On their last legs ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It was always weird to see a guy that was once on top become shit when i was a kid. I could never quite get my head around why they started to suck all of a sudden.

It's a weird one but one of the most anticipated matches i ever saw was the Bulldog/Warlord match at Wrestlemania VII, i remember having chats with friends about who would win, both had the same finisher and it really was a case of who would hit it first (to me), when the match ended up being a glorified squash i couldn't fucking

believe it, i thought it was going to be the most epic battle of all time. How could the Warlord lose so easily?

bulldog-warlord.jpg

You could put the Warlord in this category too, how long did he stick around after wearing the metal armour garb?

Wrestling was so much better when you didn't really understand was going on.

• Paid Members

As for Davey himself, when he came back to the WWF in 1999 and started wrestling in a pair of jeans instead of his familiar Union Jack attire and they changed his theme tune to a generic rock tune, you knew he was on his last legs then. I remember thinking that it looked rubbish that he didn't have a proper kit. That run only lasted eight months.

Vito (the wrestler not the poster) wearing a dress. His days were seriously numbered after that.

Wasn't that one of the hotter periods of his career?

I mean that in several ways...

Haha yeah, good live crowd reactions (could never understand it personally, I was on JBL's side at the time), but the nature of the gimmick meant he could never have a serious feud, no mileage really, there's only so many variations on "macho heel takes umbrage to man wearing a dress" you can do.

As for Davey himself, when he came back to the WWF in 1999 and started wrestling in a pair of jeans instead of his familiar Union Jack attire and they changed his theme tune to a generic rock tune, you knew he was on his last legs then. I remember thinking that it looked rubbish that he didn't have a proper kit. That run only lasted eight months.

I've been watching Nitro's from 1997-1998 at the moment and it really isn't the WWF return that put Davey on his last legs, it's the WCW run, so far I haven't seen one remotely decent outing from him and I'm in September 98 right now, so both him and the Anvil have been there a year, you know when Niedhart is having a better run of matches than you, then you're kind of boned really.

Seriously youtube a few Davey Boy Smith WCW 1998 matches and tell me that's the same guy who gave us some quality matches up north.

As for Davey himself, when he came back to the WWF in 1999 and started wrestling in a pair of jeans instead of his familiar Union Jack attire and they changed his theme tune to a generic rock tune, you knew he was on his last legs then.

Didn't he come out to a funky remix of Rule Britannia on that run?

• Paid Members
As for Davey himself, when he came back to the WWF in 1999 and started wrestling in a pair of jeans instead of his familiar Union Jack attire and they changed his theme tune to a generic rock tune, you knew he was on his last legs then.

Didn't he come out to a funky remix of Rule Britannia on that run?

Originally, then they changed it to a shitty generic rock theme with dog bark sound effects at the start.

He was truly on his last legs when he beat Crash Holly for the Hardcore title in the UK. The eyes of a dead man walking.

Here's another one (sorry for the rubbish picture)

Mr Perfect and 'Boss Man'

bssmn.jpg

Two legends of the ring reduced to jobbing in a quick tag team squash. Bossman had stopped wearing his full flack outfit and had dropped the 'Big' from his name. Sad times.

Speaking or Perfect, what about his appearance at Summerslam 91? He'd cut his hair and was pretty much set on retirement. Just looks weird.

Another one is Ted Dibiase at Summerslam 93. Ok, he doesn't LOOK like he's on his last legs, but him wrestling in singles on PPV for the first time since Summerslam 91 just seemed like a total anachronism.

You also knew that Bull Buchanan wasn't long for employment after his display in the 2003 (I think) Royal Rumble.

• Paid Members
Yeah what did happen with Perfect - he got that massive pay out from Lloyds of London and retired. How was he able to come back without getting sued?

I think WWF actually notified Lloyds to tell them Hennig was back in 1996 and they cancelled a payout he was to receive. Possibly why he left WWF in 1996.

• Paid Members
i remember having chats with friends about who would win, both had the same finisher and it really was a case of who would hit it first (to me),

Did none of you have Sky then? Baldy had been beating jobbers with the Full Nelson since the turn of the year. They had him stop using the running powerslam as a finish near enough the second that Davey was back on TV.

when the match ended up being a glorified squash i couldn't fucking

believe it, i thought it was going to be the most epic battle of all time. How could the Warlord lose so easily?

I think you're being a bit harsh on Warload. I thought it was a decent tussle. The only time I ever thought it was a squash was the bastardized cut that made the home video release.

You could put the Warlord in this category too, how long did he stick around after wearing the metal armour garb?

Nearly two years, summer 1990 - spring 1992 in various armour costumes, between the original black panels with chains garb, to the all black fetish gear pictured which he stuck with. And his pointy W stick, ouch.

Wrestling was so much better when you didn't really understand was going on.

In that case there are plenty of posters on here for whom wrestling is still better!

there's only so many variations on "macho heel takes umbrage to man wearing a dress" you can do.

Could have had a bash at "chickenshit heel is terrified of man wearing a dress."

saturnjericho.jpg

Another one is Ted Dibiase at Summerslam 93. Ok, he doesn't LOOK like he's on his last legs, but him wrestling in singles on PPV for the first time since Summerslam 91 just seemed like a total anachronism.

Money Inc had run its course, and Teddy and Razor had a legitimate reason to bang heads in singles. I don't really think it was that strange. Kudos on using "anachronism" though.

Possibly why he left WWF in 1996.

Precisely why. He took issue with the WWF taking it upon themselves to speak to Lloyds. Not their place at all, it's the policyholders obligation to disclose material facts and changes of circumstance to the insurer, not interested third parties.

• Paid Members

when the match ended up being a glorified squash i couldn't fucking

I think you're being a bit harsh on Warload. I thought it was a decent tussle. The only time I ever thought it was a squash was the bastardized cut that made the home video release.

what happened there then?

maybe my memory is hazy, i don't actually think ive seen that match since it happened, i just remember being really bummed out about it at the time :laugh:

Archived