The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

If Walker beats a Gusty next then he's locked in to get the shot after.

Gustafsson’s fighting Anthony Smith next though. 

I don’t know what happens with Walker next. Thiago Santos seems close to a lock as Jones’ next defence from bits I’ve read. And I’ve got a feeling that happens on the big July PPV. If that’s the case then the winner (let’s face it, it’s Jones isn’t it?) probably won’t defend the title until October or November time. So Walker is either going to have sit out most of the year or take another fight in the meantime. I think he’ll end up fighting. Maybe they do Walker vs Corey Anderson actually. Or Walker vs Shogun or the Teixeira/Cutelaba winner or something. Maybe even stick it on the Jones vs Santos undercard so Walker can serve as the backup if something goes wrong. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's an interesting position the UFC find themselves in with the LHW division. You have four guys who could challenge Jon Jones in their next fight. Thiago Santos who is getting the next shot, is one of them. Dominick Reyes, who has to get past Volkan who he is booked against next week is another. If he wins, then he's a viable opponent. Corey Anderson as mentioned could also challenge, as well as Johnny fucking Walker, obviously. The UFC should either keep them all apart, have them right other guys in their next fight and see who wins most impressively, and the. Give that man the shot. Or else they should pair them off and see who eliminates the other from contention. Personally, in the UFC's position I'd do the following with what is already on the table:

March: Reyes Vs Volkan (and hope Reyes wins)

April: Glover Vs Cutelaba (happy with either result)

June: Gusty Vs Smith, I'd book Anderson Vs Reyes on the PPV this month. Winner gets the Autumn title shot if Walker loses his next fight. 

June/July: Jones Vs Santos 

Walker underneath Vs Glover/Cutelaba winner as Wand mentioned. 

Sept/Oct: Jones Vs Walker, should both come through. If Walker loses in the summer before getting Jones, then you switch to Glover or Cutelaba for the shot, and try to rehab Walker by putting him in the mix with guys coming off loses but that haven't been beaten by Jones already/recently. 

The winner of Anderson and Reyes (if he beats Volkan) is next in line December/January time. 

It could all go Pete tong, having Walker fight again, but I think the extra exposure and cage time could help him even more. Even though we want Walker to get the shot, Glover or Cutelaba knocking him off If it's to happen, is more palatable than Beastin' doing it. 

I don't expect Walker to sit out all year, nor do I expect any of the guys above to fight as regularly as I've outlined above. That's kind of why I think Walker should fight again, because chances are that after the summer, Jones either fights at HW or he doesn't fight again until Dec/January. Fighting regularly seems to be key to being kept in mind for a title fight, not just having the wins in a row, but them being sporadic. 

• Paid Members

Kamaru Usman is after undergoing surgery for a double hernia. Firstly, I hope he makes a good recovery and gets through it ok as that's not a pleasant experience whatsoever. Secondly, and this could be pre-mature as I don't know when the injury happened, but if Usman was able to maul Woodley with a broken foot and his intestines poking out of his belly in two places, then somebody is going to need to keep an eye on poor T-Wood, as I'm afraid of him hurting himself after hearing that news. 

In other surgery news, I heard on the Observer Radio show this morning that Luke Rockhold is planning to come back from minor knee surgery around June, and is hoping to get on the Chicago PPV against . . ."Corey Alexander". Now I have no idea who Corey Alexander is, but I'm assuming they meant Corey Anderson. If that fight happens then it's now a lot clearer to me what you do next. 

Anderson Vs Rockhold - June

Jones Vs Santos - July

Anderson/Rockhold winner Vs Jones/Santos winner - Autumn. 

Come on Al, you can't give Rockhold a title shot after a win over Corey fucking Anderson! Especially when that would be his first fight in the division. 

What has he done to warrant cutting the line? Who has he beaten? David Branch? Chris Weidman four years ago almost?

If Rockhold wins then throw him in there with Johnny Walker and see how he gets on. That would be a proper test for the Walker, wouldn't it?

• Paid Members

Yeah, Luke Knockedcold hasn’t done much at 185 lately, let alone at 205 where he’s done sod all. 

Although saying that, I wouldn’t be against it just so we get to see Jones chuck him about. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, David said:

Come on Al, you can't give Rockhold a title shot after a win over Corey fucking Anderson! Especially when that would be his first fight in the division. 

What has he done to warrant cutting the line? Who has he beaten? David Branch? Chris Weidman four years ago almost?

If Rockhold wins then throw him in there with Johnny Walker and see how he gets on. That would be a proper test for the Walker, wouldn't it?

He doesn't warrant it at all on his form lately Dave, you're totally right. I just imagine it's the way the UFC will go with it. Handsome Luke being one of DC's boys, a former champion with some name value, stepping up a division to take on Jones in a "we didn't think we'd ever see this dream fight" scenario.

Rockhold has been dreadfully injury prone for a while now, and I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on him making it to the cage on a regular basis, so that's part of the reason I think it'll be their next step as well. He was expected to fight Gustafsson a while back, with the winner fighting Jones. I'm guessing this is a similar scenario, just with Boring Corey in place of Gusty. 

I'm not totally convinced he'd beat Anderson anyway, he'd probably be the favourite but Anderson is on a good run of form at the moment, and Rockhold has been a bit MIA. If he did win however, then it would allow the possibility of some of these younger, emerging talents in the division to have a bit more seasoning before they have to get positioned against Jones for a pasting. 

On the same train of thought as Wand above, as fans, there are no losers in getting to watch Jones and Rockhold make each other less pretty. 

Rockhold is a smug so and so. But I have a soft spot for him. Mainly because I used to rate him very highly as a fighter. The wins over Machida and Weidman were top-draw. The Branch win decent as well. But the KO losses and the injuries have taken a lot of shine off him. He's also struggled to cut down to 185lbs. It thus makes sense for him to rebuild at 205lbs

I think he's going to do very well. If you are a decent talent, it's relatively easy to step up to the shallow light-heavyweight and heavyweight classes and become a player.  Thiago Santos was an also-ran at 185lbs. He was soundly beaten by Moose and got stopped in the first round by Branch. Yet, he's quickly become a player at 205lbs with 3 consecutive wins. Two of which have come against top 10 opposition. Anthony Smith was the same. You would think that Rockhold eclipses those two. 

Rockhold isn't a Jones-beater. But I would pick him to beat anyone else at 205lbs. Barring Gusty and perhaps Walker. 

• Paid Members

Something interesting about Rockhold: his four losses are all KOs, and out of his 16 matches, only two have ever gone to points. Normally I'd guess this might mean he has a suspect chin, but two of his KO losses were to TRT Belfort and Yoel Romero, and one was to a pretty sweet shot from Bisping, so I don't know what it tells us, other than he's not used to going the distance.

The Matt Hughes story gets even worse. I have a feeling that this is going to end in tears.

UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is suing his twin brother over ownership of the farming equipment that spurred a restraining order against him.

Hughes wants a judge to decide who owns the equipment and other personal property he claims is being held at Mark Hughes’ residence. No monetary damages are named in the suit – Hughes vs. Hughes – filed on March 5 in Montogmery County (Ill.) circuit court.

As MMA Junkie previously reported, a John Deere 8410 tractor was at the center of a restraining order filed this past October by Mark Hughes against his brother. According to a written statement attached to the order, obtained by MMA Junkie, Mark Hughes said his 15-year-old son, Marshall, was riding down a country road on Sept. 23, 2018, when Matt “pulled his vehicle crossways in the road causing my son to have to bring the tractor quickly to a stop.

“Matt approached the tractor and when my son got out of the tractor to ask his uncle what he needed, Matt physically assaulted my 15-year-old son by grabbing him and shaking him, all the while telling him that it’s his (expletive) tractor.”

Mark Hughes wrote that a nearby woman came to his son’s aid, and Matt Hughes left the scene.

One week later on Sept. 30, Mark Hughes arrived at one of his farming fields to discover his brother’s truck backed up to the tractor and gasoline poured on its fuel tank and on the ground. He said Matt had fled to his house and was talking to his wife.

“While I am not sure if my brother’s intent was to burn the tractor, merely running a diesel engine with gasoline in the tank will destroy the engine,” he wrote. “I called my wife Emily and asked her to keep my brother at our house until I got there.

“When I got home, I met my brother in my driveway. While he denied everything, he had two empty five-gallon buckets in the back of his truck. The buckets smelled of gasoline. One of the buckets had the lid missing, and I later found the lid laying next to the tractor.”

Mark Hughes wrote his brother believes he has an ownership interest in the vehicle, which the tractor in question “has at all relevant times been in my exclusive possession and control.”

Two months after Mark Hughes filed the restraining order, Matt Hughes’ wife Audra Hughes filed her own, alleging the ex-UFC welterweight champion abused her on multiple occasions. Matt Hughes has denied her claims, saying family members are trying to cut him out of their lives because he is a burden to them after suffering a brain injury in a truck accident.

This past month, Matt Hughes filed for divorce, claiming irreconcilable differences. A judge extended the protection order against him, forcing him to stay 500 feet away from his estranged wife and their two children.

"On Feb. 19, police conducted a welfare check on Tony Ferguson after he made unknown threats, and his wife and son left their house, according to a separate police report. Police spoke to an unidentified female who stated Tony Ferguson had “not slept for three days and was tearing apart the home” and “broke apart the fire place and believed someone placed a (computer) chip in his leg.” 

Christ. Stop being dicks, MMA fighters. You're tarnishing the reputation of fine fellows who like to enter a cage and smash the shit out of someone for a living.

• Paid Members

The more stuff that comes out about MMA fighters, the more I'm dreading the emergence of news about GSP or JDS having done something abhorrent. Fingers crossed he hasn't done anything.

Archived