3 hour Raw

Jason Mayhem

From a business perspective I can totally understand the decision to take Raw to 3 hours. It's one of the highest rated shows on the station it's aired on, producing the highest sponsorship and advertising revenue, and with the hours extention (that they have obviously been testing the waters with recently) they can sell their product for more without greatly increasing the production cost.

However, for me personally, i think it will be time that I decide to stop watching (regularly at least).

I have for the past year been making an effort to watch Raw weekly (having not done so for about 8 years) with a view to enjoying the PPVs more, and on the whole this has worked. With Raw being the supershow, the main feuds are featured and when it comes to the PPVs I understand the back story and the reason why I should care about the matches.

Finding the time to actually watch 90 mins (once you watch a torrent with no ads) of raw each week is a challenge (i'm mid 30s, married, 2 kids, running a company and promoting music as a hobby). Add to this that creatively it has really hit a slump, I think the jump to 3 hours is enough for me to call time on it. I just don't get back what I feel I have to put in to care enough.

Add to this that the past couple of weeks I have downloaded and watched Impact rather than Raw and enjoyed it far more.

I know I am far from WWE's target audience, (although my kids are coming to the age that they currently are targeting), but I would still spend my dollar if I thought it was worth it.

So what do you guys think, is the change to 3 hours going to make you watch more, turn off or are you indifferent?

A plus for me. Monday night is my chill out night. I'm a publican, so Monday / Tuesday is my 'weekend'. Bottle of wine (or two), Raw and a lay in Tuesday morning. I usually find it easier to stay awake for the 3 hour shows anyway, as the big challenge is staying awake until Raw starts!

Personally I think 3 hours is far too much for a weekly show as it stands a good half hour to fourth five minutes are filled with nothing but mindless dribble surely it should be more about the wrestling and what happens when it goes 3 hours does this then become hour and half of mindless dribble?. 3 hours maybe once a blue moon as a special or tribute show yeah but weekly no.

I think it's already been discussed at length in several threads over the past few months on here but to answer, it's definitely a big negative. The show seems to drag on and on as it is, adding another hour is just another nail in the coffin as far as fan interest goes.

• Paid Members

i don't wanna be a party pooper or anything, but i just think it's time you pretty much realised that Raw simply isn't aimed at the late teen-adult market. I read the negativity towards the product on a weekly basis 'what a waste of my time!' '3 hours wasted' etc. it baffles me that so many fans stick by the promotion and sort of hope that every week they are gonna see some revolutionary shift in gears and wrestling will be what they wish it would be.

Realistically, what do people expect?

For me, Attitude Era creativity without the Attitude Era smut. All the clips they've shown on the 1000th Raw were fun, zany segments the likes of which Raw hasn't featured in years. Everything now is cookie-cutter, the writers are very formulaic in their show and feud structuring. Sheamus and Del Rio are just two guys that keep wrestling each other. Austin and Rock threw each other (and belts) into the river. See the difference?

Anyway, I seldom watch a full 2 hours anymore. I keep a vague eye on happenings during the show so I can pay attention when guys like Punk, Bryan and Ziggler are on. 3 hours mean more of that practice. That said, next week I'm probably going to watch the full 3 hours, because they're absolutely loading it.

DX reunion, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, a shitload of unadvertised legends... *Raw spoilers below*

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

D-Bryan and AJ wedding

Christian defends the IC title

Punk vs Cena fot the WWE title

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

i don't wanna be a party pooper or anything, but i just think it's time you pretty much realised that Raw simply isn't aimed at the late teen-adult market. I read the negativity towards the product on a weekly basis 'what a waste of my time!' '3 hours wasted' etc. it baffles me that so many fans stick by the promotion and sort of hope that every week they are gonna see some revolutionary shift in gears and wrestling will be what they wish it would be.

Well said and chuck in the internet audience into that. WWE is aimed at family's who go to shows and buy merchandise and then buy the PPV's

Like you said people tune in every week hoping for some random return to the attitude era, whilst the attitude era had great segements the wrestling wasn't on par with today

10 years from now people will be looking back dreaming of the glory days of Cena and Punk, how do i know this? Because in the attitude era people dreamed about the glory days of Bret & Shawn, rose tinted glasses people

Archived