American Wrestling Tribute Shows

goldeneye86

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember my dad taking my friends and I to one in The Ulster Hall around Christmas time one year. I only remember seeing Kane and The Undertaker though. Have no idea who all the other guys were but they def were not dressed up as anyone...

I worked on the show at bishopbriggs, the reason there was three cage matches was the leisure centre staff would not allow them to take the cage down until the end of the show. There was also one major f up, the cage had no door and it had to be seperated at the corner to allow access to the ring.

The tribute shows like all tributes had there place if people thought they were real then more fool them. Its not hard to tell when the wwe charge

• Paid Members

Just remembered one of the shows in 2000 when Undertaker had come back in biker persona and the ring announcer at a tribute show heavily implied the guy on WWE was a fake, while the guy at the Ashton Hippodrome was the original.

Strangely, I was going to start a thread about this a wee while ago.

I went to one when I was about 11 in the Leisuredrome in Bishopbriggs. For what it was, it was a good night. There was a fake Doink who incited all the kids to come to ringside to smash the piss out of some poor shitarse, which was huge fun. There was a fake Undertaker, a "Royale Rumble" and THREE Steel Cage matches, because it took too long to assemble and disassemble for one match. The wrestling was probably shocking, but when you're 11, it doesn't really matter.

They still do shows at the Pavilion every so often, so it must be somewhat profitable. Then again, I doubt you would get many ***** Meltzer-botherers on the card, but seeing as there's going to be absolutely nobody over the age of 15 that isn't a parent there, it doesn't really matter. It's not really a UKFF concern. I would be interested to know if any of the resident wrestlers/industry bods on here have worked on the circuit in some capacity and what it's like, however.

I went to one there as well in about 2001 or so. I seem to remember a guy who was wearing what looked like Drew McIntyre's old blue and white spandex shorts complete with saltire, but I'm sure it can't have been him. He did have black hair and was very young, but I don't think McIntyre had even started wrestling then. They had a Dudley Boyz act on it, who basically dressed up in camouflage. One of the "Dudleyz" nearly broke their face attempting a tope.

I went to another one in Clydebank, which featured the aforementioned fake Undi. He capped off his brilliant performance by performing a RUNNING JUMPING TOMBSTONE. It was a thing of beauty. The oddest thing about these shows was that they would sell early to mid nineties WWF merchandise. I got myself a WWF annual from, I think, 1992. Think it only cost four quid. The live commentator kept on getting sweets chucked at him as well, from those pesky Clydebank hoodlums. He had to announce in his broad Northern English accent "Would people please stop throwing things otherwise the show will have to stop" I felt like chucking 300 quid worth of penny sweets at him at that point.

They did a few shows here in I'd say 2000/2001 ish. The one I saw was held at Ebbw Vale leisure centre. I remember it featuring "Kane" "The Rock" "The Undertaker" and I think LOD. I remember a Battle Royal and they seemed to always advertise Ladder/Cage matches that never actually happened for safety reasons.

I remember Drew McDonald been Tazz at Hull City Hall, I also remember the Dudley boy, Undertaker thing at Woodford, I also remember a show at Woodford Leisure Centre the Main event was builded Jake the Snake Roberts vs Earthquake, Amazingly it turned out to be the real Jake Roberts.

i remember one in scunthorpe when i was like 14 or 13 and stone cold steve austin looking really skinny and this 6 year old looked really excited untill "stone cold" sounded like he was of south yorkshire decent and the 6 year old crying and also the detroit destroyer looking like mankind from earlier against the dudley boy.

wasn't there one in scotland where the promoter got all the money and halfway through the show dismantled the cage and did a runner with the money

I've seen Legend of Doom and fake X-Pac, Mankind and Tazz, and yeah, Tazz was Drew McDonald. And didn't throw a single Suplex. He was dubbed the "Human Clothesline Machine" by us, seeing as that was pretty much all he did.

The show with Legend of Doom on it wasn't bad. He was the only tribute and the show had Fatu and Yokozuna on it, and it had some decent stuff, and Jace the Ace in particular left an impression. Texas Joe left an impression because he was shite.

The one with the rest of them ( all on the same show ) was horrendous. Mankind had the most fake baseball bat ever. Which was made all the more bizarre by the fact that Mankind let the fans hold it, leading them to be like "what's this?!"

Archived