The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Stephen Thompson vs Anthony Pettis at Welterweight? Holy shit.

I'm beginning to wonder if Pettis is starting to grasp at straws now. He came in at lightweight, eventually lost three on the bounce and dropped to featherweight where he went 1-1, then he shifted back to lightweight and has went 2-2, and now he's not only moving up to welterweight but going in against a big fucking welterweight in Stephen Thompson.

Can't see it ending well for him to be honest.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well Sergio just moved up and realised that being the smaller man in the cage can work against you. That said, Anthony Pettis/Wonderboy is a brilliant stylistic fight, I'd love to see it.

Fuck's sake Pettis is going to have have his pockets full of rocks to near the max weight. Being well hydrated and the quicker man will only get you so far. 

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Well Sergio just moved up and realised that being the smaller man in the cage can work against you. That said, Anthony Pettis/Wonderboy is a brilliant stylistic fight, I'd love to see it.

He's fighting Stephen Thompson, not Anthony.

• Paid Members

Fuck, 235 is suddenly looking stacked to fuck. Jones vs Smith, Woodley vs Usman and Askren vs Lawler is a pretty sweet top 3. Then you’ve got Zabit vs Stephens and a couple of old vs new clashes with Diego Sanchez vs Mickey Gall and Holly Holm vs Aspen Ladd. 

The other day I was scratching my head what could headline 235, i love Askren-Lawler but it was never going to headline, now we’ve got a proper loaded card. 

7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Haha I think Rey was thinking of Anthony Johnson. You know, as in Anthony ‘Rumble’ Thompson. Am I right ReyPissed? 

Kind of, I was thinking of Rumble, but the nickname was Mr Wonderful which is Phil Davis. Which getting 2 black guys mixed up is going to look more like i'm Rey's Cyst. They even fought at UFC 172.

co-main_Weighin.0.jpg

Of course there is Anthony Thompson, but he's a boxer not a MMA fighter.

Why push Colby so hard if they're not going to give him the title shot? Madness.  Man's the legit no.1 contender, nobody can argue with that. It looks like Woodley wanted Colby - probably the easier fight and definitely more money in the fight.  But once again he's been shafted by the brass.  I think they just like to piss him off. 

Archived