Raw thread 9th July

Slapnut

I can't say I've paid much attention to WWE recently outside of these threads - since I got rid of Sky Sports, I've largely been in a pattern of looking it up on youtube if it sounded ok and not bothering with it if it sounded shit. It does surprise me though how quickly it seems to have gone back to being shit after the stuff they did with Lesnar/Cena/Heyman/Triple H was some of the most exciting and interesting TV they've done in years.

Is it literally just the legit star power that the old names brought with them that made the WWE seem interesting again rather than any actual improvement in writing or booking? If so, it seems very worrying for them once Brock and Rock have fucked off again permanently and Taker & Triple H have packed in. Especially if Cena gets injured at any point. Can anyone envisage a point where CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus et al are big enough stars in their own right to keep an audience tuning in on a regular basis?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Can anyone envisage a point where CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus et al are big enough stars in their own right to keep an audience tuning in on a regular basis?

Not with the current booking. If the current crop were booked in a way that kept them strong in exciting engrossing long fueds with twists and turns and a satisfying payoff then I think so. They wouldn't create another boom period or anything but they would keep the business afloat.

But with the way things are currently going and with the looks of the guys coming up in FCW...fuck no.

The frustrating thing is that the current crop are talented enough to be major stars, but the booking throws them under the bus. I'm enjoying the Punk/Bryan/AJ thing, but it doesn't benefit Punk or Bryan in any way. It's starting to get more focus as a major storyline, but it's 80% AJ, 10% Punk and 10% Bryan. Imagine, if you will, Trish Stratus shoving Stone Cold and The Rock through a table? It would be fucking stupid and make them look like pussies, right?

The 1000th Raw will be great, due entirely to a bunch of guys not on the full time roster. Guaranteed that those guys (DX, Rock, Lesnar) will be presented as a big fucking deal. As Dusty Rhodes says, in pro wrestling, perception is reality.

The show looks shit, nothing at all I'd want to watch there. As bad as the Hornswoggle reveal was, at least it was a loose end that was addressed. Heath Slater vs. Raw legends has been a highlight of Raw for the past few weeks, and they picked the blandest "star" that no one born after 1990 remembers for anything other than being Kurt Angle's stooge. At least guys like Doink were memorable in their Raw time. Backlund just seems like a product of another era, and lacks the fun factor of the other legends.

And why the hell hasn't Raw's MITB been increased? Mysterio and Miz should be in that match, even if Rey can only manage one high spot. A 4 man MITB ladder match looks ridiculous, especially when two of those guys are Kane and Big Show.

The frustrating thing is that the current crop are talented enough to be major stars, but the booking throws them under the bus. I'm enjoying the Punk/Bryan/AJ thing, but it doesn't benefit Punk or Bryan in any way. It's starting to get more focus as a major storyline, but it's 80% AJ, 10% Punk and 10% Bryan. Imagine, if you will, Trish Stratus shoving Stone Cold and The Rock through a table? It would be fucking stupid and make them look like pussies, right?

The 1000th Raw will be great, due entirely to a bunch of guys not on the full time roster. Guaranteed that those guys (DX, Rock, Lesnar) will be presented as a big fucking deal. As Dusty Rhodes says, in pro wrestling, perception is reality.

The show looks shit, nothing at all I'd want to watch there. As bad as the Hornswoggle reveal was, at least it was a loose end that was addressed. Heath Slater vs. Raw legends has been a highlight of Raw for the past few weeks, and they picked the blandest "star" that no one born after 1990 remembers for anything other than being Kurt Angle's stooge. At least guys like Doink were memorable in their Raw time. Backlund just seems like a product of another era, and lacks the fun factor of the other legends.

And why the hell hasn't Raw's MITB been increased? Mysterio and Miz should be in that match, even if Rey can only manage one high spot. A 4 man MITB ladder match looks ridiculous, especially when two of those guys are Kane and Big Show.

One thing that was annoying me is why is Kane now a face? and why was he teaming with Cena after all that Embrace the hate storyline and the AA off the Ambulance. First time ive watched a show through in some time.

Oh God, Lister, why remind me of that? :( I think I jinxed Raw, honestly. I mentioned last week how I was starting to enjoy things again (mind you, my earlier complaints were still valid), and now we get a show like this.

There's enough stuff happening in two weeks time to stretch the 3 hours out, but I shudder to think of how it'll be when Raw goes that length weekly. One thing that might help some weeks is whenever Lesnar is on the show, maximise his usage by having a "Lesnar Smashing Hour" where he stands in the ring for a hour and runs the gauntlet of jobbers and Superstars/NXT wrestlers.

Great reveal with Hornswoggle. The Anonymous GM, when he was around, was so erratic with decisions, had biases for faces one minute and heels the next, and generally behaved like some autistic child half the time.

So, pretty much the character Hornswoggle's had. Good, logical booking.

Shite talk. The angle was God-awful. Piss poor booking.

Needed another hour.

They can just get AJ to cut a 10 minute promo, she takes so long between lines it will last an hour.

Worst part of this Raw was when Bryan said he decided that morning he was gonna propose to someone that he didn't swerve AJ and propose to CM Punk. That would of been far more enjoyable.

Raw was shite again. I've had my fill of pointless, meaningless tag matches. WWE's writers dont seem to be able to come up with much else at the moment, with the exception of Cole v Lawler of course.

RAW in 5 minutes from the usual brilliant YouTube Channel.

http://youtu.be/dKGA_DXb-wU

(Includes other company spoilers ;))

I love this guy, cheered me right up. his Smackdown one from last week was great featuring a wrestling related - Team America "Fuck Yeah" bit. Top notch.

Yeah he does some brilliant work doesn't he?

I ignore the WWE shows and just watch the recap, much better :D

Archived