The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Paul2j said:

Brilliant London card.

What is the format of these cards going forwards in terms of prelim/main card split of fights? 

Yeah like Egg says above, UFC cards will generally have about 12 or 13 fights altogether, split into 3 lots for main card, TV prelims and early prelims. 

There’s only been 8 fights announced for London so far so probably another 4 or 5 to come yet. The rest will probably just be filler now though. The meat and potatoes of the card looks pretty set. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaethje vs Barboza set to headline ESPN 2. Great fight.

I love Gaethje. Obviously, it's difficult not to root for him with his immense output of fights over the years, but in a sport which is now so dominated by money, negotiations, trash talk, interim titles, it's so refreshing to have a bloke who will crack on and fight whichever guy the company decides to put in front of him. As soon as he signed with the UFC he's faced killer after killer after killer and I don't recall him making any fuss once. 

13 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

As soon as he signed with the UFC he's faced killer after killer after killer and I don't recall him making any fuss once.

Which is why he'll most likely be riddled with CTE symptoms and counting his pennies after medical costs in his old age while more savvy fighters will still be able to tie their own shoes and pay for their daughters weddings and grandkids Christmas presents.

I like Gaethje, but let's not pretend that the way he's going about business is the right way to do it. And I know, he's spoken about getting in, making as much money as he can, and getting out quick, but guess what? He's been throwing hands for going on eight years now and he's thirty years of age. 

Not only that, a quick look at his fight record shows that not only has he been involved in violent fights for years now, but he's not taken much time between wars to recover. 

He started in Rage in the Cage in 2011, fighting 7 times in 15 months. Next up was WSOF, where he fought 10 times in 3 years and 9 months. He's fought four times in the UFC in the span of just over a year.

Throughout his career the longest time he's taken between fights was nine months one time, with breaks of six months being the most outside of that a handful of times.

His UFC breaks between fights have been five, four, four, and seven months between his last and next fight.

• Paid Members

The GOAT has been released!

Artem Lobov has been let go by the UFC. Hes gone straight to twitter and called out Malignaggi and Khan to box and thrown his hat in the K-1 ring. There no stopping him.

Say what you want about Lobov, but he fought seven times in the UFC which is remarkable for someone who clearly isn't even close to that level. At 13-15 he'll likely pick up a decent deal elsewhere before retiring with a decent wedge in the bank.

Not bad at all. I think Askren probably doesn't know that Lobov is also laughing, all the way to the bank in a relative sense for someone of his ability.

• Paid Members

yep, god bless him. Im not sure the new twitter game is gimmick or the CTE kicking in though?

Any promotion outside of the UFC should really lool to sign Lobov because just having Lobov on a card likely brings McGregor with it. Just having Conor rack up in a crowd these days is news so if i was a promoter id be clamouring for that signature.

Interesting article about Wanderlei Silva - https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Wanderlei-Silva-Says-He-Suffers-from-Multiple-Concussion-Symptoms-Has-No-Plans-to-Retire-149345

After 51 professional fights, Wanderlei Silva is feeling the effects of a career filled with slugfests in the cage and ring. In an interview with Brazilian outlet PVT, “The Axe Murderer” revealed that he is suffering from multiple concussion-like symptoms. Silva’s combat sports career spans 29 years overall, and his pro MMA tenure began in 1996. “I was in a lecture about concussion and of the 10 symptoms the guy mentioned, I had eight,” Silva said (translation via MMAFighting.com). “The symptoms would be, for example, mood swings, getting angry very fast, forgetting some things, having difficulty sleeping.”

The former UFC and Pride Fighting Championships star has squared off with some of the sports biggest names over the years, including the likes of Mirko Filipovic, Quinton Jackson, Chuck Liddell, Mark Hunt, Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Michael Bisping and Tito Ortiz, to name a few. While seven of Silva’s 14 career losses have come via KO or TKO, he’s also absorbed plenty of damage in hard sparring sessions especially early in his career.

“I, for example, believed that the the more you got punched, the more you could take it. And it’s the opposite: the more you get, the less you can take in a fight,” Silva said. “If I could leave a tip for the young guys, it would be don’t hit yourselves every day. If you have a young student, don’t let him take too many punches to the head. There’s the right moment to do a hard training, but it can’t be every day. A good coach takes care of your student.”

Now 42, Silva still doesn’t plan on calling it a career. He last competed at Bellator 206 this past September, when he suffered a TKO defeat to Jackson in a trilogy bout. The Brazilian veteran is targeting a rematch with Belfort, should “The Phenom” sign with Bellator. I can fight him twice if he wants, no problem at all,” Silva said. “I’m fine, I’m healthy, I’m training, and at this point of [our] careers would be great for everyone. … I can’t end my career without this fight.”

Silva said that he wants to donate his brain to concussion research after he dies. I thought a lot about it and even tried to contact people to make this donation,” Silva said. “I have the most interested in donating, since I won’t be using it anyway [laughs]. This area is very important.”

He's mental. An absolute lunatic. 

And remember this guy's prime was 2001-2005. The wars were starting to catch up with him 15 years ago. 

Archived