WWE's Lost Souls (lowcarders)

RJ Impact

After reading some thoughts in the random thread about this kinda subject I thought it would make some good discussion.

WWE at the moment has alot of guys floating around doing f'all but are they too far gone to be useful or could they be used better given the chance? ofcourse guys have to 'want it' aswell and not just be happy to have a job but sometimes you're fucked no matter what you do or how much you improve like Chris Masters.

A few I think should be used better

Drew McIntyre: Tall, Decent built and solid in the ring that seems to do well with whatever he gets, is having decent matches with Sin Cara aswell, I read an interview a month or so ago with one of The Highlanders he said 'Drew has it all but has to stop being happy to have a job' which is the same for most guys these days.

Hawkins & Reks: I might be the only one but I really like them, a simple old school type team with matching gear, seem to be the only team not in the current tag mix

Trent Barretta: Dunno where he is but was usually a highlight of superstars for a while (with Hawkins), could be used as a Jeff Hardy type flyer on Smackdown which I think is missing at the moment (Cara isnt cutting it and is lucha more than daredevil)

I'll think of more later but what are your thoughts on WWE's Low and Mid Carders who can be used and move up to the next level including Ziggler, Kofi etc and who should just stay where they are or just be shit-canned.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one i would say is alex riley, everytime he comes out he gets an reaction and has potential to be a really good hand maybe more has an heel.

one i would say is alex riley, everytime he comes out he gets an reaction and has potential to be a really good hand maybe more has an heel.

But apparently, because he stood up to Cena, his push was halted : /

I like Riley. I also agree with the Drew, Hawkins, Reks and Barretta love. All good hands who deserve better.

I say push Hawkins and Reks more in the tag team division - they have some great teams about at the moment; PTP, Primo and Epico, The Usos, its just a case of given them the TV time - and now RAW is 3 hours long there is no excuse.

I'm a big fan of Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd aswell

• Paid Members

Chris Masters was a different case to the likes of Drew McIntyre. He was over, he could have been pushed as a star and he was winning matches, but WWE were scared to push him due to him having two Wellness Policy strikes. The last thing they need is to push someone to he moon and then have him strike out a third time. Masters could have been a star in WWE. People actually liked him when he was on Superstars.

As far as the question goes, anyone who they've buried underground for so long, is going to find it difficult to crawl back. There is such a lack of talent at the moment, there's no excuse for so many guys to be on their arse. Its hard for them to work their way out of it, because most of them have no options. They cant say shit to WWE, because they'll be gone. Look at Low Ki. He speaks his mind, but he always seems to have places to work. Everyone from Jeff Jarrett to Johnny Ace to Alex pissing Shane says he's a massive cock to work with, but he always has options. If you dont have options you keep quiet and dont rock the boat. TNA aren't looking to pick up shite like Tyler Reks. And even if they do, TNA isn't paying anyone more than the bare minimal these days unless you are a Kurt Angle or a Jeff Hardy. CM Punk could have been sacked in 2006 and he'd have been picked up by TNA or made a living in ROH and possibly Japan. He always had strong name value because he was an INDY SUPERSTAR which held far more weight in the mid-2000s than it does now. He always had opinions. The WWE roster needs to continue to suck dick and like the taste because once they are gone, they are done. Can anyone see Trent Barretta retiring at age 38 after a long and successful career? ROH is just about finished, Dragon Gate USA and Evolve doesn't pay, Mexico currently hasn't got money to bring in foreigners unless they work for TNA and TNA are giving out contracts to uppercard talent on pay as you work contracts. They have smartened up and starting giving shit wrestlers shit money to cut costs. There is Japan (like MVP and Low Ki have done), but there are only so many spots for that, and are any top Japanese promotion really going to pick up Derrick Bateman? There are a lack of options currently. There aren't many WWE wrestlers who could leave and do anything away from WWE currently. Its no wonder they are happy to be there.

Giving guys a purpose is important aswell, Brodus has done the same routine for 7months and Ryback, Cesaro, Tensia and other new guys could end up the same if they dont do more than squash people.

The 3hours of RAW hopefully could add some new-ish faces but I might end up more of the same guys.

Kofi and R-Truth are to of my least favourite guys to watch just now they just seem to do the same thing they did when they debuted which was 4ish years ago?

its always bugged me when guys are doing well but have a backstage hiccup and get buried or stopped being used to the best of there ability, its like HHH in 1996 he was told to 'eat shit and like the taste of it' but 'he'd get another shot' now it seems guys make a mistake (drew) eat shit for years but dont get another shot or as said they're too fucked to come back from it, fining them or some other punishment should be used cause its counter-productive to waste your own talent.

Yeah, Drew is great. But he married a mental and also got tarred with the "High Maintenance" brush. So he's fucked.

Yes, true. Have you seen the latest episode of NXT Butch? William Regal references McIntyre's "personal struggles" in Seth Rollin's match against him.

its like HHH in 1996 he was told to 'eat shit and like the taste of it' but 'he'd get another shot'

I was thinking about this the other day, the way Triple H seemed to have a massive grudge about being "punished" and "held back" in 1996. I remember him going on about it all the time during his rise as The Game. But the time he was "eating shit" seems like nothing in retrospect. He missed out on King of the Ring for a year, he missed a SummerSlam payday, that was about it (and the actual King of the Ring didn't even wrestle on the SummerSlam PPV that year either). But six months after the curtain call, he was Intercontinental champion and being featured in big storylines with Mr Perfect. It doesn't even compare to the experience of the midcarders today, who are all just starring in their own boring remake of Groundhog Day.

I haven't got that much faith in the landscape changing, on Raw 1000 there was the chance to give them something to do that might interest people. Instead, they just went "stick 'em in a six-man" and no fucker in that match won a fan that day.

Not only do the lower card wrestlers seem happy to just be there... WWE is also happy for them to just be there. And whereas the wrestlers being job-scared makes some sense, WWE's approach doesn't. They know that the wrestlers need characters and storylines. Heath Slater has been far better off getting battered by old boys than he ever was getting his shit in on Superstars. And yet Tyson Kidd, Hawkins, Reks, Yoshi Tatsu, Hunico, Gabriel, Riley and all the rest of them just have matches about nothing. How many of those guys even have a finisher that gets a reaction? Gabriel maybe. And yet they've all traded hundreds of wins with each other, so the finishers have been seen.

For me, there are midcarders who are entertaining and who should be focused on over others. Give them some stories, spend a few months actually trying with them. Not trying with them as in giving them a world title out of nowhere, but trying them as midcard attractions who do stuff besides rematches. Brodus, Riley, Slater, Sandow, Kidd, Otunga, The Prime Time Players, McIntyre (might as well turn face and see how that goes), Santino, Creepy Curtis, Zack Ryder. Some of these are already being treated that way, but for my money, they all should be. I'd like to see WWE have another good go at making big stars of Kofi and Barrett by the end of the year, too.

I think Swagger has/had a load of potential as the fratboy jock prodigy, yet the second he won the world title he became Big Mong Jericho Rip-off and was pretty much ruined. The stuff with the trophies, his dad and the eagle was all fine, but there was a definite and misguided effort to make him a Jericho clone, and they got bored. At this point, he might be too far gone to ever do anything substantial with.

The Miz is back on track it seems, and that's a good thing. But he's been heavily featured before, so he's not exactly someone new. Ziggler's hung around up there near the titles too long and with too little development for me to care. Of the guys who haven't ever really been around the world title, I'd like to see Kofi,

And Sheamus vs Del Rio can fuck off an' all.

One thing about Hawkins and Ryder is they both try or 'get' they need to stand out to get noticed, they both have flashy coloured gear with matching shades, Jackets etc instead of walking out looking bland.

Drew does seem to be in a bad place as getting used but he could get out of it, if he did something big (character wise) like attack Cena (when he was killing time), Taker, Orton or someone worth while, it could make an impact and stick cause he can back it up in-ring. I know he's not on there level but he never will be (same with everyone else) beating other nameless faceless guys.

• Paid Members

Miz is proof that you can come back from it. I like Drew and think something could be done with him, he's probably the best candidate for a sudden big push out of nowhere, fueled by anger at being overlooked and held back. It's been teased before though, so maybe that ship has sailed. I hate his girlie hair though, he's someone who's look could do with an overhaul and a repackaging to get going again. Incredible to think he seemed a dead cert to win the Jack Swagger MITB. Could have been very different if he did.

Damian Sandow is also proof that it ain't over if you get sent back to developmental too.

Id love Trent Barretta to get used more, if Bourne comes back stick them together in a tag team. It's crazy how much talent they've got that is doing nothing and going to waste. Justin Gabriel should be doing something too, actually sack Truth off tagging with Kofi and give him Gabriel, they'd be a much better fit.

I think that right now WWE has more talented lower card wrestlers on its roster than ever. Admittedly not so many that could be huge draws 1 day but theres plenty they could get milage out of for a long while. Id do the following:

Sack:

Riley, Reks, Swagger, Ryan, Bourne, Swagger, JTG, Camacho, Jackson, The Usos, Khali, Mahal, Curtis, Titus, Yoshi

Keep:

Hawkins, Marella, Otunga, Epico, Primo, McGillicutty, Ryder, Cesaro, Brodus, Sandow, Young, McIntyre, Hunico, Gabriel, Slater, Bateman, Watson, Ryback, DiBiase, Sin Cara, Baretta, Kidd

• Moderators
if he did something big (character wise) like attack Cena (when he was killing time), Taker, Orton or someone worth while, it could make an impact and stick cause he can back it up in-ring. I know he's not on there level but he never will be (same with everyone else) beating other nameless faceless guys.

No. I hate things like that when they happen. All I think is "He lost against in a minute against Tyson Kidd last week, how's he beating the fuck out of John Cena now? This is stupid.". There has to be a bridge in it somewhere for me, not straight from one extreme to the other, otherwise it doesn't work unless you've taken them off TV for 6 months to repackage them or something. And you may as well release one of the current lower card than take them off TV to repackage as it'd be far les work just to hand them their P45 and get someone else in/call someone else up.

• Paid Members
I think that right now WWE has more talented lower card wrestlers on its roster than ever.

Depends what you call talented. Everyone has good bodies and everyone can do the moves, but not many of them have anything resembling star quality. Everyone wears kickpads and trunk. Ryback and Brodus Clay looked to have tones of potential when I first saw them. They looked like nothing you'd see on the street. But now Brodus is a clown and Ryback will never be over. Especially now he is selling for Jack Swagger.

Ryder sucks a massive dick. He's WWE's version of Timmy Mallet. The novelty has already worn off with him. He's a waste of space. He's a character who could have got over to a good standard if they struck when the iron was hot, but now the iron has been unplugged. Pointless fucker.

Archived