The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Just imagine the press conference with Brock (wwe belt in front, Vince by his side), Overeem/Stipe (ufc belt in front, Dana by his side), the fighting world will never have seen anything like it.

I'm hoping the new owners are smart enough to not allow this to happen. We don't need the lines between fake wrestling and MMA to become blurry again as they were for years.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just imagine the press conference with Brock (wwe belt in front, Vince by his side), Overeem/Stipe (ufc belt in front, Dana by his side), the fighting world will never have seen anything like it.

I'm hoping the new owners are smart enough to not allow this to happen. We don't need the lines between fake wrestling and MMA to become blurry again as they were for years.

i like it apart from the Vince bit, that would suck.

• Paid Members

I'd personally do Brock/Cain and Stipe/Overeem.

Then have the winners of each fight. Hopefully resulting in Brock vs Overeem. Reckon current Overeem still kills Brock.

If they did this then Overeem wouldn't kill Brock.

He wouldn't get chance to because Cain would fucking annihilate Brock in the contenders fight. I really like Brock but the win over Hunt was as good as it's going to get for him. Hunt was the highest ranked, biggest named winnable fight style-wise they could give Brock. It was still a very dangerous fight, any fight with Mark Hunt is, but it was a fight he had a clear and realistic path to win.

If Brock is allowed to keep taking UFC fights, it's all downhill from here IMO. He'd have to fight someone ranked higher than Hunt next. He's not beating the likes of Cain, JDS, Werdum, Overeem etc. It's just not happening. None of them are as straight forward to gameplan for as Hunt was. I love Hunt but, although he's improved his overall MMA game, he's still one dimensional by today's MMA standards. Someone like Cain has too many tools for Brock to overcome. JDS and Overeem have the lethal striking AND excellent takedown defence that makes them nightmare opponents for Brock. And I can't see Brock coping with Werdum on the feet or on the ground.

I'd fancy Brock to beat someone like Roy Nelson. I think fights with Barnett and Arlovski could be interesting, although I would expect both to beat Brock as well. But his chances of fighting someone in the title picture and not getting crushed are slim as fuck realistically.

How do we think a fight between Lesnar and Cormier would turn out (if Cormier even went back to heavyweight)?

I'd actually give Brock a good chance. Cormier was always undersized at heavyweight and his striking isn't that great. He wins most of the time through wrestling pressure, I don't think he could do that to a guy with Brock's size and wrestling ability. Brock would have a lot easier time with DC than he would Stipe, Reem, Werdum or Cain.

I could definitely see Brock getting a title shot next, but I don't think they'd announce yet. I think, for both sides, dream scenario is, Overeem wins the title at 203 relatively unscathed, then they can book Lesnar vs. Reem II at the Garden.

In my opinion putting Lesnar into any kind of title picture is simply wasting him. He isn't going to succeed, so why bother? Especially when there are other more interesting fights out there?

The guy is a special attraction, and should be treated as such. Make fights that are going to be fun.

• Paid Members

Whatever happened to the 'Korean Zombie' Chan Sung Jung? Hasn't fought since losing to Aldo in 2013.

Mandatory Korean Military service. Supposed to be for 2 years which means he can return end of the year in theory. Although it will most likely be next year if he decides to fight again. 

• Paid Members

the UFC have announced the revised plan for the next season of TUF. Coaches are still Benavidez/Cejudo, and the winner will get a title shot against Mighty Mouse, but every fighter on the show is a current 125lb Champ of another promotion. The last season of TUF tanked, but i love the sound of the new concept, i might actually get back on board for this one.

image002.0.jpg

Archived