The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Few fights I didn't know were happening...

Michelle Waterson vs Aisling Daly (UFC Hamburg, Germany - Sep 3)

Joanne Calderwood vs Jessica Andrade (UFC 203 - Sep 10)

Dustin Poirier vs Michael Johnson (UFC Fight Night - Sep 17)

Like the sound of them. Poirier vs Johnson is headlining their Fight Night as well. I can't see it going the full 5 rounds but I like that it's a 5 rounder anyway. Should be a great fight.

I'll be torn on Waterson vs Daly, really like both. Should be a fun one though. And sadly, I've got a strong feeling Calderwood's getting destroyed. Jessica Andrade is a little monster.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone on here read John Kavanhs's new book?

I'm about 2/3rds of the way in, so fairly close to finishing it. Its an enjoyable read, really easy to read and by that I mean anyone could pick it up and look through with little to none mma knowledge, however it's more John telling Connor McGregor's story from his perspective as a trainer, with a few brief bits on his career and start up of a gym tied in with even sparser paragraphs on his other SBG Fighters.

Kind of a bizzare book really. Enjoyable though. Nothing major has really come up although you'd have likely known that already as the press would have picked up on it. Some of the stuff on Connors mental attitude is interesting if you don't know as much on that front like myself.

• Paid Members

didn't even realise he'd released a book, i may check it out. Cheers for the headsup.

Just looked it up on amazon and saw that Ronda's book is currently available on kindle for £1.99.

• Paid Members

Putting a few pieces of the puzzle together, is Chael Sonnen coming on to today's MMA Hour to announce his return? I'm guessing he's probably not but there's a couple of things to suggest otherwise.

Officially Sonnen's suspension was up a few days ago, and within the time frame the UFC announced an event to take place in October in his home state of Portland, Oregon. 

Putting a few pieces of the puzzle together, is Chael Sonnen coming on to today's MMA Hour to announce his return? I'm guessing he's probably not but there's a couple of things to suggest otherwise.

Officially Sonnen's suspension was up a few days ago, and within the time frame the UFC announced an event to take place in October in his home state of Portland, Oregon. 

I always felt he would come back once his suspension was up. He's one of them, I don't see him being a major player but he's the sort of guy who can pull a win out of nowhere

Ronda's book btw is pretty decent, I read it last summer. The stage of her life between the Olympics and Strikeforce is interesting

didn't even realise he'd released a book, i may check it out. Cheers for the headsup.

Just looked it up on amazon and saw that Ronda's book is currently available on kindle for £1.99.

Got John's book far cheaper in print compared to both brand new and on kindle via Amazon's used and new section where they sell from other providers. Just a heads up for anyone. Got the book half the price of what Amazon officially sold it for.

• Paid Members

The end of this year sees both Chael Sonnen and Nick Diaz come off suspension. It's only a matter of time before one or both of them fails a test though. So now is the time when they need to book that fight, during this small window where it's possible. It's one of the few non-title fights that could genuinely headline a pay per view. Imagine the build up. Wolf tickets.

• Paid Members

I never thought I'd say it but I'm not that arsed about Chael coming back at all anymore. I loved him. I'm over him. I've moved on.

Seriously, there's no fight that I'm itching to see from him now. The Diaz fight would be fun but I can live without it and there are a few Diaz fights I want to see more anyway. Plus Chael's schtick has got a bit stale for me. Maybe if he'd shut the fuck up for more than 2 nanoseconds since he retired I'd feel differently but he hasn't stopped chatting shit. I always preferred him as a talker to a fighter anyway and we've had more than our fill of him talking since he stopped fighting.

Saying all this, two of the main reasons I want to see Nick Diaz return are the potential Lawler and Bisping fights, and I can't see either of those happening while those two are champions. I don't see how they spin Diaz getting a title shot after all that's gone down, especially with the backlog of contenders at 170 and 185 already.

You're supposed to be on USADA 4 months if you plan on fighting again, if you are a new signing you can avoid this or if you retired years ago you can do the same apparently.

Why would Chael Sonnen agree to these tests, its not like they show up at other retired fighters houses wanting to test, you would tell them I'm retired fuck off, if you didn't plan on coming back.

• Paid Members

Hendo talking about the Bisping rematch (before it was confirmed);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=mmRvrDePBlw

Bisping talking about the Hendo rematch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Z3VcQ0aVoqE

:laugh: at Bisping bollocking that guy - 'If you ever wanna work on this podcast again, don't ever talk shit about a PPV that I'm trying to big up'.

If you'd said to me a few months ago that by the end of this year we'd be seeing a Michael Bisping vs Dan Henderson rematch...for the UFC title...and I'd be looking forward to it, I'd have you sectioned. But fuck me, it IS happening and I AM looking forward to it. Glad to see that Hendo seems set on this being his last fight win or lose as well.

It's been great seeing Bisping become champion but I'd love to see Hendo finally win that UFC belt and retire as champ.

I was kind of glad to see Bispng win the title, he's been an also ran at 185 for years now, always getting close and losing out at the final hurdle of getting  shot, but he just winds me up the wrong way. All Hendo has going for him now is the "H-bomb", but i would love to see Bispng get KTFO again by a Hendo big right.

• Paid Members

Bisping vs. Hendo 2 is the greatest example of the perfect fight going directly against the rankings, and who deserves it, and what's, "good for the sport," and all that shit. Dan announcing that it'll be his final fight has only added to my excitement. Either Bisping avenges his win and defends his belt in his home town, or Dan Henderson retires as the UFC Champion. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I assume everyone is on here is going to get a ticket? I don't care how late I have to stay up. I'm there.

Archived