The most pretentious thing you've ever read

Mr. Seven

I don't think there's another director as divisive as Tarantino. People love and hate his films in completely different combinations, it's fascinating. I actually agree to some extent with the post Gladders quoted up there, although it's over-written.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that quoted post about Vertigo. Old films often are shit, particularly in terms of cinematography and acting. I've no time for most of Hitchcock's films at all for that very reason, and I suspect that anyone under seventy who enjoys his films is either an A-Level media bore or is doing a Richie Freebird. Although I think Richie himself only watches horror films from the silent era now. I'd rather kiss Ian Huntley than anyone who likes Rope!

• Paid Members
I agree with that quoted post about Vertigo. Old films often are shit, particularly in terms of cinematography and acting. I've no time for most of Hitchcock's films at all for that very reason, and I suspect that anyone under seventy who enjoys his films is either an A-Level media bore or is doing a Richie Freebird. Although I think Richie himself only watches horror films from the silent era now. I'd rather kiss Ian Huntley than anyone who likes Rope!

Oh Pitcos :(

• Paid Members

...and the whole room stares.

THE AMBASSADORS DINNER:

INT. RESTAURANT

A Frenchmen sits at the end of a long dinning table, to his right is an Englishman and to his left a German, then a Polish and then a big fat Russian. (They are all dressed casual apart from the Texan who appears shortly). The Englishman and the Frenchman have both received plates of food from a waiter and the Polish is in the midst of receiving his.

GERMAN

(WATCHING THE POLISH RECEIVE HIS FOOD) Well I don't know about all of you people, but I am so hungry, I could eat an entire goat, yes?

The waiter serves the Russian an unhealthily large plate of food.

GERMAN

(CONT'D) Holy Barbarossa, look at the size of this man's plate.

The waiter begins to walk off and the German notices he has not been served any food.

GERMAN

(CONT'D) Whoa, excuse me, waiter, my plate... it is empty no?

WAITER

I do apologize sir, however unfortunately the management has informed me that due to the damage sustained last time you were here, regrettably we are no longer permitted to serve you any food.

FRENCHMAN

(LAUGHS AT THE GERMAN) Well monsieur, bon app

• Paid Members

Well Pictos didn't take that well. For the record, the sketch above is a sketch me and a friend wrote about 6 years ago for something we filmed in university. Full of obscure war references and *very obviously* bad stereotypes (referencing the timeframe IIRC). When we were compiling sketch material years later I posted this online. Reading it back, it's shite.

Incredibly, that article plagiarises a phrase I've had in my sig for some time. For shame, Chilli.

Rope is a fantastic movie, as is Vertigo. I agree that many, many movies of that era don't stand up to modern scrutiny, but not those.

Archived