Favourite PPV intro videos

Golga

• Paid Members

The first one that ever really caught my attention was Over The Edge 98.

Stone Cold had completed his chase for the belt a couple of months before and now we were transitioning to the feud with Mr McMahon, who up to this point wasn't the character that we would later know him to be. He'd just asked "Mr Austin" to compromise in order to earn McMahon's endorsement. This video package moved us away from a presentation of Vince as the happy-go-lucky owner and underlined that Mr McMahon was a malevolent totalitarian.

Interspersing footage of Stalin, Mussolini and Soviet tanks with a voice reminding us that "You must conform" and "Welcome to Mr McMahon's utopia", it elevates Vince and the feud perfectly and I loved it at the time.

Seconded for Survivor Series 1990.

AX. ANIMAL. SMASH. HAWK. CRUSH!

And WrestleMania VIII as well. IT'S A DOOOOUUBBBLLLLEEE MAAAIIIIINNNN EVENT!

Either Royal Rumble 1991 or Royal Rumble 1992 with Vince running down the list of participants.

King of the Ring 1993 is another of my favourites. 'Former World Wrestling Federation Champion 'The Hitman' Bret 'Art goes one-on-one with an old nemesis in Ruthless Razor Ramon'

Vince is the undoubted king of shilling a PPV on the opening video. It could be a match-up between a lump or turd and a block of cheese and Vince could have me believe it's the best thing ever.

Archived