The Best & Worst of Raw

NEWM

• Paid Members
Fun fact I found out this week that Vince, like with Shawn's entrance at WM 12, did the dumpster stunt himself before the show as well.

Where did you find that out? I noticed Vince was well clear the night Owen Hart got up on the harness.

Imagine if Vince died before the PPV? Slap bang in the middle of the Monday Night Wars?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's not as comprehensive as I would have liked, laptop goes mental with too much Google images usage. Still, hope my theme of "it used to be great, then it went a bit lame" comes across.

perfectplex1.jpg300_300123Kid.jpg21850.jpgTag_Steiners.jpg19940110_queb123marty.jpg19940711_bhart_xpac.jpg0.jpgbret_shatner.jpgsid.jpgHakushi_-_Kensuke_Ginsei_Shinzaki_03.jpg19951009_sixmantag.jpg0.jpgwwe-sunny-1.jpg

15.jpg

WWE-OMG-Pillmans-Got-a-Gun-300x168.png

hqdefault.jpg

19970224_ecw.jpg

0.jpg

12b.jpg

WWE-Triple-H-Orignal-DX.jpg

tumblr_m78if0eIfM1rqoq0po2_1280.jpgtumblr_m7117c8eNG1rqoq0po1_1280.jpgThe-Rock-with-Eugene.jpgvince-mcmahon.jpg

igduad.jpg

McMahon_Hart.jpg

tumblr_m6bbflzB051qzx70zo2_1280.jpgtumblr_m6vlbqTYiM1rqoq0po1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5ug9kUI8z1rqoq0po1_1280.jpg

tensai_display_image.jpg

tumblr_m5ui0mQumN1rqoq0po2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6kh3qBUAI1rqoq0po1_1280.jpg

I don't think anyone's posted anything from 1995 yet.

1995 was class on toast. Somebody mentioned the Raw main event that lead to HBK, Diesel and Taker getting destroyed by all the major heels. A fantastic match with a brilliant end sequence tying in all the big angles at the time.

In fact, Michaels was in the form of his life at this point, so if he was on the show, you were getting a great match at least. Here's some stuff from 95 that sticks out to me without any major thought whatsoever.

Sid "turns heel"

Sid_USE.jpg

Okay, so they treat him like the biggest face in the world when it happened, but Sid murdering Michaels during the ads was a lovely idea, with the viewer coming back to see the previously mouthy Michaels dead and flat on his face. Until Big Daddy Cool made the save, the fans didn't clock that Sid was the baddie, but upon his heroic return, Michaels was suddenly the top face in the industry. Great segment.

Shawn is dead

19951120_hbk.jpg

It's HBK on his arse again, but it's so bad that Lawler and Vince are off headsets and shitting themselves. Even Cornette's waving Owen off. This angle has lost a lot of its shine from the millions of reruns with other people, but the original was brilliant. Centred in the reality of the kicking Michaels took from the 14,563 marines as Bulldog and Kid shat themselves in the car, it was believable and expertly performed by the best drama guy they have. He was wearing black gloves in this segment too, because if you weren't, you were getting your fucking head kicked in...

Diesel slams the suits

tve75334-19950514-1877.gif

...because the real Big Daddy Cool was back, and not giving a fuck! One of the first to dabble effectively with the tweener role, talking to Vince on air as his gaffer and not just the announcer, and shoulder-barging stagehands because he good, Nash cut the work-shoot promo of his life the night after his title loss to Bret, insisting that it was time to stop being such a soft cunt. The coolest guy on the show made himself even cooler, and was instantly about three times more relevant a character than everybody else on the show.

Sick to the back teeth of the Hitman!

wwf-monday-night-raw-1995-complete-dvd-set-6475d.jpg

Nah, only kidding, that was shite.

Other things that were ace about 1995 Raw:

- The debut of the R A W set. I think.

- Raw on the Roof! My favourite Raw credit sequence. A big roster of colourful-outfitted weirdos mixing with four or five of the greatest talents in the history of the industry, a fucking massive inflatable Undertaker for some reason, a battle royal set to music, and all on the roof of Titan Tower! Where's this kind of daft shite nowadays?

- Bret Hart vs every daft cunt going, and it all being brilliant. Backlund, Lawler, Hakushi, Yankem, Jean-Pierre Lafite, he'd get into all sorts of silliness and nearly all of it yielded some decent matches or segments.

- The Bulldog's heel turn. Mid 90s WWF turns were my favourite turns. Turns were amazing around that time, maybe Vince acting like the apocalypse was upon us on the headset made the difference, I dunno. The 123 Kid too. The fucking little bellend.

1995 was the nuts.

Whenever favourite Raw moments crop up, this is always the first thing in my head.

KurtAngle.jpg

Austin Appreciation Night

August 2001

There have been too many "appreciation" nights on Raw now but this was an original. The day after Summerslam 2001, the WCW/ECW Alliance decided to show their appreciation towards WWF Champion Stone Cold Steve Austin, even though he escaped by the skin of his teeth in a hard-hitting title match against Kurt Angle. Angle had kicked out of THREE Stone Cold Stunners and Austin was saved by a lame disqualification result to hold onto the gold. This didn't matter to the rest of the Alliance, and we (and a disgusted Jim Ross on commentary) watched on as the Alliance stars surrounded the ring and paid respect to their leader.

Highlights:

Jim Ross: "Urgh, who better than Kanyon, let me think(!)"

Kanyon: "For years, the question has always been, 'Who betta than Kanyon?' Last night, finally, I think that question was answered. It's you, Stone Cold...it's you."

Jim Ross: (Watching Austin's wife Debra hand over a plate of her home-baked cookies) "Austin IS the toughest SOB in the Alliance if he manages to eat one of those bricks."

We get a video tribute of Austin battering other men (and women) and whipping Tazz over, and over, and over again. And then, the main event of the evening sees Stephanie McMahon get the entire Alliance into the ring to sing a song for Stone Cold. We see a silly cue on the titantron of Austin's face as the WCW/ECW superstars (after Lilian Garcia is deemed not good enough) sing their hearts out to Wind Beneath Our Ring, led by the disasterous vocals of Stephie-baby herself. The likes of Chavo Guerrero, Justin Credible and Raven joined in. Jim Ross has a heart attack.

Stone Cold is terribly pleased, but then it all goes wrong. He picks on Tazz for not wearing a Stone Cold shirt, before American hero Kurt Angle shows up. In a milk truck. Taking the piss out of the famous Austin beer baths, Angle douses the entire Alliance in milk, and afterwards everybody in the vicinity leaves the arena stinking.

Jim Ross: "Milk-o-Mania is running wild!! The million dollar princess has become a dairy queen!!"

As for worst moment, one segment always comes to mind for me too.

8333810.jpg

Johnny Knoxville on Raw

Awful. Johnny Knoxville shows up to plug himself, gets bodyslammed by Beth Pheonix, tadpole-splashed by Hornswoggle, covered in worms by The Boogeyman then smacked in the puss by the Great Khali. Yay.

s-o-should-worn-leopard--large-msg-116111772927.jpg

In a similar moment, I think the RAW in 2006 when Steve O no sold against Umaga and got a brutal beating in return is one of the best moments from RAW just because it was good to see a special guest celebrity who was taking the piss actually get some payback for once!

Ouch

• Moderators

The Price is RAW!

bob-barker_l1.jpg

A lot of people moan about the Guest Host period of Raw, and they're probably right to. But anyone who didn't enjoy Bob Barker as guest host is a total idiot that needs killing. The kind of shine and polish at only comes from being a TV personality for a million years emanated from the game show veteran, and his owning of Chris Jericho was a joy to behold. I remember us all in chat marking hard for Bob Barker that night. The pop from the live fans he got for coming out was amazing, one of the best for the past few years anyway. Here's some Barker from that evening for us all to enjoy again.

Bob Barker is fucking great, so fuck you.

The funniest thing about Milk-O-Mania Running Wild to me was always the way they pulled off Kurt side stepping Planet Stasiak, leaving him to run head first into the milk float, topped off with Angle turning his attention to Stasiak for a second who was out on the floor to blast just him specifically with the big fuck off hose.

The build up to Kane/Undertaker at Wrestlemania 14 was something that stuck out for me as some of the best television WWE has ever produced. Hopefully i'm remembering it right, but the promo video before the match itself was fucking mindblowing with that dramatic music blaring and all those shots of the Undertaker walking through pyro and shouting "I WILL WALK THROUGH THE FIRES OF HELL TO FACE YOU, KANE".

Here's two videos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9yjDkbHqfs&feature=plcp

There's also that moment where 'Taker's on top of the Titan Tron and uses his spooky lightning powers to set a casket with a Kane mannequin on fire. Top stuff.

• Paid Members
The funniest thing about Milk-O-Mania Running Wild to me was always the way they pulled off Kurt side stepping Planet Stasiak, leaving him to run head first into the milk float, topped off with Angle turning his attention to Stasiak for a second who was out on the floor to blast just him specifically with the big fuck off hose.

JR: "What an idiot."

Best of Raw......

HBK makes Montreal his bitch during his criminally short, but fantastic, heel run in 2005.

Over 10,000 fans collectively spaff in their kecks when Bret Hart's music hits and Shawn's complete dickishness at their marking out makes it one of THE best Raw moments of all time.

http://youtu.be/70AipeXT7E0

Worst of Raw........

http://youtu.be/Wxjf_6JCrHk

Bradshaw and Trish Stratus v Jackie Gayda and Chris Nowinski.

Yeah, THAT match....

Good:

Vader battering Gorilla Monsoon the night after his Rumble 96 debut.

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels 30 Iron Man Match from Raw Homecoming, not there best match together but it was good and happened on Raw.

Matt Hardy returns in 2005, street fight and ladder match vs Edge were great.

Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker Ladder Match from 2002

Archived