American Wrestling Tribute Shows

goldeneye86

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Luckily, I didn't see any of the full-on WWF tribute shows of 1998-2000, but had seen some of the tribute wrestlers knocking about before that.

Are you sure they're all the same bloke? Looks like UK Undertaker has been played by as many actors as the real Undertaker.

Rick Masters was the UK Undertaker for years. Here's one of Tony Knox's photos:

underfaker.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's been loads though.

I first saw UK Undertaker in February 1994 on the very first show I attended. He was the only tribute on the card, unless you also count Tarantula/Arachnamaniac going round as The Barbarian, using the same haircut and facepaint as US one had done in WCW. When they returned the next year, Undertaker had been joined by Doink the Clown. On another show I saw that summer (1995) in Scarborough, there was Undertaker, Doink, Legend of Doom... and a Power Ranger. Got some photos somewhere (as in proper photos), including a couple of polaroids of a young me posing mid-ring with Taker/Doink during the interval.

There was actually a British tag team in the early 90s called The Undertakers, comprised of 'Doom' and 'Gloom', but they weren't a tribute to the WWF version.

'British Bushwhacker' was around during that period too.

"Rock and Roll Express" wasn't a tribute gimmick - it was the nickname of British veteran Blondie Barratt.

EDIT: shit, just done a bit of research and it turns out Undertakers Doom and Gloom were actually played by father and son Pitman's Hercules and Johnny Angel , who used to be regulars on the scene across the north. Angel was especially awesome, and even had a bit of a return run on northern FWA shows in the mid 00s.

• Paid Members
The show with Legend of Doom on it wasn't bad. He was the only tribute and the show had Fatu and Yokozuna on it, and it had some decent stuff, and Jace the Ace in particular left an impression. Texas Joe left an impression because he was shite.

I was at the Aberdeen show on the same tour.

Jase The Ace, UK Kid, Spinner McKenzie, Skull Murphy and Drew Mcdonald were also on the card too if I remember correctly. The night ending with Drew and Murphy challenging Yoko and Fatu for a match "next time".

I also got a polaroid of myself in the ring with Yoko and Fatu (who was actually Tonga Kid I think?).

• Paid Members

I saw the Power Ranger wrestle in Llangefni when I was around 12 (must be 1996 or so) and could swear he was played by Gary B Ware (another Orig Williams staple) who'd wrestled earlier on in the show.

I vividly remember him being played off as the big babyface in the opening match but we all burst out pointing and laughung when he came out in bright pink tights.

Just remembered one of the shows in 2000 when Undertaker had come back in biker persona and the ring announcer at a tribute show heavily implied the guy on WWE was a fake, while the guy at the Ashton Hippodrome was the original.

The Tameside Hippodrome was where I ended up seeing one as a kid. I remember telling my dad that the LOD there were the real ones because I knew he wouldnt know and since he said it was a rip off I thought I might not get to go to any other shows. I knew there were proper UK shows out there just didn't know of any near here and didn't want to ruin my chances of finding them.

The Wrestling Power Ranger was on the first show I ever saw at Rhyl Coliseum. Orig Williams promoted, presumably, and he featured on live commentary through the night/ Johnny Saint was in the first match against a guy who was being bothered by a plant in the audience who appeared at the next million or so of those shows I attended in Rhyl throughout the years, who bothered the exact same wrestler every time.

Undertaker appeared alongside someone doing an LOD gimmick. All the other masses of tributes turned up later with The Rock, X Pack w/ Tori, Mankind, Austin and Boston Blackie as The Rock.

I remember the Kane tribute used to uncharacteristically stomp the mat and clap his hands to get everyone going, aswell as having a head of hair that Psicosis would be jealous of.

EDIT - garynysmon's post has reminded me - it was Gary B Ware being fucked about by a stunt granny at every show he was on

I remember going to a show at the Stockport Plaza in 2000. The Bushwhackers headlined that, along with The American Avalanche (PN News). Pretty sure The Undertaker tribute turned up at that too.

I also remember seeing The Red Ranger at a Haven holiday camp in 1996. His opponent that night was a bad guy because, erm, he was Pakistani. Also on the card was 'The Legend of Doom', a guy who basically just looked like Hawk so bought a load of LOD gear and made a living. I saw him a few years earlier in Rhyl too, and I'm pretty sure Finlay was wrestling that night, along with Big Daddy, Skull Murphy, Robbie Brookside and the like.

I remember an, um, interesting show that opened with a steel cage tournament (!) featuring 'Sgt. Slaughter', 'Kevin Kelly' and a Poundstretcher La Parka and ending with a tables match where 'The Undertaker' chokeslammed 'Nasty Boy Brian Knobs' through the table, without Knobs' feet leaving the ground!

In fairness, got some cracking early 90s WWF arenas programmes. Oh, and there was a superplex off the top of the cage at some point, that was pretty mental!

Archived