How Important Is Kayfabe?

Kata Ha Jime

Not that important to be in terms of being constantly maintained. In fact, I am equally as fascinated in listening to wrestlers talk out of their wrestling characters and reveal behind the scenes information.

I want it maintained for the duration of the shows, and that's something that every live show I've attended has kept up. For example, I would be quite miffed if I arrived for a show and saw some of the wrestlers practicing their spots, or if the wrestlers on the card came out post show breaking their characters and hanging out with their opponents. But once I'm out the building I wouldn't mind seeing the performers out of character.

Its very important in my eyes. I enjoy my wrestling most when I am worked.

My pet peeve related to this is seeing opponents thank each other for the match that evening on facebook, where 734 of their friends are punters. Thank them in the changing room and shut the fuck up online please.

The current generation were brought up in an era where kayfabe barely existed, by the time the next lot come through it will be gone entirely.

This is also a really big pet peve of mine too. On a similar pet peve is wrestlers who work for internet orientated companies having bitter blood feuds then bantering with each other on Facebook when they have the marks who they are trying to work as friends on Facebook just screams epic fail.

My pet peeve related to this is seeing opponents thank each other for the match that evening on facebook, where 734 of their friends are punters. Thank them in the changing room and shut the fuck up online please.

The current generation were brought up in an era where kayfabe barely existed, by the time the next lot come through it will be gone entirely.

This is also a really big pet peve of mine too. On a similar pet peve is wrestlers who work for internet orientated companies having bitter blood feuds then bantering with each other on Facebook when they have the marks who they are trying to work as friends on Facebook just screams epic fail.

My pet peeve is twunts who can't spell "Peeve" even when quoting a post that contains it and use expressions such as epic fail.

• Paid Members

As per usual, I'm probably going to upset some people with this viewpoint, but how is wrestlers bantering on Facebook any different to a soap star having an interview in those Sunday magazines? Doesn't stop people watching soaps in their millions.

People know wrestling is pre-determined. It is, for all intents and purposes, a male-orientated simulated combat soap opera. I'd dare say if people just moved on and got on with saying, "Yeah, it's scripted. Now just enjoy it" we'd eventually get past the, "Ha-ha, you know wrestling's fixed, right?" comments.

As per usual, I'm probably going to upset some people with this viewpoint, but how is wrestlers bantering on Facebook any different to a soap star having an interview in those Sunday magazines? Doesn't stop people watching soaps in their millions.

People know wrestling is pre-determined. It is, for all intents and purposes, a male-orientated simulated combat soap opera. I'd dare say if people just moved on and got on with saying, "Yeah, it's scripted. Now just enjoy it" we'd eventually get past the, "Ha-ha, you know wrestling's fixed, right?" comments.

So far as I see it, youre not too far wrong, but the main difference is that wrestlers online mainly use their own 'persona' and use the same account to express themself and their character.

For example, people wouldnt be too chuffed if the undertaker had a twitter account called WWEUndertaker, where he tweets about Brock Lesnar resting in peace, then following it up with 'Lolz, your'e all marks11!! HAd a match with Kane last night then a epic nap after'

Although if he had 2 seperate accounts - 'WWEUndertaker' which is in character, and a seperate one, say 'GingerMingeMagnet' for when he wants to tell people what he had for dinner last night, then it would be fine.

Keeping them seperate is the key.

You might have an interview with Bill Roach in 'Soaps Today' talking about his upcoming storylines and that week's bedroom conquests, but you won't get an interview with 'Ken Barlow' talking about how 'Deirdre can't work'

• Paid Members
So far as I see it, youre not too far wrong, but the main difference is that wrestlers online mainly use their own 'persona' and use the same account to express themself and their character.

For example, people wouldnt be too chuffed if the undertaker had a twitter account called WWEUndertaker, where he tweets about Brock Lesnar resting in peace, then following it up with 'Lolz, your'e all marks11!! HAd a match with Kane last night then a epic nap after'

Although if he had 2 seperate accounts - 'WWEUndertaker' which is in character, and a seperate one, say 'GingerMingeMagnet' for when he wants to tell people what he had for dinner last night, then it would be fine.

Keeping them seperate is the key.

You might have an interview with Bill Roach in 'Soaps Today' talking about his upcoming storylines and that week's bedroom conquests, but you won't get an interview with 'Ken Barlow' talking about how 'Deirdre can't work'

Yeah, that I can understand. I think it just comes down to an understanding of modern things like the Internet. Once those in the industry understand it they can make better decisions on how to utilise it.

People may get pissed off with WWE getting a boner on when they trend on Twitter, but at the end of the day people are talking about them on Twitter, and that's because WWE knows how to embrace it rather than try and ignore it or shelter themselves from the big bad 'net.

My pet peeve is twunts who can't spell "Peeve" even when quoting a post that contains it and use expressions such as epic fail.

My pet peeve is the word 'twunt'.

The difference between soap and wrestling is soaps never tried to work anyone that its real.

And isn't aimed at kids who would have the ability to believe its real.

I agree with whoever said kayfabe should be kept up for the length of the program. Young kids don't know it's real. And why do they need to be forced out of that place where its possible for one guy to press another guy over his head against his will. It's a magic place.

I wouldn't want a cast of charchters at the end.

Hulk Hogan was played.by Terry Bolea

Ultimate Warrior was Jim Hellwig

CM Punk was Phil ?

Those who know, know keep the magic alive for those who don't.

Archived