The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

It's why I don't really get why the ex Pride guys get so much shit for PED use. That was the lay of the land over there. Plus do we really think the UFC guys back then were whiter than white? Pride didn't test but they didn't pretend they did either. No-ones telling me Randy Couture of 2007, with his stupidly wide back and big old HGH head, was clean as a whistle. He was practically glowing green in the Gonzaga fight. And I'm sure most of them were partaking in drugs of the performance enhancing variety. The UFC did test, but knowing what we know now, you'd have to be a complete fucking dummy to get caught back then. Testing wasn't what it is now. The fact that test failures were so rare back then speaks volumes. It certainly wasn't because the sport was cleaner.

They'll never completely beat it, but they're doing a much better job of making life difficult for the cheaters now than they ever have before.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I follow road cycling fairly closely and I always remember ( I think it was) the big name sprinter from the 90's Erik Zabel mentioning that if you didnt dope you were frowned upon by your team mates as it was neglectful almost like missing training sessions or being overweight.

I cant hate on the Pride guys 1 bit. I dont think they were bigger dopers than the UFC guys of the time.

I still believe its incredibly prevelant in alot of todays sport, I get funnily looks from my mates when I say that but I really believe its hooching the majority of sports.

Sorry I went a bit off topic!

It's why I don't really get why the ex Pride guys get so much shit for PED use. That was the lay of the land over there. Plus do we really think the UFC guys back then were whiter than white? 

Since it went under, there's been a growing anti-Pride sentiment, and not just amongst the fans. Dana has cooled it in recent years, but he really used to lay the boot in. He was dismissing Gomi's talents in 2007 - mere months after Pride folded. Newer fans and UFC die-hards lapped it all up.

No-ones telling me Randy Couture of 2007, with his stupidly wide back and big old HGH head, was clean as a whistle. He was practically glowing green in the Gonzaga fight. And I'm sure most of them were partaking in drugs of the performance enhancing variety. The UFC did test, but knowing what we know now, you'd have to be a complete fucking dummy to get caught back then. Testing wasn't what it is now. The fact that test failures were so rare back then speaks volumes. It certainly wasn't because the sport was cleaner.

2007 was a weird year. Sherk and Franca got busted in the Summer. As did various fighters on the K1 Dynamite card - including Royce Gracie. At the time, it seemed like the testing had caught up with the fighter's little tricks. 

However, Couture stood out like a sore thumb. It's funny you mentioned the Gonzaga fight - everyone online was expecting Couture to test positive afterwards. Fighting Spirit magazine even printed a small section acknowledging the rumours (HGH was mentioned). Yet, he seemingly tested negative. There was something fishy about the whole thing. 

• Paid Members

Quick question for you folks that have been to a Uk Fight Pass/Fight Night show before. What kind of prices do you think I'd be looking at for the Fight Night card in Belfast for the cheap-mid price tickets? Thanks guys.

Tickets at the back you're normally looking about £50 including the booking fee for the cheap seats. About 150 for near the front of a first tier.

In the UK we seem to get pretty screwed on ticket prices for smaller events.

• Paid Members

For quite some time their ticket pricing was massively at odds with how popular they were. For about five events straight it was a guarantee that you could get free tickets if you attended the weigh ins the night before. Those days are long gone now though. The rise of Rousey and McGregor has made it arguably more popular than it's ever been before.

Has anyone else noticed the popularity rise? Even two years ago I would've never imagined that there'd be so many fans in my office that we'd have a predictions league, but someone started one this week. The only annoyance is that watching it for so long, and being such a hardcore fan, probably won't help me in predicting the outcomes of all these fights.

For quite some time their ticket pricing was massively at odds with how popular they were. For about five events straight it was a guarantee that you could get free tickets if you attended the weigh ins the night before. Those days are long gone now though. The rise of Rousey and McGregor has made it arguably more popular than it's ever been before.

Has anyone else noticed the popularity rise? Even two years ago I would've never imagined that there'd be so many fans in my office that we'd have a predictions league, but someone started one this week. The only annoyance is that watching it for so long, and being such a hardcore fan, probably won't help me in predicting the outcomes of all these fights.

Some cracking points there. I used to be a "hardcore" fan. Got the tapes of pride and all that but I lapsed. Nowadays Supes is bang on the money, people in the office talk about it. That wasn't the case a few years back, dependant on the office of course!

• Paid Members

UFC matchmaker Joe Silva is planning on retiring at the end of this year. I think that will be a significant loss to the company.

Outside of Dana, that has to be the biggest loss the company can have. Lets hope Sean Shelby has been paying attention and gets a good handover.

• Paid Members

Everyone freaked out when Burt Watson left saying they would fall apart backstage without him. Things ended up working out fine.

Same with Joe Silva. Yes he's done a great job, but there will be plenty of people out there who could do his job.

Don't get me wrong, there's more to his job than simply match making, and I'm not downplaying his contribution, but the ufc are too big of a company to bring in someone who can't cope with the role.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more than 1 replacement come in to reduce the workload.

Archived