The local characters/legends of your city

IANdrewDiceClay

Can't find any photos of my locals, which is a shame because they're hanging.

Richie Silver is the ultimate Ystrad legend. If you see a bloke who looks like a tramp (he isn't) walking down the street with a limp in both legs, it's Richie Silver. If you walk through Ystrad for an hour you're likely to see (and smell) him about 4 times in that hour. He's famous for just being a smelly wanker really, and for the sex tape that went around of him with a really fit girl. When me and my mate were 17 we asked him to get us a couple of cans from the shop, handed him a tenner and expected him to come out with 8, but instead he got us 24, so you can't fault him really.

The Ystrad tramp is another. About 10 years ago he turned up and sat himself down on the bench outside the library, and he ended up staying there for 2 years, the nutter. He had a massive green bodysuit which must've been boiling along with his massive ginger beard. Famous for not moving an inch, even if somebody spoke to him. After about 2 years he disappeared, never to be seen again...that is until a year later when I was holidaying in Cornwall, and there he was sat in a bus stop! I'd love to find out how he ended up there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lee Langman can often be found around Hessle or West Hull. He rides around on a bike (actually I've never seen him riding it, only pushing). He sleeps under the Humber Bridge and he carries tons of carrier bags with him. He wears everything he owns so he looks really fat. Occasionally sports a monogrammed Hull City jumper that used to belong to one of the coaching staff. Once a year or so he has a wash and shaves off the beard. Sniffs glue so can often be found crashed out.

Lee8.jpg

d69205f5.jpg

273657_100001958028363_1587199748_n.jpg

Does he have shit on the market? No but he's probably had a shit on the marketplace.

He's on youtube though. And facebook. And myspace.

He's inspired some local art too.

Puppet man is still in Yarmouth. I go past him every day on the way to work. In an interesting development, he now has a rival. A guy who stands on the other side of the road dressed like a teddy boy and sings Elvis songs. This seems to have lit a competitive fire under puppet man, he had a dancer with him the other day. He looked even more crazy.

• Paid Members

Some of these are from Sutton, where I used to live and some from Chichester, where I now reside.

The Jesus Man of Sutton

Jesusman_40.jpg

Reason for Notoriety/Antics:Often seen knocking about on of the parks or near the high street, a generous man who would hand out money to kids and generally being a good egg. Not sure if he was homeless. Gave a mate of mine a can of coke once too. According to this article he died in 2007. It gives no indication of whether or not he rose again three days later.

Dangerous? No.

The Wizard Man of Sutton

wizardmanofsutton.jpg

Reason for Notoriety/Antics: I've never had the pleasure of meeting this one, but he's got a strong following including a Facebook page. He appears to dress like a wizard and have a cat called Zargan. Good enough for me. Apparently a facebook campaign to have have him turn on the Christmas lights one year was successful. He once lost his cat which was then found, and he left this note in the city center:

2913462132_64fc98a492.jpg

Dangerous? No.

The Bearded Lady of Chichester/Guildford

549706_f520.jpg

Reason for Notoriety/Antics: Is a lady with a beard. Possible fan of early Manic Street Preachers due to attire, but unlikely. Used to pop up in Chichester around Christmas which was a great novelty as you might imagine. Haven't seen her in a long time, but judging by a quick google, she's a regular at the Friary Centre in Guildford. There's a blog about her here. Big fan of the Beano and the Dandy apparently. She also claims to have never been south of Guildford, which is bollocks.

Dangerous? No. Fibber though.

Kilt Man

[No photo's I can find. Just picture a dishevelled Colin Firth in a kilt with a deranged face]

Reason for Notoriety/Antics: Stands in the centre of town singing, intimidating school children. Will make jokes that don't make sense and piss himself laughing.

Dangerous? Probably.

• Paid Members
Puppet man is still in Yarmouth. I go past him every day on the way to work. In an interesting development, he now has a rival. A guy who stands on the other side of the road dressed like a teddy boy and sings Elvis songs. This seems to have lit a competitive fire under puppet man, he had a dancer with him the other day. He looked even more crazy.

Is that the Asian Elvis? Norwich has got an Asian guy dressed as Elvis.

We also have the statue man.

• Paid Members

Swansea has the man known as Teabag.

254687_234660826570137_8020077_a.jpg

Teabag (or as some know him, Tea Cosy Pete) is an institution on the streets of Swansea. To the untrained eye he is simply a man with a penchant for not washing and carrying binbags around. However, he is so much more than that.

1269670-vlarge.jpg

In some ways he is Swansea's Batman. In more ways he isn't. This is a man who, legend has it, is actually a multi millionaire that grew disillusioned with corporate life and in particular the insurance industry. Throwing off the shackles of his previous life, Teabag resolved to do something meaningful with his life and started walking the Swansea streets picking up litter and taking anything recyclable to the recycling centre. And not asking for any money for doing it.

The definative Teabag story is from several years ago on a dark, cold December evening...........

Despite the chill in the air, there was warmth and joy because it was the peak of office christmas party season. El Vino did flow and many found themselves very merry, particularly a chap who woke up the next morning to find that he no longer had his wallet. That meant he had no debit or credit card, no driving license and no

• Paid Members

Ivor Beynon:

Bit of a different angle on the subject. Ivor Beynon is a local music legend in the South Wales Valleys. he claimes to be an inspiration of Justin Hawkins but i don't know if there's any truth in that. When i was a young teen i would remember seeing Ivor's clapped out blue transit parked around the place with his name scratched into the paint, at that time he was playing guitar in a band, curiously named 'Ivor', he had a revolving door of members, all of which were around usually about 20 years younger than the man himself, they never went beyond the local gigging circuit. When Ivor dispanded the man repackaged himself as a one man metal machine known as the Lord of Steel and the legend was born. Ivor was pretty much a solo metal karaoke act, he used to turn up on random shows put in his tape, get in his costume and murder some of the greatest tunes in rock. Whilst he cleared many rooms it soon became apparent that if you just enjoyed it for what it was, Ivor was pretty f'n entertaining (a claim to fame of mine was being pulled on stage to do Born To Be Wild with Ivor in Merthyr).

Ivor even went on too make TV appearences! he auditioned for the X Factor and was a contestant on the Biz where he became a hotel entertainer in Spain (which didnt go down well). He roped in session musicians and put out an album of original material before retiring from the music business (thought rumors of a comeback have been ripe for years) Ivor now runs local tours and even recently ran for office in the local election!

I guess it really doesn't do it justice by talking about it, you've actually gotta see how bad Ivor was to appreciate his greatness. It's quite sad that he took alot of abuse and suffered complaints from people expecting a genuine nights entertainment because Ivor's a good guy, he's just slightly delusional about his musical ability. A man with a dream.

Ivor%20Beynon.jpg

Does he have shit on the market

Fuck yeah! Ivor's album is available (it's on ebay!) a few friends of mine have a copy (including forum member Silky Kisser). Word is that Ivor spent his entire redundancy money on producing the album which is abit worrying.

In action

(Official Music Video!)

Offici(al Music Video!)

(Official Music Video!)

(The Ivor story! - features a cameo from the famous blue transit)

LEGEND.

• Paid Members

Bishop Auckland legends:

Arnie Bond:

In his 60's possibly older/dead.

Wears 9 or 10 golden medallions around his neck, with a White string vest and an American bandanna.

Loads of White/bronzed tab stained facial hair, very dirty jeans with shit cheap trainers.

Famous for his look of dispare and everytime you go in to any pub, he is usually in there.

Kenny for a Penny:

Around 70, possibly dead.

Fucking stinks of piss, I mean, clearly a bath time public urinal kind of guy.

Very dirty dark red blazer jacket with black trousers and shoes.

Like Arnie, he rocks the was White, now dirty varnish hair piece.

Famous for walking around the town pissed and wobbly, stopping strangers and saying "here flower lend us 10 pence til next Tuesday son, go on pet, 15 pence til in a bit keka" (or similar).

Fable states that his parents were mega rich, but due to him being a boozer and gambler, they put a clause in their will which only allows him enough to get by on each week.

Legends of Newcastle:

Smokie joe:

This guy owns 'smokey joes' which is a shop near the fire station in the town centre. It's fucking rammed of electrical and musical instrument related items. It's a treasure chest of shite, including 70's gibsons.

Decks and synths balanced on top of each other much like jenga.

Problem is, he doesn't like customers, to the point that he chases them away from looking in the window at that awesome looking effects pedal or 80s Roland organ.

He is mental. My mate walked in the shop and the owner jumped out and shouted "what?". My mate said "I'm a musician and I noticed some amps in your window, I just wondered what you have?". The owner picked up a random black and decker power tool and said "get out, I'm fuckin fixing stuff, dont come back".

Mental!

Old man crombie/ captain Birdseye.

Old dude, looks like a down and out captain Birdseye, waddles around town handing out flyers for his jazz club. Now the jazz club in pink lane is a bloody cool place having played there. Problem is, he barely let's punters in. The door is always shut and you have to knock on it. He eventually opens it enough to pole his face out but is clearly disgruntled at the fact someone dares to want to have a drink and listen to some blues/jazz.

He generally looks at you and after a few seconds says 'no' and closes and locks the door behind him. I think it's possibly open for about an hour a week, pot luck as to when, regardless what the flyer states.

• Paid Members

The sad thing is the real characters in my town have since passed away including a guy called Stringy for his resemblence to Peter Stringfellow when he was really the spitting image of Ric Flair. Another was a local trader who sold items from his wheelchair and he has a flagstone memorial on the spot where he would set up shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

K2082B-13_crop.jpg

Mr Splash

He's dead now, but used to be a regular sight outside Woolworths or in Titchfield Park. Raised a lot of money for charities, but was largely a miserable, unsociable bastard, seemingly with a hatred of children.

BGT-S04E01-038.jpg

The bagpipe fella that went on Britain's Got Talent. Usually stands outside the Stockwell Gate entrance to the shopping centre, and is largely a miserable, unsociable bastard.

No pictures for these:

Titch

An old man standing about 5 foot nothing, usually wearing a tux, and can often be found in nightclubs dancing as if he's trying to balance on a skateboard. Usually surrounded by women. He's loved by most of us, as he's harmless, friendly, and is basically James Bond's dad. Not seen him for a while, so maybe his advanced years caught up with him.

The Terminator

Used to be a regular on the Friday night fun- pub scene, usually dressed in jeans, metal band T-shirt, leather jacket and sunglasses, hence the name. Has a sort of retarded, redneck look about him. Would often clear an area on the dancefloor so he could do cartwheels.

Definately still knocking around as I saw him recently.

Headphone Man

Probably doesn't stand out as much now that the Craig David look of big headphones is common, but for years this long haired, wild eyed berk has been wearing the big cans and marching through town in time to whatever music he's listening too. Occassionally he'll be singing along, loudly and out of tune.

Hulk Hogan

Standing a good 6'3 and a spitting image of The Hulkster (albeit with more hair on top), this guy wears slim fitting late 60's/early 70's brown suits and gold rimmed glasses with smoked lenses. Used to do some kind of catalogue market research for Littlewoods, so could be regularly seen on the high street, looking like he's travelled in time from a spy thriller. Often had kids shouting "Whatcha gonna dooooo?" at him.

Haven't seen much of him since the demise of Littlewoods, but he is still around.

Archived