The nostalgia stops here

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

What are the things that aren't of nostalgic value to you? Be it a film, a person or TV show or whatever. Something that goes against the idea that things are better over time. For me, its Timmy Mallet. Hated this cocksucker. When I hear the words "child molester" he always without fail pops into my head. I hated him as a kid, I hate him now. Orville the Duck was rotten as well. Him and his mate were on The Farm a few years back and he just came across as a bigger twat than I imagined him to be. Another one is Jimmy Hill. Fuck him. Men Behaving Badly I never got away with either. Never did raise a smile to be honest. Awful show in my opinion.

Whats yours?

• Moderators

Television and comedy. And the fallacy of it being better in those days.

Yeah, ok while we had Bottom and good stuff like that we also had Russ Abbot, Little and Large, Cannon and Ball, Jim Davidson and others.

Worse of all is that people say telly was better. I don't remember it being better as I had to sit through A Country Practise, Highway, Highway to Heaven, Shortland Street, Take the High Road, London's Burning, The Young Doctors, The Flying Doctors, Knots Landing, Sons and Daughters, The Sullivans, Watching, Little House on the Prarie, The Waltons, Dynasty, Donahue, Wish You Were Here, Holding the Baby, Just a Gigolo, documentaries on BBC2 about African Tribes with men waving their cocks out and women with breasts like old shrivelled balloons, Pebble Mill, Good Morning with Anne and Nick, Open House with Gloria Hunniford, Surprise Surprise, Derek Fucking Jameson, Crosswits, Give us a Clue, Busman's Holiday, Everybody's Equal, Peak Practise, Conjugal Rights, The Living Soap, Babyfather, Bring Me the Head of Light Entertainment, Murder Most Horrid, A Bit of a Do, The Piglet Files, Rumble, Pets Win Prizes, Full Swing, and many many more...

Shame given Onslow has recently passed away, but Keeping Up Appearances, was utter turd of the highest order. I cant see how people get nostalgic over this, especially as the better Swift brother was in DTDD.

As for the others, the remember this nostalgia stuff on fb gets my wick. Like if you were there. Of course I was there, I dont need to keep reminding myself of some of the shit you chose to beatify though. TV-fucking AM, some godawful music and TV and then some random thing out of place because it was from the 1990's. Fuck off!

Last of the Summer Wine has always been uterly fucking dreadful, no mater which cast member popped their clogs between seasons. Alsot Heartbeat partiallly because it lasted longer as a show than the decade it potrayed, but it was the bne of my Sunday evenings as a teenager.

• Paid Members

There's probably loads, but the biggest one for me is Red Dwarf. I've mentioned it a few times on here now, but that show is fucking garbage. You usually get people saying "it was good up until series #" or "it was good up until so-and-so left and there was only one guy writing it" but they're wrong. It was shite from the first episode to the last.

Arnold Rimmer is remembered as a great character, even by myself, but even then it's probably only that way because he's an above-average character in a bollocks show full of bollocks characters. Lister is a scruffer, Cat is flamboyant, the head on the screen wise-cracks HA HA HA. It's just that dragged over 9 (soon to be 10) seasons. When the trailer for season 10 aired, you could have mistaken it for deleted scenes from season 1. It never evolved.

For me, Red Dwarf is one of the best examples of a comedy that isn't any good outside of the time it was aired in. Same as the previously mentioned Men Behaving Badly. It's aged horribly, and with that age it's allowed you to see it was never any good in the first place.

• Paid Members
There's probably loads, but the biggest one for me is Red Dwarf. I've mentioned it a few times on here now, but that show is fucking garbage.

Have you? I'm sure I remember your views being quite the opposite, actually. And your user title is also quite telling.

Something's going on here. And I'm not sure I care what it is.

• Paid Members
There's probably loads, but the biggest one for me is Red Dwarf. I've mentioned it a few times on here now, but that show is fucking garbage.

Have you? I'm sure I remember your views being quite the opposite, actually. And your user title is also quite telling.

Something's going on here. And I'm not sure I care what it is.

Nah, I've mentioned a few times I'm really not that keen on it. I said I liked it as a kid because I have fond memories of being round my Grandparents' watching it after Robot Wars and The Simpsons, but not many fond memories of the actual show itself. My user title is from years ago, so I'm not sure how I came across actually picking it.

• Paid Members
What are the things that aren't of nostalgic value to you? Be it a film, a person or TV show or whatever. Something that goes against the idea that things are better over time. For me, its Timmy Mallet. Hated this cocksucker. When I hear the words "child molester" he always without fail pops into my head. I hated him as a kid, I hate him now. Orville the Duck was rotten as well. Him and his mate were on The Farm a few years back and he just came across as a bigger twat than I imagined him to be. Another one is Jimmy Hill. Fuck him. Men Behaving Badly I never got away with either. Never did raise a smile to be honest. Awful show in my opinion.

Whats yours?

I take it you never enjoyed Mallet's musical attempts such as

then?

I forgot Friends I never liked it at the time, now people hold it up as some classic sitcom, most people I know fucking love it. I never saw the appeal or found it in the slightest funny. I have been told "Chandler is great in the early episodes" but the episodes I saw I find the women annoying and Ross a fucking gimp. Chandler and Joey are not exactly likable either in my opinion either, that would be fine if they were Alan Partridge but you are meant to like them.

Fraiser pissed all over it on every level, comedy writers love Fraiser but whenever you talk to the public about American sitcoms in the past 10-15 years they always bring up the vastly overated Friends.

• Paid Members

Shouldn't of Frazier come off better than it did coming of Cheers?

I liked Friends for what it was. Back in the day on a Friday night it was great. Obviously times have changed and i don't think it's aged well but i can understand why people loved it.

Perfect tv show for the time.

Shouldn't of Frazier come off better than it did coming of Cheers?

It did do very well, bringing in 20 million at its peak. It was almost as popular as Cheers (which I don't mind)

Friends brought in a similar amount of people, maybe a bit more. However, it would seem Friends is more popular with my age group 18-30, so Fraiser is kinda of forgotten by then and have to here about the good old days of fucking Ross and Rachel.

I still think though the show was overated then and is overated now, but you would be in the majority in your opinion of it being good for its time, but I have heard people hold it up now as being the best sitcom ever which I strongly believe it is not even close to.

Archived