Toothache.

Kata Ha Jime

I've had a root canal and it didn't hurt one bit.

My dentist has a tv you can watch but i tend to keep my eyes closed and just listen to it.

That's good! How long did yours take? Did he put anything in your mouth to keep it open? Were you able to rinse and spit out? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a few years ago and i've had a lot of treatment due to holes and cracked teeth so it all blurs together.

I don't remember how long it took but i would think it will be around 30 - 45 mins (your appointment may be booked for an hour). They have to drill and clear out the tooth, do the canal then fill the tooth back in.

I believe i had a clamp in my mouth and spit and rinse i think is after the injection.

I keep my eyes closed so i was suprised to hear a blow torch. This was used to heat something up that was then dabbed to my gum to close the wound i would imagine.

I had heard the horror stories too before i had it done but this was the most painless experience i've had regarding treatment.

I recently had a root canal with a crown. I had gone to the local dentist with tooth pain and the dentist told me that it was either a root canal or my tooth out. I stupidly decided to have it out.

I turned up and sat down in the chair and she gave me the anesthetic but I could feel everything. I have had plenty of fillings and even root canal to know how numb you are meant to be. This felt odd and I told her after only 5 minutes outside waiting for it to kick in. She gave me some more anesthetic and I went back outside. I had freaked out by now and had lost all confidence in the procedure. I went back in and sat back down. I was numb but my mind was in over drive. She clamped onto my tooth and started to pull. I let out a massive gasp and told her to stop. Fuck me that was the worst feeling ever.

I walked out with a numb face, a tooth that was still intact just a bit bloodied and pissed off. Tooth ache is a ball ache. I went home and waited for the numbing to go down. So extraction was out of the question. A few weeks later I went back and asked for the root canal. I have had root canal before so thought it would be OK. Same issue occurred with the dentist giving me not enough anesthetic so felt completely nervous again. She gave me the fullest amount she could but again, my confidence was shot. The first time she put the drill on my tooth I could feel everything and we stopped again.

It was at this point when she said she could refer me to another dentist who could do the IV Sedation. At first I was a little unsure but then reading forums and seeing as it got pretty much 100% success rates and people saying that they would never go back to normal anesthetic I was convinced and asked to be referred.

I have to say the IV Sedation was fucking brilliant. The dentist I went to was really professional and they really look after you. The sedation is one where you awake but you are unaware of barely anything. I only remember the dentist asking me to bite down on the crown cover.

All in all. IV Sedation is the way to go from now on. So simple and literally no issues with worries and anesthetic.

• Paid Members

Had to have surgery a few months ago to remove my two lower wisdom teeth. I've never had anything but grief from my wisdoms, and have already had the upper two out. All of them have grown in some weird way, can barely reach them to clean them, so they end up in a bad state.

The ones I had removed were no exception. The right one ended up cracked all the way through (excruciating) and the left one was mostly buried under gum, with only a corner poking through. Was told by the dentist he couldn't remove either because the split one's roots were growing outwards, and the other, obviously, would require cutting open the gum.

Went to Homerton General, they put me under. I absolutely fucking insisted on it - however skilled the surgeon, I was NOT going to stay awake for someone slicing into my gums.

The next few weeks were probably the most pain I have ever been in; it was pure torture. I'm susceptible to mouth ulcers, and the areas where my teeth had been removed and the gums stitched up were a red mass of agony. Add to that that apparently I'd stopped breathing while anaesthetised, they'd had to intubate me; to cap it off, it turns out the way my throat's structured, I'm naturally difficult to intubate, and they'd really scraped the back of my throat, causing a massive ulcer to appear there too. That left me unable to swallow even the soup I was only allowed to have for three weeks without experiencing a slicing, shrieking pain. Couldn't sleep properly either.

Upside was I lost a load of weight.

I've had a few trips when i've had to man up with the injection not working fully.

The last time i went one of my big chewing teeth was cracked in half and needed removing because there was an infection starting to appear.

2 injections didn't numb properly but i told them to get on with it. Half the tooth came out easy but the other was stuck solid.

They had to cut deep into my gum and after i got a discount because it was nearly 50 mins and a hard extraction.

Nearly 2 weeks later the stiching came loose but the end of it was stuck in my gum so it was like when you have a hair stuck in your teeth that you can feel but can't get rid of.

Took another week of being annoyed before i plucked up the courage to lank it out.

Just back from the dentist now. It was fine!

He started on it at 10 and I was out by 10:30.

No clamp, dental dam or anything like that because he knows I'd gag so it was just like a normal filling. Such a relief. I'm hoping it's not too good to be true and it holds up.  :thumbsup:

Archived