The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nelson by one punch KO. Sticking my neck out there, aren't I? Fuck, Bigfoot is so done at this point it's not even like you have to think about it. Without even looking up his record he must've been KO'd about 5 or 6 times in the last few years, and off the top of my head, all in the first round.

If Dana hasn't had the 'Chuck Liddell' talk with him yet, he probably should do that. Not feed him to one of the biggest hitters on the roster.

• Paid Members

Whats the over/under on Bigfoot lasting here? 1 minute 30 seconds? I really cant see a way he gets out the round.

I hate to say it but he's fucking spent. I would actually fancy most light-heavyweights to KO now to be fair. You know a guys shot when you cant think off a match-up they would make where you would give him a resonable chance.

Wandys right its like Chuck or Pulver here to me

• Paid Members

Yeah it's October 8th at the Manchester Arena apparently. Helwani says the main event will start at around 5am UK time so the Yanks can watch it at a decent time. Alright for some, eh?

Card so far...

Michael Bisping vs Dan Henderson 2 - Middleweight Title

Vitor Belfort vs Gegard Mousasi

Jimi Manuwa vs Ovince Saint Preux

Stefan Struve vs Ruslan Magomedov

Leonardo Santos vs Adriano Martins

Looking good so far but could do with beefing up a bit if they're putting it on PPV. One more decent name fight should do the trick then fill the rest with British/Irish/European fighters.

Helwani also said they're doing a UFC 204 press conference the day before UFC 202. So I expect they'll be officially announcing 204 any day now and will confirm when tickets go on sale and stuff.

• Paid Members

I didn't know Jim Wallhead had signed with the UFC. He's fighting someone called Jessin Ayari on the Hamburg show next month.

Few other fights coming up I didn't know about...

- Sam Alvey vs Kevin Casey (Aug 27, Fight Night: Maia vs Condit)

- Evan Dunham vs Abel Trujillo (Sep 17th, Fight Night: Poirier vs Johnson)

- Paul Felder vs Francisco Trinaldo (Sep 24th, Fight Night: Cyborg vs Lansberg)

- Erick Silva vs Brandon Thatch (Sep 24th, Fight Night: Cyborg vs Lansberg)

- Louis Smolka vs Sergio Pettis (Oct 1st, Fight Night: Portland)

- Nate Marquardt vs Tamdan McCrory (Oct 1st, Fight Night, Portland)

- Will Brooks vs Alex Oliveira (Oct 1st, Fight Night: Portland)

Some good fights there. Particularly like the sound of Silva vs Thatch and Smolka vs Pettis.

- Erick Silva vs Brandon Thatch (Sep 24th, Fight Night: Cyborg vs Lansberg)

Do you think this is a kind of "Loser Leaves UFC" fight? Both are on losing streaks (Sliva 0-2, Thatch 0-3) and you would think that the loser would be let go by the UFC. It's a pity, as both had a good record coming into the UFC.

Nah, I reckon both would get another shot. Both are highly entertaining fighters, rarely in a boring fight (especially Silva) - I mean didn't Maynard go 0-4/0-5 or something like that?

Shame they have to fight each other in such slumps but it should be a terrific fight.

• Paid Members

Yeah and Jake Ellenberger was on a terrible run before the Matt Brown fight last week. And it's not like he'd been losing really exciting wars either. He'd looked awful over a good 6 or 7 fight period. And they were only just considering cutting him.

You never know, Silva vs Thatch could be a loser leaves thing. A lot depends on how the fight goes. But these days they need bodies to fill out all these shows. And these two are fun to watch. It's not the time to be letting exciting fighters go.

Yeah, as much as UFC's quantity of shows has been talked about as a negative in terms of oversaturation- I've done that myself- it's great for keeping fighters on the roster. They need bodies to fill shows, and then there's the issue of Bellator making plays for fighters the level of Ellenberger. Him, Thatch and Silva would all be great additions to a rival promotion, and provided they don't have to break the bank to keep them, it's in the best interest of UFC to do so, even if they go 0-3 or 0-4.

Exciting and talented fighters should be given extra rope. On the flipside, boring fighters like Jon Fitch and Jake Shields are given the boot at the very first opportunity, and while it seems (well, is) unfair, does anyone miss those two?

• Paid Members

Invicta strawweight Alexa Grasso is making her UFC debut in November against Heather Jo Clark. Grasso is 23 years old, undefeated at 8-0, Mexican and looks like this...

YuwtM.jpg

Not surprised they've snapped her up. She could potentially be their Latina version of Paige VanZant.

UFC 204 spells disaster for me, when I went to Silva v Bisping there were people drunk and getting into arguments about 10pm, what kind of state are people going to be in at 5am?

I'm on the fence about whether or not I'm going to bother to try and get tickets, I have seen bisping fight this year already and I have neve rbeen a huge Hendo fan. Plus staying up all night just to watch Bisping get KO'ed would be a real shitter!

On the flip side to all this if I went I probably wouldn't bother booking a hotel and just head to the train station at 6 to catch first train home

Archived