UFC on FOX 4: 'Shogun vs Vera'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

-Kerry Vera is fucking fit.

Hahaha, yeah, on another board I used to have Kerry as my avatar. I don't know if you've ever seen it but there was a reality show called 'Fight Girls' in which she was a participant, and Brandon makes a cameo in that and visits the house where the girls are staying. Gina Carano is one of the coaches, and other cast members include Michelle Waterson and Felice Herrig.

Regarding Swick, I remember him primarily for just blitzing everyone when he first fought in the UFC (after checking his record, transpires he went 9-1 in his first 10 UFC fights), though much prefer the 'Put to Sleep Quick' nickname that was doing the rounds after the Paulo Thiago fight.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brandon Vera came across as a bigger star than he has any right to be in 2012.

yeh, that's the thing with Vera though. He was touted as 'the next big thing' because of his charisma just as much as his fighting style. When Vera was interviewed post fight back in the day he made people sit up and take notice, it's also the reason why his 205lb career has been so disappointing, his record aint even been that bad it's just he never became the superstar everyone expected him to be.

The Mir fight he talked and performed like the next big star. Mir was in okay shape for that one as well, it was not the obese mess that fought Pe De Pano and the bloke of TUF 2. That is still by far his most impressive performance and it was 6 years ago, he has not come close since.

I agree his expectations have given a lot to live up to, but his best win after 4 years and 8 fights at 205lbs is Krzysztof Soszynski in a tepid fight. As I said he did get some bad luck with judges, injuries and the PED mess with Silva, but still I think for any 4 year stint at 205lbs in the current climate his record is very weak.

I am a bit biased though as I did peg him to be a all time great after the Mir fight.

• Paid Members

Sorry to go off topic here, but theres something about Jim's sig that unsettles me. That picture of Hardy is just weird. His facial expression makes him look a right tool, it looks like it's a different person. Gormless fucker :)

Edit. Sig, not avatar.

• Paid Members
Brandon Vera came across as a bigger star than he has any right to be in 2012.

yeh, that's the thing with Vera though. He was touted as 'the next big thing' because of his charisma just as much as his fighting style. When Vera was interviewed post fight back in the day he made people sit up and take notice, it's also the reason why his 205lb career has been so disappointing, his record aint even been that bad it's just he never became the superstar everyone expected him to be.

The Mir fight he talked and performed like the next big star. Mir was in okay shape for that one as well, it was not the obese mess that fought Pe De Pano and the bloke of TUF 2. That is still by far his most impressive performance and it was 6 years ago, he has not come close since.

I agree his expectations have given a lot to live up to, but his best win after 4 years and 8 fights at 205lbs is Krzysztof Soszynski in a tepid fight. As I said he did get some bad luck with judges, injuries and the PED mess with Silva, but still I think for any 4 year stint at 205lbs in the current climate his record is very weak.

I am a bit biased though as I did peg him to be a all time great after the Mir fight.

i think Vera was one of the guys that showed how being a smaller fighter can be beneficial in the heavyweight division. He was killing guys until he ran into Tim Sylvia. Mir was the best guy he fought but he took care of a brace of heavyweights with ease. It was never gonna last cause someone was always gonna utilise their size against him but at 205 he's always just seemed to fit in rather than standout.

According to the Media call, the winner of the main event will be number 1 contender at 205.

really.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Who else is left?

Jones is fighting Henderson next, and he's already beaten Evans and Machida, hasn't he? Rua lost the title to Jones almost a year and a half ago, so he can realistically be considered a viable challenger.

Outside of the guys mentioned above we're left with Davis, Gustafsson, little Nog and Bader.

Shogun has lost 2 in a row, the second one was a close one and arguably the greatest fight in UFC history, but its still a loss.

Vera has won 1 in his last 4 against Eliot Marshall, a guy who is now cut from the UFC.

I know we live in a world where Machida and Rampage got title shots off 1 or 2 victories, but these guys even struggle with that.

Gustafsson, Little Nog and Bader are all much better options. If Bader wins convincingly against Machida, he should get the next shot over Shogun or Vera.

• Paid Members
Shogun has lost 2 in a row, the second one was a close one and arguably the greatest fight in UFC history, but its still a loss. Vera has won 1 in his last 4 against Eliot Marshall, a guy who is now cut from the UFC.

He beat Forrest Griffin before the Hendo fight. But I agree, it does seem a bit off. Like I said before, Shogun getting a title shot off one win over Brandon Vera doesn't seem right to me. And Vera getting a shot if he wins seems shit too.

But they really don't have many other options if Jones beats Hendo. If Shogun would deserve a shot then I think Machida would too. He won a round against Jones at least and has a style that at least seemed to bother him. A bit.

Shogun has lost 2 in a row,

You are forgetting the Forrest fight man. That was in between Jones and Hendo

Shogun is just about a acceptable option for the current climate, IF he wins convincingly. There is more reason for a Machida rematch if he won than any of the 4 if they win on Saturday, he at least won a round and rocked Jones at one point.

To be fair there are no good options, but even leaving it open that Vera may get title shot of he wins on Saturday is a bit silly. At the very least give Machida and as much as it pains me Bader the same chance, whoever looks best gets it.

Gustaffsen could be a real threat, but I would not like them to feed him to Jones now, he is still very young and has time to grow. He needs a few more fights and it is nice the UFC are not rushing him.

• Paid Members
-Kerry Vera is fucking fit.

Hahaha, yeah, on another board I used to have Kerry as my avatar. I don't know if you've ever seen it but there was a reality show called 'Fight Girls' in which she was a participant, and Brandon makes a cameo in that and visits the house where the girls are staying. Gina Carano is one of the coaches, and other cast members include Michelle Waterson and Felice Herrig.

Yeah I think they repeated that Fight Girls thing on Extreme Sports fairly recently. Never watched it but I knew Gina and Kerry were involved. Only seen Kerry fight Kim Couture. Just looked her record up and she hasn't fought since apparently. But yeah, she's fit.

What happened to Michelle Waterson? She was everywhere a couple of years back but don't hear much now. Again, fit.

edit - just looked up on Wiki, she took time off to have a baby. She won her first fight back in January.

Sorry to go off topic here, but theres something about Jim's sig that unsettles me. That picture of Hardy is just weird. His facial expression makes him look a right tool, it looks like it's a different person. Gormless fucker :)

Edit. Sig, not avatar.

Every time I see Jim's sig I keep expecting Jim Royle to pop up behind Hardy and tell him to "go and make a brew you lazy little get".

6227446_std.jpg

• Paid Members

150607ffathers_jpg_display.jpg

Bader probably has the best record out of the 4 going into these fights, it seems silly he is been passed over.

Yeah I don't think he has much chance against Machida but if he does win then he'd deserve the shot the most. I wouldn't be very interested in Jones vs Bader 2 but a 3 fight win streak including consecutive wins over Rampage and Machida would be better than the rest have managed.

• Paid Members

Ed Soares/Machida are calling for a coaching gig for TUF Brazil 2 opposite Shogun if they win on Saturday.

Obviously that's not likely with the 'winner gets a title shot' stuff flying about but I'd love to see that myself. Machida and Shogun as coaches and then the trilogy decider at the end. Would be good.

Archived