Here's a few...

Jacques Rougeau: Royal Rumble 1990

tve75441-19900121-1877.jpg

He turned up with a beard FFS.

Smash - Demolition's Final Match

smash.jpg

I think that trumps the Smash pic from the opening post :laugh:

Repo Man's White Costume and Full Mask

Remember that? So rare I can't even find a picture of it.

Blake Beverly

blake_beverly.jpg

Beau Beverly was long gone and Blake would wrestle either as one half of a 'Currently in the ring' jobber tag team or would work as Smash-esque enhancment talent.

By the Summerslam Showdown in 1993 he'd got a new outfit (which is often the sign of someone away to leave oddly enough) had shaved off his tache and had put on weight.

Dino Bravo - Wrestlemania VII

bravo.jpg

This was - I think - his final night before leaving the company. I know he was on the European Tour in 1992, but you could tell here he was on his way out. He's stopped dying his hair, put on weight and looked fairly nonplussed.

Hercules (vs Sid in 1992)

herc.jpg

All of a sudden Herc was playing a face role, was going a bit grey, had his old theme back and was jobbing to Sid in under a minute. And he barely even sold the Powerbomb. Best bit was his 'fuck taking this move' brace position he assumed while taking it.

Rick Martel 1993

model.jpg

He came back with a new look later in the year, but in March, Rick Martel had no direction, go feuds and the only thing 'interesting' about him was that he's wear different outfits to the ring every week. In this match against Mr Perfect he even lost during the commercial break.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marty Jannetty - Survivor Series 96

image.jpg

His teammates are all taking the time to growl and gurn at the fans as good heels of the era would do. Jannetty - who by this time couldn't give a shit - was just smiling and joking with his mates in the audience. He was also looking pretty bad with no knee or elbow pads or tassles and he even managed to injure himself during the match.

Did we not have this just a few months ago - "there's the door mate" or something?

Hindsight's a wonderful thing for a thread like this, I wouldn't have guessed any of them at the time as a kid. Even the ones which seem obvious now.

It's always interesting though, noticing the little differences, tales of baby blue gear and all that...

• Paid Members

Ultimate Warrior having shit short hair after his return in 1992. He didn't look or feel the same, and you just knew it wasn't going to be a long term thing. I can't believe how differently I felt about the Warrior because of little things like that. Also, his face paint was different, especially the inner part. He just looked much shitter. And don't forget the god-awful singlets.

Below is a pic of him during this era, followed by how he looked in all his glory:

7ef3bdd34f7b5eac07a5d7dc6b3c6412.jpg

UltimateWarrior008.jpg

• Paid Members

Can't find a good photo but Luger at SuperBrawl II (last match before leaving) fits this in a weird way. It's not that he looks bad, rather that he is absolutely jacked to the eyeballs in a way that -- in the kayfabe universe -- nobody would possibly do if they were having to compete in an athletic event that involved movement.

If I remember rightly, WCW had messed up by using up dates on his contract so he'd been gone for two months, brought back only to drop the belt, and was busy preparing for a run in the WBF.

He then absolutely half-asses the match to the point that, watching it around the time in full mark mode, I could tell he "wasn't really bothering to try to win."

That time when Rick Martel won the battle royal with Razor, I remember thinking I hadn't seen him for about a year before that. I don't remember him at all after that, either. But looking back, I can't think of anything specific involving The Model besides that Intercontinental stuff with Razor and the feud with Jake.

Archived