The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like it's the month of restraining orders...

Ā 

A Florida woman who was involved in a casual relationship withĀ Anthony JohnsonĀ filed a restraining order against the retired UFC fighter this past August.

The woman filed the order, a temporary injunction, because there was ā€œan immediate present danger of dating violence,ā€ her attorney, Robyn Barrett, told MMA Junkie.

Johnsonā€™s attorney, Scott B. Saul, said Johnson is accused of online stalking, making threats and posting intimate images of the woman, whose name MMA Junkie is withholding. Saul said the order was filed after the two dated briefly and continued to exchange messages on social media.

ā€œHeā€™s saying Iā€™m going to go get my gun, and her interpretation was (the message was) aimed at her,ā€ Saul said. ā€œHis position was somebody on social media was stalking him, and he was saying it in reference to the person bothering him and not her. Thatā€™s his position, and also I believe he may have posted a picture of her performing something intimate on him. But it all had to do with social media postings.ā€

This past month, the order was extended for one year, after which the woman will ā€œevaluate whether she is still in fear of the defendant and whether extending the injunction is reasonable at that time,ā€ Barrett said in a statement.

Johnson is required to stay away from the woman until Feb. 6, 2020, or he could be held in contempt of court. Multiple attempts to reach Johnson for comment were unsuccessful.

ā€œThere were no findings of fact, nobody testified, and there was no ruling,ā€ Saul said. ā€œIt was just the parties saying, listen, these people barely know each other ā€“ what do we need to litigate? Letā€™s just revisit this in one year, and if thereā€™s not a problem, you donā€™t need an injunction because thereā€™s no imminent threat to anybody.ā€

Johnson has a history of allegations involving domestic violence. In 2009, the two-time UFC title challenger pleaded no-contest to a domestic violence charge after he forcefully entered his ex-girlfriendā€™s house and slammed her to the ground, leaving her with multiple injuries. Johnson denied getting physical in a May 2015 interview withĀ ESPN.com. He attributed the incident to a passionate argument and said he remained friends with the woman.

In September 2014, Johnsonā€™s UFC career was temporarily halted when a different woman claiming to be the mother of his two children filed a police report alleging she received death threats from Johnsonā€™s friends and that he had struck her andĀ knocked out two of her teethĀ in 2012. The woman also filed a restraining order, but two months later voluntarily withdrew it. Johnson was cleared to compete.

In January 2015, however, that woman filed another stalking claim. According to ESPN.com, she accused Johnson of calling her repeatedly and sending threatening emails. Johnson claimed in court that the emails were fabricated. The case was voluntarily dismissed in March.

That same month, another ex-girlfriend of Johnsonā€™sĀ told police he had shown up unannounced at the taekwondo studioĀ where she worked. He allegedly grabbed her shirt behind the neck, lifted her up from the chair by her shirt and grabbed her right arm, causing bruising and scratches. She said Johnson didnā€™t leave until police arrived and had visited the studio 15 times before getting physical. She declined to press charges, and Johnson denied the womanā€™s account, saying ā€œwe talk everyday and (are) great friends.ā€

Johnson, who retired from competition after a second failed bid for the UFC light heavyweight title in April 2017, recently sparked headlines when he signed a promotional deal with the Bare Knuckle FC promotion. He denied rumors of a comeback to fight, but in an interview this week said he would return to the cage if current 205-pound championĀ Jon Jones moved up to heavyweight.

Ā 

An exciting fighter to watch, but in all honesty Rumble is a fighter that I never tire of watching lose. An absolute dirtbag of a guy by all accounts.

• Paid Members

Yeah exciting fighter but heā€™s a massive cunt. I knew there were domestic violence accusations in his past but didnā€™t realise thereā€™d been so many different cases. There was also a thing where he madeĀ some pretty vile post on TwitterĀ or Facebook ripping into some woman at his gym over a disagreement they had at the gym. A minor thing but he made a point of going out of his way to have a go at her publicly and used proper immature insults about her appearance. It wasnā€™t anywhere near as bad as the stuff mentioned above but there was just no need for it.Ā Heā€™s a fucking dick.Ā Iā€™m glad he choked (sometimes literally) nearly every time he got the big fight. Typical bully mentality in the cage and it seems heā€™sĀ the same out of it as well. Anthony ā€˜Crumbleā€™ Johnson.Ā 

Getting back to this BJ Penn fight with Clay Guida, what the fuck are the UFC thinking? Seriously?

BJ Penn is 1-8-1 in his last ten fights. His last win was over Matt Hughes in 2010 for Christ's sake, and that was coming off the two losses to Edgar, and he then went on to draw with the GOAT in a stunning upset, and then lose six straight.

He doesn't belong in the cage today.

• Paid Members

Yeh, its not good. The sad thing is Penn is not even competitive in these fights, he's just being outclassed and almost embarrased out there.Ā 

Its worse for me than the Chuck Liddell's UFCĀ situation. When Chuck was on that slide he still actually looked pretty good, it was just his chin and punch resistance letting him down. Similar with guys like Shogun, he's clearly not what he was and is taking punishment that as a fan it can be hard to watch, but hes still competitive to a certain level.

BJ Penn is just getting beaten everywhere and has seemingly been stripped of his skills, i dont think he's even been competive since the first rounds of the Jon Fitch fight which was 8 years ago. The Ryan Hall fight i thought was perfect for him but it ended up being disastrous. Now they've bunged him in with a relentless grinder who'll likely take Penn down and beat on him for 3 rounds.

• Paid Members

Penn was actually competitive in the Nick Diaz fight early on. People forget because the memorable moments of that one are of Diaz pummelling his face into raw hamburger in rounds 2 and 3 but Penn was making a good fight of it early. He was also sort of competitive in the Dennis Siver fight in 2017,Ā think he even dropped Siver at one point. ButĀ that didnā€™t tell us much as Siver was coming off a USADA suspension, 2 years of inactivity and 2 losses himself. Penn still looked shite, but he was competitive, mainly due to Siver looking pretty done himself. Siver hasnā€™t fought since.Ā 

But yeah, itā€™s all meaningless. He shouldā€™ve retired years ago. I remember after that Diaz fight he was hinting at it in his post-fight interview, saying something like ā€˜I donā€™t know anymore, Joe. Iā€™ve got a little girl now. I canā€™t go home looking like this.ā€™ That was 2011. Looking back that wouldā€™ve been the time for him to walk away. It hadnā€™t gotten mega sad yet and he hadnā€™t long knocked out Hughes and drew with Fitch. Retiring after a good fight with Diaz wouldnā€™t have been the worst way to go out. But he carried on and carried on. The Rory beating was the first one that was really hard toĀ watch forĀ me. Then the third Edgar loss was just the worst. That was about as depressing a fight as Iā€™ve ever seen. He actually did retire after that one and seemed genuine about it at the press conference, was crying and all sorts. But since then weā€™ve had the Yair, Siver and Hall losses.Ā 

I agree with Egg. Itā€™s worse than Chuck at the end orĀ Shogun now. Or Matt Hughes at the end of his career. Those guys are/were competitive and looked fairly good on the offence. It was just their defence, chin etc that had diminished. Penn is in that Rashad Evans category where he actually looks the part physically but heā€™s just shot. The timing, reflexes, ability to pull the trigger, aggression, explosion, itā€™s all gone. Bigfoot might be the worst case as he was both kinds of shot. Timing, reflexes, trigger pulling = all non-existent, PLUSĀ his chin was like old porcelain at the end.Ā 

• Paid Members

Guess it makes sense in that neither is a challenger for Jones anytime soon so they might as well face eachother.

Gusty is getting knocked out in front of his home fans again, isnt he!?

• Paid Members

Well heā€™s 1-1 for UFC performances in Sweden, with drastically different results. Got KOā€™d by Crumble the first time as you say. But he returned and absolutely battered Glover Teixeira the next time they were there. Probably his best showing in the UFC to date.Ā 

I like Gus but Iā€™m actually rooting for Smith in this one. Seems like a really good guy and I think itā€™d be a shame if he just fizzled out now. And itĀ sounds mad but ifĀ he beats Gus heā€™s right back in the convo in the title picture.Ā 

• Paid Members

i was up for Gusty/Walker but have no real issues with Smith getting the slot. Good indicator to see where Gusty is, if he comes out and finishes Smith it'll be a bit of a statement after that poor Jones performance.Ā 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Iā€™m hoping it means theyā€™ve convinced Walker to wait for the Jones vs Santos winner.Ā 

As fun a fight as that sounds, it goes to show how little competition there is for the title in the LHW division. We're talking about a guy that hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10 and who only has 3 fights in the UFC, potentially getting a shot at the belt.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think thatā€™s down to 2 issues. 1) Jones has just pretty much cleared out the division. He ran through the old guard like Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Belfort etcĀ over his first couple of years as champ. Then schooled the next wave of top 205ers like Cormier, Gustafsson and Teixeira. And 2) the division is currently in a transitional period where the old wave are fading out but the new guys like Reyes, Walker, Rakic, SantosĀ etc are still establishing themselves. Itā€™s Jones being so good that makes the division feel like itā€™s lacking contenders. If you took Jones out of that weight class tomorrow and he went up to heavyweight full time, Iā€™ve no doubt weā€™d see a very competitive title picture at 205 with the belt hot potatoing all over the place. Jones is just making the division feel weaker than it is because heā€™s so far ahead of the rest. And I canā€™t see it changing anytime soon.Ā 

• Paid Members

yeh, the 205 landscape is changing quickly, Walker getting a shot without beating anyone in the top 10 sounds absurd but i wouldnt complain as it stands, doesnt look like its going to happen though.

Jones/Santos is the right fight to make. If Walker beats a Gusty next then he's locked in to get the shot after.

The one name no one ever mentions is Corey Anderson, he's not the flashiest and hes hardly lighting up the social media world up but hes at #7 with 3 wins on the bounce over highly ranked opponents, he could work his way into a shot with Jones if he wins his next fight too.

Archived