2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every forum i am a member of normally has active footie discussion like this one in it's off topic section and not one of them had a peep about Scotland game last night which tells it's own story !!

It is all about Strachan shaping a team and system for the future now in my view and from that two positives i thought were Bridcutt and Boyd.

Bridcutt caught in posession cheaply a couple of times but besides that very tidy. Boyd looked very assured on the ball and always showed for a pass which i like.

Centre halfs again are the major problem. If you have someone as slow as Caldwell in the middle then surely he needs complimented with a pacey partner alongside , especially at this level. I know options are very limited but it really is dire and Hanley doesnt look the answer albeit he must be a bag of nerves with Caldwell beside him. Gary McKenzie at MK Dons always looked better than Hanley whenever i've seen him and Gordon Greer is doing OK with Brighton but that is perhaps scraping the barrel, is there anything else?

As for the fullbacks i think Hutton is a terrible defender in all honesty. Whittakers a superior footballer but, again, better going forward then he is defending much like Hutton. I liked Phil Bardsley at fullback in the few games he played so hopefully he is on the road to recovery and then Mulgrews fine on the other side granted its not his preferred position these days but the middle pairing is a big concern for the future, plus Strachan was always very loyal and keen on Caldwell from his Celtic days when he was just as much a liability. Even someone else who is reliable for left-back and play Mulgrew in the middle for some balance; cynical of me but IMO Berra would never have won as many caps if he wasn't left footed.

Hutton is awful and needs to fuck off. It was annoying that Russell Martin had to pull out before Tuesday night's game as actually I think he could do a good job for a few years in preference to Hutton, but I'd even rather see Whittaker in there. Hanley was definitely better last night than usual and although I am no Caldwell fan, we have few other options there. It's strange to see a Scotland team so lacking in centre halves when at one point we couldn't move for them. Andy Webster is likely not the answer either as he's a chronic bottler.

In domestic news, it seems Dunfermline have started making redundancies with Jordan McMillan and Joe Cardle the first to go. Could see McMillan returning to Rangers in the summer, he was the reserves captain around the time of Blue Heaven and I imagine this time around he'd get a game or two.

Most of the players are English and don't give a fuck. Probably why no-one gives enough of a fuck about the national team to discuss them. Promote the Under 21's for the remaining games, fuck it, we've got nothing to lose.

Most of the players are English and don't give a fuck. Probably why no-one gives enough of a fuck about the national team to discuss them. Promote the Under 21's for the remaining games, fuck it, we've got nothing to lose.

That's a slightly short-sighted and inaccurate statement, considering that only four of the eighteen players playing over the weekend were English-born, one of whom was Steven Fletcher who went off after four minutes of the first game and the other three were Bridcutt (accepted to have done very well on his debut last night), Boyd (did quite well and made a couple of chances) and Rhodes (scored loads in the Under-21s). I agree there's a lack of passion but it's not wholly down to having too many English-born players.

• Paid Members
Could see McMillan returning to Rangers in the summer, he was the reserves captain around the time of Blue Heaven and I imagine this time around he'd get a game or two.

"Blue Heaven" is really depressing looking back. Good show that doesn't get repeated enough though. Most of them were complete wallopers and that's what was the entertaining part, especially the parents.

Even if Rangers did still have history, I can't believe they're wanking over making it "55". :laugh:

Surely the great thing about 54 was that it was won in the top league?

Who is doing that?

I see Jordan McMillan signed for Partick Thistle, by the way.

Archived