Jump to content
The Natural

The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fucking hell. It goes without saying that Hughes always came off as a bit of a dick but this is obviously much more than that. Probably the scariest thing about brain injuries is that even if you recover to a large degree they can make you a completely different person emotionally and you act in ways that are alien to your family and friends. It’s a really messy situation and it must be heartbreaking for his wife and kids to see him like this. I know him and his brother were pretty much as close as brothers can be as well, as twins often are, so for him to feel like he has to distance himself it must be really bad. 

That was my initial reaction. And obviously that is often the case. 

But others aren't being as kind with Hughes. Ben Duffy of Sherdog wrote this. It summarises the general line of thinking:

Quote

 

CTE from a career of 50-plus fights, not to mention a horrific vehicular accident that left him comatose, could certainly account for this violent behavior, but...

...Matt Hughes was by many accounts an unconscionable bully and mean-spirited guy from the beginning. And those "many accounts" would include his own: the stuff he gleefully talks about doing in his own autobiography makes him sound like a complete sociopath, not only for the things he did to family members and teammates, but for seemingly finding nothing wrong about it.

It may be that all that's changed now is that Matt's ability to manage his temper has been compromised, which is absolutely a primary sign of CTE, especially frontal lobe damage, which affects impulse control. But it's not exactly a new monster that's emerging.

 

I actually somehow forgot some of the stuff in Hughes's book. I disliked him prior to reading the book. But I was conscious that TUF's editing had perhaps stitched him up a bit. I also thought he was just a smug prick, as opposed to a complete scumbag. Although, there was that scene where he made light of Din Thomas's lips. That would have caused all sorts of problems if it aired today.

I nevertheless bought the book to hear his thoughts on Big Timmey, Couture, Tito and others. But his distaste for those lot was only the tip of the iceberg. See here for a brief summary of the book's content. Be warned, things take an especially grim turn in Chapter 4 - https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/145504227/

Who knows where the truth lies. But the last paragraph of Duffy's post does seem plausible. 

 

Edited by jimufctna24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey. I've always hated Matt Hughes and his hillbilly god-fearing schtick, but that book summary puts him at an entirely new level of cuntitude. It boggles the mind to think of the things some people cheerfully confess to. To quote P.J. O'Rourke: ‚ÄúYou can't shame or humiliate modern celebrities. What used to be called shame and humiliation is now called publicity. And forget traditional character assassination; if you say a modern celebrity is an adulterer, a pervert and a drug addict, all it means is that you've read his autobiography.‚ÄĚ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have Hughes' book, im gonna have to re-read it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think Hughes has suddenly went from an easy-going, affable chap to someone who's temper can snap at the slightest thing due to his accident. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, with him being a bit of a dick (by our standards anyway, his upbringing and where he's from in the US will undoubtedly have played a part) and the trauma he's suffered throughout his career and obviously from his accident has exacerbated it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't wish being hit by a train on anyone, but if I was pushed to choose someone it would be someone like him. Robbing him of his physical presence and all of the attributes that allowed him to bully people his entire life is karma in its purest form.

I wonder how he framed his whole faux God-fearin' lifestyle and him being chosen by God with his God sending a huge fuck-off train to take him out of action?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, I don't think Hughes has suddenly went from an easy-going, affable chap to someone who's temper can snap at the slightest thing due to his accident. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, with him being a bit of a dick (by our standards anyway, his upbringing and where he's from in the US will undoubtedly have played a part) and the trauma he's suffered throughout his career and obviously from his accident has exacerbated it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't wish being hit by a train on anyone, but if I was pushed to choose someone it would be someone like him. Robbing him of his physical presence and all of the attributes that allowed him to bully people his entire life is karma in its purest form.

I wonder how he framed his whole faux God-fearin' lifestyle and him being chosen by God with his God sending a huge fuck-off train to take him out of action?

 

Like all those types do when something bad happens, it'll be a "test" like Abraham and Job. Why the deity chooses to give such tests will remain unanswered, or the testee will consider himself as being "chosen". From that book review on Sherdog, though, it would seem Hughes just paid lip service to Christianity to mask his mental illness, the trick of the psychopath. 

And it's not just "being a bit of a dick" - if what he said in his autobiography is accurate, then he was a sex offender and an animal torturer. Piece of shit he is. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

And it's not just "being a bit of a dick" - if what he said in his autobiography is accurate, then he was a sex offender and an animal torturer. Piece of shit he is.

Yeah, that was sarcasm on my part. He's undoubtedly one of those guys who, if he hadn't been born, raised and lived in Smalltown, USA would have done some time behind bars and had a completely different life.

But, guys like him in towns like that? They tend to be protected and given the benefit of the doubt from an early age, when they're considered too important to the high school football team and the wrestling team. That kind of shit happens all the time in places such as that, with the rest of the world only hearing about it if one of their "stars" gets done for murder or some other heinous crime that can't be covered up by the local good ol' boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, the jocks are certainly protected and given a weird exalted status in America (look at Brock Turner), small town or not. You can say that boxing/mma provide an outlet for people who would otherwise become serial killers to let out their rage, but in Hughes' case, it would seem like he had major faults long before he thought about fighting for a career. Christ, the whole thing is just so fucked up and it's a shame nobody picked up on how out of control he was sooner.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Christ, the whole thing is just so fucked up and it's a shame nobody picked up on how out of control he was sooner.

From what I've read it was well-known how out of control he was. The difference between then and now is that he's not in a position to be making himself, or those involved around him, any money anymore.

It's all too easy to condemn someone when they've outlived their usefulness.

Edited by David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, and while it might be easy, he should absolutely be condemned. You really shouldn't have to have someone tell you that shagging your bird after she's just had surgery or mutilating a live piglet isn't OK. If those around him knew about how much of a nutter he was, then they should probably be asking themselves some questions about their own ethics and worth, regardless of how much money Hughes was making for the biz. Dana, I'm looking at you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's just expressing the views he's been taught since birth, isn't he? A woman has no place in a public setting dressed like that in his view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David said:

I wonder how he framed his whole faux God-fearin' lifestyle and him being chosen by God with his God sending a huge fuck-off train to take him out of action?

He framed it as god punishing him for sinning. 

 

5 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

From that book review on Sherdog, though, it would seem Hughes just paid lip service to Christianity to mask his mental illness, the trick of the psychopath. 

I believe Hughes only became a devout Christian in the 2000s. A friend talked him into it. He didn't take religion seriously before that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignore. Sorry.

Edited by Chunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, David said:

He's just expressing the views he's been taught since birth, isn't he? A woman has no place in a public setting dressed like that in his view.

hang on, you ripped into Anthony Joshua when he made a light hearted comment regarding his niece and how she be raised a few years ago didnt you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...