The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, Lamas is a harder fight than either Cole Miller or Dennis Siver would've been IMO. And those were the two Penn was being lined up to fight before.

It's a weird situation. If Penn absolutely must return, and I really wish he wouldn't, then I think I'd rather just see him in there with a name like Urijah Faber or something. He'd still lose but, I dunno, I have no interest in seeing him fight Lamas. Penn vs Faber would be a bit sad in 2016, as it was a genuine dream fight at one point, but at least it'd be some kind of novelty seeing two of the pioneers of the lighter weight classes against each other. As it stands though, they both think they can make another title run so they're both in there with younger, lesser known fighters because they're starting at the bottom of the ladder again. I guess my point is I've just got no interest in seeing them even try to climb that ladder again. It's done. So just throw them in with each other or something. Like if Matt Hughes and Matt Serra came back, I'd much rather watch them fight each other than see, say, Hughes vs Neil Magny and Serra vs Lorenz Larkin.

And yeah, I get that Penn is much further gone than Faber but I just don't see either getting that title shot they're after at this stage in the game. Penn's completely finished and I'm convinced that Faber's been slipping for a while now.

• Paid Members

a slipping Faber still destroys Penn for me at this stage.

I see your point though wand. The fact that Penn wants to take on such a legitimate fighter at 145 leads me to believe that he wants to make a serious run at it, but you wouldn't really expect anything different from BJ Penn would you? Is it too late for Penn/Pulver III? :laugh:

• Paid Members

That is a great fight. I always wanted to see that when they were both at flyweight, just because they were probably the two hardest hitters at 125 at the time. It'll probably be a better actual fight at bantamweight though, as they'll both come in with more energy and Lineker will make weight.

Sadly though, I think Dodson wins. I'd love nothing more than to see Lineker smash his irritating little face in but I just think Dodson has more tools and is quicker. Can see Dodson going the wrestling route actually. While he could probably stand with Lineker and possibly win, why play Lineker at his own game?

Dodson decision for me :(

• Paid Members

Yeah, they're doing a UFC 204 press conference either before or after the 202 weigh ins as well, I think. And Bisping and Hendo should be there, which should make for an entertaining presser.

Edited for my stupidity :/

Archived