2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

David - Maybe it's time for playoffs and split seasons, as they do in Latin America. You get more random champions, breaks up the hegemony a bit.

Hopefully Charles Green can work a way for Rangers to get into England. Celtic would be sure to follow.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yadda yadda yadda. I just can't wait untill this bullshit clears up from both sides of the fence. I don't think I've ever been so bored by anything than I've been by this entire fiasco recently. I was hoping this would put an end to some of it, but alas, it hasn't.

Just seen the Hibs "goal" that wasnt given in the Edinburgh derby today.

How has that not been given?? :confused:

It's not been given because a directive was handed down a couple of season back that the refree should watch the wall and the assistant shoudl watch for offside. Previously a lot of referees, having awarded a free-kick in a shooting position, would have sent the assistant to the goal line to watch for ball over the line situations. A couple of things can be done here, the first is obviously technology and the second is to give the referees back the power to decide where their assistant stands. In fact in this case you can even make a genuine argument for having the othewise useless extra offciial behind the goal.

Just seen the Hibs "goal" that wasnt given in the Edinburgh derby today.

How has that not been given?? :confused:

It's not been given because a directive was handed down a couple of season back that the refree should watch the wall and the assistant shoudl watch for offside. Previously a lot of referees, having awarded a free-kick in a shooting position, would have sent the assistant to the goal line to watch for ball over the line situations. A couple of things can be done here, the first is obviously technology and the second is to give the referees back the power to decide where their assistant stands. In fact in this case you can even make a genuine argument for having the othewise useless extra offciial behind the goal.

It wasnt even close though!! Even if he's watching for offside, I cant see how the linesman has failed to spot the fact that the ball crossed the line!

Because as soon as the ball is hit he has to sprint towards the goal line. At full speed and from an angle there's no way he would have been 100% certain it's gone over the line. He has to be 100% in his own mind that the ball is over or he can't give it. It's all very well saying it's well over having seen numerous replays but the assistant doesn't have that luxury.

I didn't need 5 replays. I doubt anyone else watching did either. It was a clear and obvious goal. The spin of the ball should have helped too.

If the referee wasn't able to follow that, given where the line of defense actually was and where he had to track back from, it should have been a certainty. He fucked up.

Nah, the referee is 35 yards away from it and at an almost straight on angle, which is exactly where the SFA and UEFA would expect him to be. The responsibility for making this decision ultimately lies with the referee but from his position it's impossible for him to see it and therefore he has to go with the assistant's view and whatever he signals for. It's just not possible for the assistant to be 100% in this situation.

Nah, the referee is 35 yards away from it and at an almost straight on angle, which is exactly where the SFA and UEFA would expect him to be. The responsibility for making this decision ultimately lies with the referee but from his position it's impossible for him to see it and therefore he has to go with the assistant's view and whatever he signals for. It's just not possible for the assistant to be 100% in this situation.

Turns out he's around the penalty spot ( you can tell because of the lines on the grass ). He WAS on line with the 18 yard box when the free kick was hit. The goalkeeper had cleared his line of vision when because his dive took him clear. He should have seen it.

I think its harsh to say he should have seen it. If he does see it and get it right then its a great spot and decision but I donth think he'll be hammered, and nor should he be imo, for not seeing it given that his positioning was correct at all times.

Because as soon as the ball is hit he has to sprint towards the goal line. At full speed and from an angle there's no way he would have been 100% certain it's gone over the line. He has to be 100% in his own mind that the ball is over or he can't give it. It's all very well saying it's well over having seen numerous replays but the assistant doesn't have that luxury.

Sorry but I only seen the shot out of the corner of my eye, while on the laptop and knew it was in straight away. No way should he have missed that, running or not.

Archived