How Important Is Kayfabe?

Kata Ha Jime

After reading another thread I thought I would ask your opinions. To a young audience it can be everything and to us, to some of us it doesn't really matter anymore.

But do some of you still like that part of wrestling? Does it draw you in like it use to? Or are you my Uncle and are in solid knowledge that they are all mates and that Brookside should return?

Its very important in my eyes. I enjoy my wrestling most when I am worked.

My pet peeve related to this is seeing opponents thank each other for the match that evening on facebook, where 734 of their friends are punters. Thank them in the changing room and shut the fuck up online please.

The current generation were brought up in an era where kayfabe barely existed, by the time the next lot come through it will be gone entirely.

Its very important in my eyes. I enjoy my wrestling most when I am worked.

My pet peeve related to this is seeing opponents thank each other for the match that evening on facebook, where 734 of their friends are punters. Thank them in the changing room and shut the fuck up online please.

The current generation were brought up in an era where kayfabe barely existed, by the time the next lot come through it will be gone entirely.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more on all points. Just a very short time ago imagine the reaction on 'the inside' if opponents were seen thanking each other in public!

The way I see it, there's many ways to 'expose' the biz. Everyone knows magic isn't legit, but aren't the magicians still meant to make us believe and cast a little doubt? They don't stand there and tell us / let us see how their shit works on all occasions just because it's not 'real'.

Yes, most people know todays wrestling is a work, but they shouldn't reach this conclusion by being told or shown by those involved. The art of the illusion is dying. Punters can leave a wrestling gig thinking it was worked all they like, but it's sad when they leave knowing this as fact due to kayfabe being broken or ignored all together.

Everyone knows wrestling's fake, and for the most part, the only type of kayfabe now (particularly in ShitWres) is this terrible type of Nu-Kayfabe where lads try to convince fans that wrestling's a work but this bit is real, and they really hate each other and are going to SHOOT ON EACH OTHER, BROTHER. They're gonna work really stiff and they might even go into business for themselves on the finish.

The Lembit Opik stuff worked well, but trying to do the same thing between two wrestlers wouldn't.

If you think that's bad, look at this prick:

trevor_morgan_large_1.jpg

http://www.whatsonstage.com/interviews/the...Alex+Ferns.html

Favourite co-stars

I've had so many. I have to say Kacey (Ainsworth, who plays Little Mo), I loved working with her on EastEnders because she's really on the ball.

And they're both as bad:

Rewatching their Christmas dinner is ruined for me now, and I can't even get a semi-on over the rape scene. The cheek of them. It's almost like they expect people to be able to not be retards who can only enjoy a bit of entertainment if they think it's 100% real.

• Paid Members

I introduced my nephew to wrestling recently and to him its all kayfabe and its amazing to see him really get into it when jaded old me is over analysing, thinking about who's not being pushed or such a move was sloppy or the witty cards in the background.

Who's enjoying the show more?

How much effort do you go into to patronise people?

Depends how thick they're being and what works best. Sometimes, a snappy one-liner will do. Sometimes, a bit more of a rant works better. Sometimes, it's best to include links and pictures and stuff. I judge it on a case-by-case basis, but it's always less effort than walking up a flight of stairs. Walking up a flight of stairs is a lot of effort for me, though.

I wasn't being thick, just stating a pet peeve. You twisted it to a different point again. I never said folk thanking folk stopped me enjoying their work, I said it was a pet peeve.

Pitcos seems to have talent but he spends most of his time just self-consciously trying to get all his shit in rather than building a coherent narrative. That works for some fans, but even at this level the audience is becoming a lot more sophisticated. The fact is that sometimes it seems he really doesn't even know what the point of pro wrestling is. ** 1/4

I've got quite a funny story about Kayfabe.

Many moons ago I jumped into the ring and tried my luck as a wrestler, well I sucked miserably and realised that I should stick to promoting. The problem was, i'd convinced everybody that I was a wrestler, and I mean EVERYBODY. From my family, to my friends and to the local media. I did it so that i'd get newspaper stories etc everytime I had a show in the area, and it worked. Obviously the problem was that I was a promoter and not a wrestler, and everybody wanted to see me wrestle.

Then one day, as I was on my jet ski I hit a floating log, got thrown about 20ft into the air and broke my back and nearly drowned because of it. Anyway, when I left hospital, a journalist who covered my shows in the past asked me what happened...so i proceeded to tell him how I broke my back in the wrestling ring and now I may have to retire. He bought it hook, line and sinker. That weeks paper read "Local wrestler breaks back in the ring". I especially loved the part where it said "He was a Welsh schoolboy champion boxer, he was on the road to earning his black belt in judo, but it was the rough and tumble world of professional wrestling that ended Alan Ravenhill's combat career!". And from that moment on, wrestling became real in the county of Mid Glamorgan. Even to this day, people ask me how my back is. And even on my fathers death bed, he asked me to promise him to never step foot in the ring again.

Now that is Kayfabe :D

Pitcos seems to have talent but he spends most of his time just self-consciously trying to get all his shit in rather than building a coherent narrative. That works for some fans, but even at this level the audience is becoming a lot more sophisticated. The fact is that sometimes it seems he really doesn't even know what the point of pro wrestling is. ** 1/4

That's King Pitcos. Rubbing up braindead Meltzerites the wrong way since 2009. When you the king, snowflakes ain't no thing.

Everyone knows wrestling's fake, and for the most part, the only type of kayfabe now (particularly in ShitWres) is this terrible type of Nu-Kayfabe where lads try to convince fans that wrestling's a work but this bit is real, and they really hate each other and are going to SHOOT ON EACH OTHER, BROTHER. They're gonna work really stiff and they might even go into business for themselves on the finish.

The Lembit Opik stuff worked well, but trying to do the same thing between two wrestlers wouldn't.

If you think that's bad, look at this prick:

(dodgy analogy snipped)

I've got a dodgy analogy to kayfabe too.

Paul Daniels is the campest, least plausible of magicians. And yet he once managed to convince an amusingly large number of people that he'd killed himself live on national TV.

Archived