The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Oh fuck. Rashad vs Kennedy is almost going to be like a middleweight Big Nog vs Mir for me. I'll be fucking gutted if Kennedy beats Rashad.

Think this middleweight move is too little too late for Rashad as well but let's see. I'm guessing he's seen Bisping win the title and Hendo getting a crack at him, 2 guys he's beat, and thinks why not? But that division's in bizzaro land temporarily while the real beasts of the division regroup. Once Rockhold, Weidman, Romero and Jacare get back at it it's over for the Bispings, Hendos, Rashads and Belforts of the world as far as title hopes (or reigns, in Bisping's case) go.

Just please let Rashad beat Kennedy.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wants a title fight after that if he wins, since He holds a win over Bisping, can't see the UFC giving him anything.

Hopefully they make a second series of that show he was on Finding Hitler, who would be about 120 and was apparently hiding out in Argentina if he escaped Germany in 1945 and wasn't obviously dead.

• Paid Members

Not sure whether this should be classed as MMA news, but in awful news for Chael Sonnen, his newly born daughter who was born 10 weeks early, passed away yesterday. She had complications due to suffering from Listeria which was passed on via Sonnen's wife after eating a bacteria found in contaminated food. 

Horrible for the two of them. 

So I logged onto facebook this morning and saw a site with the headline "Terrible news,RIP SONNEN" with a black and white picture of Chael Sonnen. My heart literally sank, I clicked on the link and as it was loading I was thinking "man I was only discussing his comeback the other day" and then when the page loaded it was the above news. So shitty that sites try to get hits like that

• Paid Members

Chael since done a podcast addressing the situation, that may be a tough listen.

The podcast was done before his daughter's passing. I've yet to listen to it personally as he's still discussing her condition so as you say, will be tough. 

• Paid Members

Awful news about Chael's daughter. It was nice to see the outpouring of support for him on Twitter last night. We're expecting our first child any day now. Can't even imagine what they must be going through.

As we're off on a tangent ...

Congrats and all the best for the birth. I had my first one 6 months ago. Ignore anyone that spouts the doomsday bullshit about your life being over. It' nonsense.

Awful news about Chael's daughter. It was nice to see the outpouring of support for him on Twitter last night. We're expecting our first child any day now. Can't even imagine what they must be going through.

Oh wow, congrats to you both, Supes, that's wonderful news!

• Paid Members

Thanks guys! It wasn't my intent to selfishly create that tangent, but it's appreciated all the same.

Obviously things may have changed now, and hearing such awful news really puts things into perspective, but Front Row Brian, who's tight with Chael, was talking about the UFC hoping to put Chael against Nick Diaz in Madison Square Garden. That'd be magic if they ever did it.

• Paid Members

Yeah congratulations Supremo. That 9 months has really flown by. You'll be completely knackered all the time but it's totally worth it. Best thing you'll ever do.

Really horrible news about Chael's daughter. Don't want to take this on a tangent myself but I do actually kind of know what he's going through and it's going to be hell for him and his wife. You never ever get over it 100%. I'd be very surprised if he's fighting anytime soon.

Bellator have released Marcin Held, he's only 24 and has fought about 18 times for them with only 3 loses one to Dave Jansen (who they released a while ago) he just avenged that loss and Will Brooks & Michael Chandler (former & current champions), looks like they don't want any depth to their roster, they released a few top 5 in Bellator fighters a while back, probably give the money to Gabe Ruediger or some other former TUF guy, they are turning into TNA.

One Championship (formerly One FC) have banned Soccer kicks, this is most likely to do with PR as the Singapore government have invested in them, they changed their name a year or two ago as the word Fighting in the name put off sponsors, they will still have knees to a downed opponent and scoring the fight as a whole, similar to Pride.

Archived