Toothache.

Kata Ha Jime

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Advice off my missus (pharmacology degree), assuming you aren't able/willing/allowed to get on codeine-based painkillers. Best bet for toothache is to have both paracetomol and ibuprofen. Take the maximum dose of both throughout the day, but split the doses out so you've got a constant alternating supply.

In most cases you're allowed two of each every four hours, so best schedule is to take one pill an hour, alternating between the two drugs.

• Paid Members

Advice off my missus (pharmacology degree), assuming you aren't able/willing/allowed to get on codeine-based painkillers. Best bet for toothache is to have both paracetomol and ibuprofen. Take the maximum dose of both throughout the day, but split the doses out so you've got a constant alternating supply.

In most cases you're allowed two of each every four hours, so best schedule is to take one pill an hour, alternating between the two drugs.

I've been taking two each of paracetamol and ibuprofen every four hours and they haven't been working. It's been the cold water method giving me any form of relief. I've not thought about staggering the pills though. I'm willing to give anything a try though. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

As long as it's subsided somewhat tomorrow, got a day out tomorrow that I'd like to be in a good mood for.  :xmas:

• 1 year later...

I have a root canal booked in for Tuesday morning and I've been dreading it for months. I'd known I was going to need one at some point but when you actually get a date for it, that's when I start to worry. The worry became worse when the tooth started to throb like a bastard. I've had 2 emergency appointments since my last check up in January for him to "clean out the tooth" - that took the pain away for 2 weeks so made another emergency appointment and he did the same thing again, cleaned it out and that has lasted fine until yesterday when just walking up stairs sets the throb going again. 

I already get bad anxiety about stuff so I'm really not looking forward to Tuesday, especially after all the bad stories I've read (stupid me, I shouldn't have watched a Youtube video of the procedure either).

I dunno how I'm really going to get through it. I can't even have regular xrays at the dentist because I have a bad gag reflex so I have to go to a different practice that has an external x ray machine that goes around the outside of your head. 

I'm just hoping it's going to feel like a regular filling but just take a bit longer to do...

I bought Orajel from Boots, that's helping take the edge off the throb at the moment. It will be a relief to have the pain gone and be able to exercise and chew on both sides of my mouth again. Just wish they'd give me something to take during the procedure so I could be less aware / more relaxed. 

You 'll be given general anaesthetic for the procedure to numb whichever side your having done. When I had an extraction done the other year, I asked my dentist if I could have my iPod with me to take my mind off it. They didn't have a problem with that, I just one headphone in so that if they needed to tell me anything I could still hear them and ran the cable on the inside of my tshirt do that it wasn't in the way.

But yeah, headphone in eyes closed and I was ok

Having said that, your dentist may not be as accommodating as mine was, but it's worth asking. The more relaxed you are the easier it's going to be for them to do the work

Yeah I sometimes have my music on, cheers. I'll make sure I don't forget to take some music.

I've had fillings done before and it's been okay, I'm just worried about the length of time it's going to take and having to keep my mouth open for so long. Your Fight Site's post about spitting and rinsing during his root canal gives me hope that I will be able to have a break during it and rinse my mouth out. My mouth goes so dry because I'm already anxious just being there. I was also worried about him trying to put a dental dam on me. I don't think my gag reflex could cope with a plastic sheet in my mouth. 

• Paid Members

Aye, soluble Solpadeine always hits the spot if I have toothache. You might need to go through hoops to get it in the Chemists though, explain your dental situation to them. Don't get the MAX version. I find that one is really shit for some reason. MAX has a vile taste too.

ADDED: Don't use salt and water like Mum tells me. Always makes the bloody thing worse. Stay away from the "harder drugs" like Tramadol for toothpain too. Doesn't work at all and it takes its time to start working in your body. 1 hour plus to get started.

• Awards Moderator

I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out in two sittings a couple of years ago. WSM, you mean local anaesthetic. General is the knockout stuff, which depending on your dentist you may be able to insist on but it is an extreme way to go.

Local is fine, you get the scratchy stab in the gum until it's numb, and then it just feels like someone rummaging around in your gob. That's not as bad as it sounds. Clearly they're doing *something* back there but there's no pain.

I found it useful to focus on one of the lights in the ceiling and try and sing an entire album in my head until they're done. It was Pet Sounds since you ask, I managed to get to Sloop John B.

Also make sure you have a lift home. Local can make you feel a bit dozy afterwards. Try and get a nap ASAP so you're less conscious of the gear wearing off.

I have to go back to work in the afternoon, should be okay. I've had local anaesthetic before and it typically wears off within the hour for me.

Good suggestion to focus on lyrics...trying to remember them will give my brain something to do...

Can't wait for it to be over. I can't be having a clamp or plastic sheet in my mouth, I know that...hopefully my dentist can do it similarly to how he does a regular filling. 

Archived