The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I think a big part of the problem with MMA in the UK is the media perception of it. It's never MMA always cage fighting in the press, they try to taint it as this hugely unregulated human cockfighting spectacle. It's not helped by the fact that there are promoters out there who do shows where they let untrained drunk guys picked from the crowd put on headgear, gloves and kickpads to fight for 5 minutes. Boxing is starting to go to shit though, with half a dozen governing bodies out there and guys who fight in 3 or 4 different weight classes being their respective champions. This is where UFC could come in and start dominating with the way it sells itself to the public as a legit sport, it's growing in popularity, but they do need to try to pander to the mainstream press more and more. Though MMA needs to regulated in every American state first before that can happen, the fact the bill to regulate it in New York is such a massive thing says it all. It's always going to be difficult to try and change people's perceptions of the sport and I do think that Dana sometimes doesn't help with some of the shit he says.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well said Rey.

Another thing which I think holds MMA back over here is promoters like Dave O'Donnell. UCMMA is a decent promotion and they're on Sky so they reach a lot of people. But you've got a promoter who looks like a plastic gangster off Eastenders, there screaming his tits off about 'Facking Tearups' and 'Proppa 'Ard Geezahs' until he goes purple. It just makes MMA look really tacky and amateur in my opinion.

O'Donnell must be a decent promoter, he had a great run with Cage Rage and like I say, UCMMA puts on some good fights. But I really think UCMMA, and more importantly the perception of MMA, would be better off if he did his work behind the scenes as oppose to being such a public face.

Just my opinion though.

UCMMA does not get promoted on SKY (thankfully) if it was not on, no one would notice.

I did not know it was on until the other week when I flicked it on under the listing "Cage Fighter" and saw Chrome Dome Dickhead spouting shit.

I have to say O'Donnel must be a good communicator or persuader, he does have a lot of connections and sway about him to get on SKY and to continue to be a large part in the British MMA scene, despite Cage Rage and some of the debacles they pulled of. I heard rumblings that SKY were done with him after Paul Daley said "cunt" on a live show and ratings dropping off. I take it his strong connections Stateside have gone for birdy as well, to think he once promoted Anderson Silva!

As is kinda said above I would not want his product to get promotion, the way he promotes MMA is counter productive, he is still stuck in his Kray Twins cockney villain scene he promoted with Cage Rage. As MMA wants to be promoted as a sport, this is not the image they want, it makes it look like toughman with goons rather than a sport with professional athletes.

O'Donnel could be a nice guy and mean well, but I do not agree with his approach to the sport one bit. I have heard he promoted fixed fights as well with Dave Legano twice and the last Alex Reid fight (fixed fights in MMA is never on, but with advent of Youtube and the Internet it is borderline stupid). I will try and watch BAMMA on Channel 5 so I can have a opinion on them.

Has anyone ever joined the UFC Fight Club?

Thinking of doing it to get the Q+A in Nottingham, and i just wondered how it works.

The blurb on the UFC site says we get a free tshirt, DVD etc, do we still get this living in the UK?

At the actual shows, do you have a card to gain access to the members only events?

What else do you get that makes it worthwhile?

Has anyone ever joined the UFC Fight Club?

Thinking of doing it to get the Q+A in Nottingham, and i just wondered how it works.

The blurb on the UFC site says we get a free tshirt, DVD etc, do we still get this living in the UK?

At the actual shows, do you have a card to gain access to the members only events?

What else do you get that makes it worthwhile?

You still get all the stuff sent from America for joining. You join a queue before the weigh Ins and get a band. this gets you into the q and a, and priority seats for the weigh in. You also usually get a free massive poster.

The best perk in my opinion is the fight club party after the weigh Ins because there will always be one or 2 fighters that drop by to chat to and have a photo with. Some of the UK ones have had fighters like Chuck, bj, Dan hardy, bisping etc, so its not just nobodys turning up. I would say it was easily worth it when a membership would cover you for 2 or 3 events, but now it will only cover you for one with the rate UFC are in the UK now.

This is for Wandshogun's benefit (along with every male populating Earth), a sneak pic from the upcoming Strikeforce promo for Ronda Rousey vs. Sarah Kaufman - I give you Miss Rousey:

480818_10151052806289382_2001250053_n.jpg

What an odd promo this looks to be - still, can't wait for that fight.

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever joined the UFC Fight Club? Thinking of doing it to get the Q+A in Nottingham, and i just wondered how it works. The blurb on the UFC site says we get a free tshirt, DVD etc, do we still get this living in the UK? At the actual shows, do you have a card to gain access to the members only events?What else do you get that makes it worthwhile?

i joined it pre-UFC 70, didn't get anything free then other than a welcome pack thing. Only joined it to guarantee tickets for the show which sold out pretty quick. Never renewed my membership though. Guess it's changed since then.If you're planning on going to the Q+A and Weigh-In's though it's worth joining so you're guaranteed entry and get the priority seats cause them things are great, i attended them in London in for UFC 120 and it's a great experience (didn't need a Fight Club memembership for that due to it being the Expo).

• Paid Members

So, Overeem is apparently claiming JDS wants no part of him but is (convieniently?) out til December, he'll be back for the NYE card. How do we think the HW division looks currently? Does The Reem get the winner of JDS/Cain? Personally, I think Werdum is up there at the moment & should only be a good win away from the title frame.

So, Overeem is apparently claiming JDS wants no part of him but is (convieniently?) out til December, he'll be back for the NYE card. How do we think the HW division looks currently? Does The Reem get the winner of JDS/Cain? Personally, I think Werdum is up there at the moment & should only be a good win away from the title frame.

They can play it several ways.They could do Werdum vs Overeem 3 for the next title shot, but with how boring the last fight was they may decide against it.They could give Werdum the winner of Cain vs JDS and let Overeem face Struve or someone to get the next shot after that. Or even do it the other way round and have Werdum have another tune up and give Overeem the winner.I think its between these 4 for the next year in the title picture. I hope JDS comes out of it with the belt, but Cain is a fucking beast. Overeem I still feel is fairly untested, Werdum has improved but I am not sure it is enough for him to trouble the rest who he does not matchup will with style wise.I think the winner of JDS/Cain will keep the belt for a while. Both are ahead of the pack.

• Paid Members

Is there even a date set for Cain vs JDS? I thought it was originally slated for UFC 152 in September but I believe it was moved back? If they're not going to fight til' at least October I'd put Werdum vs Struve (if he wins in Notts) & put Overeem against Carwin on the NYE show which if Reem wins he gets the winner of Cain & JDS.

Archived