The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine if they were waiting until after UFC 235 to announce Jones vs DC III only for Smith to somehow win? 

The fact that Dana's saying they have the fight and date set already but aren't talking suggests it's either Jones (and they're waiting on him beating Smith) or it's Brock, and there's some sort of paperwork they need to finalise before announcing.

If it was Stipe they'd likely just announce it now, wouldn't they? Why wait?

• Paid Members

Yeah I think it’s got to be Jones or Lesnar. Maybe the hold up with Brock could be WrestleMania? Is it looking like Brock is working Mania this year? He will be, won’t he? I can see him taking a little break from WWE after that and going into camp for a fight with DC on the big July PPV. That would work out nicely and allow Brock to get a 3 month camp in after Mania. Or failing that, yeah Jones 3 if we must see that again. 

They are said to be reluctant to confirm the date and opponent due to DC's injuries. So aye, plans are seemingly very tentative. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting Brock or other things as well. 

Dana:

“Nothing can be released until he’s healthy and we know he’s ready to go,” White said. “Until he gives me the call that he’s ready to fight again…no.”

Oh, and GSP is heavily rumoured to be announcing his retirement tomorrow.  Negotiations are said to have failed for a bout between him and Khabib

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Anderson Silva vs Jared Cannonier is on for UFC 237 in Brazil in May according to MMAJunkie. 

Considering this may very well be his retirement fight I'm pretty disappointed in who his opponent is. I figured we'd get a decent name for that fight.

• Paid Members

yeh thats pretty disappointing. Fight wise it'll be a good one but i thought they may try and bust out some legacy type fight for the occasion. Anderson just seems down to fight anyone though, gotta love that about him.

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/2/21/18234459/two-division-champion-amanda-nunes-rules-out-fighting-at-ufc-237

I don't know if it's due to poor ticket sales, or they were hoping Nunes Vs Holm would be a draw locally in Brazil, but the UFC have moved the event from the larger 45,000 seater stadium on Curitiba to an arena in Rio.

Thinking about it, tickets probably aren't even on sale yet. Plus, the show has Anderson Silva and likely Jose Aldo on it, both bigger draws than Amanda Nunes, so losing her off the show is unlikely to be the reason they've moved it. Who knows, but it feels like it'll be a fairly packed card all the same. 

• Paid Members

Fucking awesome fight that. And it’s actually got more background to it than a lot of people might initially realise as it’s a rematch. They fought all the way back in 2012. It was Holloway’s UFC debut and only his 5th pro fight. Poirier was 11-1 but hadn’t really done much yet. Poirier won by submission in a round with a mounted triangle/armbar. 

g3EX41.jpg

But as short as the fight was I clearly remember thinking that Holloway looked like a real talent even from that 3 minutes or so. And he was only 20 years old at the time.

It’s pretty cool that they’re fighting again now at this level and with such high stakes when you look back at that first fight. Can’t wait for this fight now. I went to sleep last night not even thinking about this at all and now, just like that, it’s my most anticipated fight of 2019 so far. 

Guess Ferguson is going to sit out and wait for Khabib. Can’t blame him really, he earned that shot over 2 years ago when he beat Kevin Lee and then he solidified that with the Anthony Pettis bloodbath win in October. But sitting out rarely works out and with this Holloway vs Poirier fight being an interim title fight, the winner of this is surely going to leapfrog Mad Tony. 

And I wonder what happens at 145 now, with Max taking this fight. Does he relinquish the 145 belt, do they strip him? They shouldn’t but with this being an interim fight, you have to assume that locks Max in at 155 for at least 2 fights - Poirier and then if he wins that Khabib. Unless he can beat Poirier, then go back down and squeeze in a 145 defence before Khabib comes back. So many questions. Probably be another interim at 145 with some combination of Edgar, Volkanovski, Ortega, Aldo? 

As stoked as I am to see this fight, it's another instance where they're fucking up a division to possibly create another stupid "champ champ" situation. It won't be long before we have more champions holding two belts than just holding the one!

• Paid Members

You’re absolutely right but in this case at 155, they’ve got to do something because it looks like Khabib might sit out most of the year until his teammates suspensions are served. This is one of the rare times when an interim belt kind of made sense but because they always do it, it does feel like a case of ‘this shite again?’ I don’t have an issue with Max going up either. Even if it’s a permanent move (which it probably isn’t) as he’s done pretty much all there is to do at 145 and the cut is clearly a struggle for him. Now seems a perfect time to move up to 155. So while the situation isn’t ideal, with the 155 belt being on ice and Khabib and Ferguson on the sidelines, the division needs to move on and this is as good a fight as they could’ve made given the circumstances. To be honest, I’m just glad that if they insisted on another interim title, they’ve at least included Poirier in it and not done McGregor vs Cowboy for the interim belt like the rumour suggested. Poirier deserves this. 

Archived