 - lovely, smooth match with a great story interlaced. I also enjoyed the Davey Boy Smith vs. Owen Hart match where Smith won the European title. I have half a ton of Davey Boy stuff to watch, as I've just finished putting together a 39 disk career DVD set, so my choices may change after I've taken a look at some of the stuff on that.

NWA / WCW - Midnight Express vs. Rock & Roll Express from Wrestlewar 90 - just a textbook example of a great tag match. Other favourites include the much lauded Midnight Express vs. Southern Boys match from the 1990 Great American Bash....Midnight Express (see a theme developing here?) vs. Flair & Windham from Clash 4....War Games 91 and 92....Benoit vs. Scorpio from Superbrawl 3....Pillman vs. Liger from Superbrawl 2.....probably more I've forgotten about.

ECW - Again, this is a difficult one. I was a massive ECW mark back in the mid 90s, but my wrestling tastes have changed enormously since that time. Off the top of my head, I really enjoyed Chris Benoit vs. Al Snow from Double Tables.

Haven't watched enough TNA/ROH or Japanese wrestling to make a judgment so i'll stick to the big three.

WWE- Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker No Mercy 2002 Hell In The Cell. In the terms of Lesnar's career this was the match that cemented him as a top main eventer in WWE. This match was just brutal...Taker's blade job was insane and the interaction with Heyman was awesome too. I also loved the ending with the countering of the Tombstone in to an F5. As a kid this was my favorite match and it remains it to this day.

WCW- Fatal 4 Way- World Heavyweight Title- Spring Stampede 1999- DDP vs Hogan vs Flair vs Sting with Savage as the referee. Really liked this match as it was the first time DDP won the World Title. It featured the return of Savage and the outcome was pretty hard to judge at the time. The little bit with the two sleeper holds is nice and the crowd reaction when Page won was intense.

ECW- I echo the love for Awesome vs Tanaka at One Night Stand 2005....Just an awesome match.

ROH: Nigel McGuinness vs. Naomichi Marufuji, 2008? I love this match as it was towards the end of an epic title run and he had torn both triceps, but he still went out there and incorporated it into this fantastic match. It was gripping, hard hitting and had phenomenal psychology, something ROH lacks usually. Just an excellent match, can't remember the event but it might've been Glory by Honor or another big show name like that.

Nigel did face Marufuji at Final Battle 2008. But, the match in which his body was totally fucked, was against KENTA at Seventh Year Anniversary if that's the one you're thinking of?

Still one of the best matches I've ever seen live.

ROH: Nigel McGuinness vs. Naomichi Marufuji, 2008? I love this match as it was towards the end of an epic title run and he had torn both triceps, but he still went out there and incorporated it into this fantastic match. It was gripping, hard hitting and had phenomenal psychology, something ROH lacks usually. Just an excellent match, can't remember the event but it might've been Glory by Honor or another big show name like that.

Nigel did face Marufuji at Final Battle 2008. But, the match in which his body was totally fucked, was against KENTA at Seventh Year Anniversary if that's the one you're thinking of?

Shit your right, I remember him using the Go To Sleep now. I had Marufuji on the mind thinking about NOAH match but didn't post it because I got bored or something. Sorry people and sorry KENTA.

WWE - Hulk Hogan Vs Ultimate Warrior WM VI

ECW - Masato Tanaka vs Mike Awesome (pretty much any but their ONS match sticks in my mind)

WCW/NWA - Lord Steven Regal vs British Bulldog Halloween Havoc 93

TNA - Samoa Joe Vs Chris Daniels Vs AJ Styles Unbreakable 2005

ROH - Samoa Joe Vs Jack Evans Vs Ebessan Vs. Delirious (Final Showdown 05)

NOAH - Kenta vs SUWA 18/09/05

CZW - Jonny Storm Vs Jody Fleisch Best of the Best 2

UK - Bryan Danielson & Eddie Edwards Vs KENTA & Ishimori (the sound of KENTAs kick on Edwards jaw will haunt me in the nicest possible way forever)

• Paid Members

Shit your right, I remember him using the Go To Sleep now. I had Marufuji on the mind thinking about NOAH match but didn't post it because I got bored or something. Sorry people and sorry KENTA.

Was McGuinness/Marafuji on the same show as Danielson/KENTA, or am I misremembering that?

They had two matches, one was at Glory By Honor IV which was for Marufuji's GHC Heavyweight Title in September 06 and also featured the Danielson/KENTA ROH Title match.

Second was at Final Battle 08 which also featured the last Danielson/Morishima match.

• Paid Members

I prefer the Marufuji match to be honest ; I spend most of the KENTA match wincing and wishing Nigel hadnt risked his health so badly by wrestling it.

• Paid Members
I echo the love for Awesome vs Tanaka at One Night Stand 2005....Just an awesome match.

I've always thought that match to be the total shits, to be honest.

Butch knows. JBL and chums were rightfully laughing at it, it was akin to the shit you see on the garbage wrestling shows.

Archived